• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Houston Area (+ AUS, SAT and MMMY) Snow Miracle Thread

Ed Lizard

Isn't it just as likely that ed mahmoud jinxed it by talking all week about the storm and having the gall to start a thread about a "snow miracle" before it happened?

If I had the power to change the weather, even inadvertantly, wouldn't that make me some kind of deity? Everyone knows a weather forum radio show is the only force strong enough to change the weather.

Not starting a Wednesday miracle ice storm thread, because, well, ice happens. No playing with the childrens in the snow, but the icicles are cool and I had an adequate excuse with highway closures to sleep in.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From NWS Brownsville..

Watch for Falling Ice! AsTemperatures begin to warm above freezing in the Lower RGV, ice wasstarting to melt. "Ice Daggers" falling from trees, power lines,traffic light extensions, etc. will be common until at least 2 PM. Residents and drivers should remain alert to this condition; injuriesmay occur if sharp edges fall on you. Refrain from clearing any iceand let the sun do the work for you. All ice should be melted fromtrees and power lines by 3 PM at the very latest.

Seriously? Ice daggers?? Exaggered threat or legitimate issue?

From NWS Brownsville..

Watch for Falling Ice! AsTemperatures begin to warm above freezing in the Lower RGV, ice wasstarting to melt. "Ice Daggers" falling from trees, power lines,traffic light extensions, etc. will be common until at least 2 PM. Residents and drivers should remain alert to this condition; injuriesmay occur if sharp edges fall on you. Refrain from clearing any iceand let the sun do the work for you. All ice should be melted fromtrees and power lines by 3 PM at the very latest.

Legitimate issue. We had a storm ar Fort Huachuca while I was working there that left ice all over everything including the radar and communications towers. When the Sun came out and things warmed up we had large chunks of ice falling to the ground which could have hurt anyone they hit. About the difficulty of the models to handle ULLs coming out of Mexico-might have to do with the frequent inavailability of U/A data from there.

Steve

From NWS Brownsville..

very legit. we can't use our deck and such during warmer days in the winter because of the huge icicles that fall off the side of our roof and shatter on ground.

went out sledding with cardboard boxes on top of the parking garage where maybe half an inch accumulated. lots of fun.

From NWS Brownsville..

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-115309854.html

5 taken to hospital, one in critical condition, from falling ice at the Super Bowl stadium.

I know this thread is about Houston area, but this run completely whiffs on what happened in DFW this morning

The HRRR is the lifeboat when every reliable model says very little precip, and probably not snow. I was hoping the blind squirrel got a seeing eye dog, didn't happen.

CLIMATE...

THE FIRST 4 DAYS OF FEBRUARY HAVE BEEN BRUTALLY COLD. THE AVERAGE

TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN ABOUT 20 DEGREES COLDER THAN NORMAL. THE LAST

TIME HOUSTON RECEIVED 5 CONSECUTIVE DAYS WITH MIN TEMPS EQUAL TO

OR BELOW 28 DEGREES WAS FEB 1989. THIS IS THE 4TH COLDEST START TO

FEB FOR THE CITY OF HOUSTON. ONLY FEB 1-4 IN 1985...1951 AND 1996

WERE COLDER.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was BB, I'd be talking about how I hope my lawn doesn't flood in the snow somehow

Wow! Hey, I really appreciate the kind words there, Tyler.

Hmmm! Uncalled for, and inappropriate somehow just does not quit apply. Gotta love Google when folks are badmouthing you. Try it sometime. You never know what you might find. Enlightening, to say the least. I love the "byte me" comments, Ed. Tacky as well?

Oh well! They always say, what goes around, comes around.

Have a lovely day, folks.

Archived