URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

305 PM EST THU FEB 3 2011

...A WINTER STORM MAY AFFECT THE REGION FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT

THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING...

.LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES

AND TRACK NORTHEASTWARD UP THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COASTLINE. THE LOW

IS EXPECTED TO BE OFF THE NEW JERSEY COAST BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON

BEFORE CONTINUING TO MOVE QUICKLY OFF TOWARDS THE NORTHEAST.

NJZ001-PAZ054-055-041000-

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0005.110205T0900Z-110206T0300Z/

SUSSEX-CARBON-MONROE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG

305 PM EST THU FEB 3 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY EVENING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW POSSIBLY MIXED WITH A LITTLE SLEET AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL START TO MOVE INTO THE AREA LATE FRIDAY NIGHT

AND CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY BEFORE STARTING TO TAPER OFF

SATURDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT AS ROADS BECOME SNOW

COVERED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$$

MEOLA

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

350 PM EST THU FEB 3 2011

NJZ007>010-PAZ060>062-067>069-042100-

WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-

MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO

SATURDAY. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW AND SOME LIGHT ICING IS POSSIBLE

++++++++++++

NEW CASTLE-CECIL-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER- SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-COASTAL OCEAN- SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO

EARLY SATURDAY. A LIGHT ACCUMULATION OF SNOW AND ICE IS POSSIBLE

BEFORE THE PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO PLAIN RAIN ON SATURDAY.

Yup, between the 18z NAM, the 12z GEM and the close call on the GFS it has been showing it could be interesting Saturday,especially for the snow starved NE portion of PA.

Lehigh Valley and Poconos look to get a pretty decent snow event.

It's a fairly close call for our area...but still looks more wet than white. Wouldn't rule out an inch or two of wet snow at the end of the event here.

Lehigh Valley and Poconos look to get a pretty decent snow event.

It's a fairly close call for our area...but still looks more wet than white. Wouldn't rule out an inch or two of wet snow at the end of the event here.

If the slop ends as 1-3" of snow in our neck of the woods I'd consider it a success. The trends in general have been more positive the past 24 hours, that's fore sure.

I doubt we'll get 7-9" but the synoptic is similar...that was a rain to snow event. IIRC, that was the epic commute from hell for many in the Delaware Valley. Some still talk about 4 hour drives home.

That event caught a lot of people off guard, as the forecasts the morning of Feb 5, 2001 called for rain most of the day...changing to snow before ending late afternoon or early evening. Accumulations were supposed to be 2" or less across the Philly area (maybe a bit more in the Lehigh Valley). Rain changed to snow WAY earlier than expected and most of the Philly burbs got 8 to 18 inches of snow. A friend of mine who works in Horsham and lives in Quakertown had a 7 hour evening commute. My wife's usual 25 minutes commute took over 3 hours that evening. Crazy stuff.

That event caught a lot of people off guard, as the forecasts the morning of Feb 5, 2001 called for rain most of the day...changing to snow before ending late afternoon or early evening. Accumulations were supposed to be 2" or less across the Philly area (maybe a bit more in the Lehigh Valley). Rain changed to snow WAY earlier than expected and most of the Philly burbs got 8 to 18 inches of snow. A friend of mine who works in Horsham and lives in Quakertown had a 7 hour evening commute. My wife's usual 25 minutes commute took over 3 hours that evening. Crazy stuff.

I'll never forget that day. It took me 5 or 6 hours to get 9 miles from my work (near the King of Prussia Mall) to my home at the time in Newtown Square..

I wasn't in town for that one but couldn't believe what I heard from that storm. That was kinda like our 1/25/00 on steroids...

Archived