Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1st & 2nd Snow/Ice/Rain Maps

jdt

for the 3-6" range, generally expect totals to be on the low end, but we'll see

Wednesday is still tricky. I was telling some others that 84 is probably a good cutoff. mostly snow/ice north of there. as you go south, ice storm possible, but there might be a change to plain rain. along and southeast of 95, mix goes to rain

post-533-0-56818200-1296447978.jpg

post-533-0-45212700-1296447992.jpg

What the heck its been a while. Solid green line represents where rain line will ultimatley make it, snow in the ice areas will generally run 1-3" from south to North in these zones. The more sleet zone is an extension of the severe icing zone but the warm layer here could be thinner allowing for more sleet and frz rn

post-2206-0-92392900-1296451390.jpg

First call -- final tomorrow.

post-272-0-45525900-1296453375.png

Zone A: Mostly or all snow 6-12"+...areas closest to zone B will see some mixing

Zone B: 3-6" snow changing to sleet/ZR -- 0.25-0.50 ice

Zone B!: Biggest threat of severe ice -- 0.50+ ice

Zone C: 2-5" snow to sleet/ZR to plain rain -- 0.10-0.20 ice

Zone D: 1-3" snow to sleet/ZR to plain rain -- 0.01-0.10 ice

Zone E: <1" snow to maybe some sleet/ZR, but mostly rain -- T ice

Thunder, can you post the blank map you use? I like the darker county/state borders from the one I use.

Believe it or not, I actually made that map, using the freehand draw tool in Microsoft Publisher, so that I can highlite any county without using MS Paint. Anyway, here's the blank map, pasted into Paint.

post-272-0-78134600-1296519179.png

post-272-0-34570100-1296519391.png

Ice/rain zones...

Zone A: T-0.10 ice as event remains mostly or all snow

Zone B: 0.10-0.25 ice, sleet will be more prevalent

Zone C: 0.25-0.50 ice

Zone C!: Best chance of severe (0.50+) ice

--RAIN LINE IS THE BORDER OF ZONES C AND D. ANYONE NORTH OF ZONE D WILL NOT SEE PLAIN RAIN--

Zone D: 0.10-0.25 ice, turning to plain rain

Zone E: T-0.10 ice, turning to plain rain...most areas probably won't see 0.05 ice

Why not...

North of the red area, I would expect all precip to be frozen. Even the northern half of the red area likely doesn't see any plain rain. The purple area could see up to 0.25" of zr to go along with the snow and sleet. Fun stuff! :arrowhead:

2011 February 1-2.jpg

If i were to make a map it would look like this...

Pro Forecaster, can you explain "Storm Mode"? Do you mean that there is a storm occurring now? I'm still not sure why I can't comment here. I have the distinct feeling that I'm not being made to feel welcome. I am really interested in weather and I think I really have a knack for predicting it. I have been doing so since I was a kid. I spend a lot of time watching the Weather Channel and learning from their mistakes so that I can hone my skills as meterologist. Also, what is the differentiating factor between posting replies related to maps here and posting in the "banter" thread?

Pro Forecaster, can you explain "Storm Mode"? Do you mean that there is a storm occurring now? I'm still not sure why I can't comment here. I have the distinct feeling that I'm not being made to feel welcome. I am really interested in weather and I think I really have a knack for predicting it. I have been doing so since I was a kid. I spend a lot of time watching the Weather Channel and learning from their mistakes so that I can hone my skills as meterologist. Also, what is the differentiating factor between posting replies related to maps here and posting in the "banter" thread?

This post made me laugh harder than the map.

Archived