Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'flooding potential'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Blogs

  • The Company Blog
  • Tropospheric Torrent
  • wxbrad's Blog
  • thunderman's Blog
  • Quincy's Blog
  • Ellinwood's Weather Blog
  • Once a legend always a legend
  • Weathertalkblog
  • everyhinks
  • Windy Fashion
  • Save up to 50%
  • Snowfall Updates and Forecasts 2019-2020 and beyond!
  • Dry vs. Wet Halloween Weather
  • Next Winter Storm in the North Plains and Great Lakes
  • More Snow in the Northern United States
  • Winter Precipitation in the Southern Rockies vs Dry conditions in the Eastern States
  • Heavy showers in the southern to central plains moving towards the northeast on Tuesday with mild weather conditions in the northeast early this week
  • Southern New England Winter 2020-2021 Blog

Forums

  • Board Headquarters
  • Tropical Weather Discussion
    • Tropical Headquarters
  • General Forecasting and Discussion
    • Weather Forecasting and Discussion
    • Climate Change
    • Outdoor and Weather Photography
    • Weather Marketplace
    • Meteorology 101
    • Blogs
  • Regional Weather Discussion
    • New England
    • Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
    • New York City Metro
    • Philadelphia Region
    • Mid Atlantic
    • Southeastern States
    • Tennessee Valley
    • Lakes/Ohio Valley
    • Central/Western States

Categories

  • General Analyses & Forecasts
    • Seasonal Forecasts
    • Winter Analysis
    • Tropical Analysis
    • Severe Weather
  • Miscellaneous

Categories

  • New Features
  • Other

Product Groups

  • Upgrade Packages
    • Individual Packages

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


Website URL


Yahoo


Skype


Four Letter Airport Code For Weather Obs (Such as KDCA)


Location:


Interests


Home Location

Found 1 result

  1. Topic Edit 508AM: Added HIGH IMPACT and the time back in to the topic and extended 4 hours. Strongest winds in NJ/ne PA/se NYS roughly 10PM-4A, NYC/se NYS 1A-6A, LI/CT 2A-to possibly as late as 9A/25 e tip of LI. Minimum wind gust on LI 55 MPH with max 75MPH, NYC-se NYS minimum wind 50 MPH isolated max 70 MPH. Please follow NWS on all warnings/statements. I'll leave it yourselves to add graphics etc as need be. I'll begin an OBS-NOWCAST thread by 6A. Have not looked at soundings but everything else discussed in yesterdays 518AM topic edit below including HSLC SVR's continues. We may reach within 2F of the record 66F-2015 max temp for Christmas Day at CP. Flooding of some of the larger rivers, if it is to occur, may be delayed 24 hours or more after after the rain quits Christmas morning, Max rainfall axis in our forum looks to me to be CT, isolated 4", not including snowmelt runoff. If anything is missed, please let me know. Thank you. Topic Edit 518AM Wednesday 12/23: No significant changes. The prime threat period might by 2 hours too fast but not enough evidence to change the primary initialization period of weather related issues. My assessment tells me to prepare, without science, for many many thousands without power starting 9PM to midnight Christmas Eve evening, and then across se NYS, LI, CT, MA beginning midnight to 6AM Christmas morning. Gusts NYC airports should be 45-55kt, with potential for isolated 65KT LI/CT/MA. I expect SVR's for the HSLC lines of heavy showers to help focus the primary short-fuse threats. Lower chance of any damage northeast PA but ridges there will be most vulnerable there to ~ 55 MPH gusts. There is limited science on power outage wind damage with leaved trees, without, softer unfrozen ground versus frozen but I don't have this information nor any private services predictive algorithms. I still think that wind damage will prevail as the most important aspect of this storm, but please follow NWS flood watches, warnings as issued, due to the combined snowmelt and new widespread NYC subforum rainfall of 1-2", with isolated 4" potential inland-most of this in a 9 hour period during Thursday night, Any snow on the backside is exceedingly minor on the I84 high terrain. There actually might be a little better chance for a slight coating of snow Christmas night with the weakening trough aloft passage. --- Topic edit at 526AM Tuesday the 22nd: Changed the title to WILL be accompanied by damaging wind LI, and restricted the period of accumulative snow to the interior. I think the wind damage potential is the largest threat from this rapidly deepening 980s surface low moving northward up the front into NYS predawn Christmas. SVR's possible (in my mind likely, even if no lightning) for High Shear Low Cape (HSLC) heavy showers.The Richardson (R)#/wind profile combo on the NAM and even GFS tells me 45kt+ gusts all the major airports in NYC sometime between 10P/24 and 5A/25 . This is further supported by multiple models 80KT+ 850MB winds over LI, in some cases around 90-95kt. From my looking at R# and wind grab, this has the most favorable potential in my past 3 months of examining to realize downward transfer 50-65KT from the lowest 25 to 50 MB of the boundary layer. Whether an isothermal sounding in the lowest part of the boundary layer, or even a slightly inverted sounding can diminish-mute the potential, I don't know. What I do think, is that a lot of folks could wake up with lights out Christmas morning across LI, and possibly NJ/CT. Flooding potential to me looks the same as it did yesterday-previous days, all a matter of qpf, snowmelt combo to prompt a few rivers into minor or eventually moderate flood stage, even as temps plummet from 60ish near midnight Christmas morning, to near freezing by ~ Noon Friday. Please follow NWS closely on flood potential-they have more tools than I. Snowfall, accumulation less than 1 inch probably restricted in our forum counties only I84 high terrain northwestward. I'll copy this to the last page of this topic and add a couple of wind profiles there. The future posts will look at FOUS BL winds, which I think will exceed 34kt at LGA and BOS around 06z and 12z/25 respectively. IF not, then I'm a little too severe on my wind expectations. Also, I'll be adding shorter term wind gust potential graphics, especially Wednesday onward. (corrected many typos 826A) --- Below from the origination date of Friday evening the 18th. This topic is started primarily because of the recent operational model cycles at one time or another offering a more than ordinary 12-18 hour period of weather here near Christmas, on top of melting snow. Always uncertainty. Uncertainties abound, including how far inland can a couple of hours of 60 degree temperatures penetrate to melt the snowpack, and will there be any hazardous snow accumulation closer than the hilly western and northern suburbs? Add to that, is there an inversion thats prevent excessive low level winds from reaching the ground.? Snowpack will be melting a bit the next few days,, til a sudden brief surge of 60 degree warmth Thursday evening or very early Friday morning, associated with a strong cold front. That front is embedded within a high amplitude trough. It's slowed by a strong 1030-35MB high anchored near the Maritimes, and there is potential for northward moving low pressure along the front, as it traverses across the NYC forum. Max rainfall should be concentrated just inland (se or sse surface wind) and combined with remaining snow, may? be enough to promote some small stream flooding? Flooding will be dependent on how much snow melts on the 24th/early 25th combining with around 1" to possibly 2" of rain, prior to the sharp cool down to near freezing by midday the 25th. Current 12/18 river response models to multiple ensembles are not alarmed at this point so I don't want to make this look worse than it will be. Of greater concern is the ECMWF cyclic offering of 60+ MPH gusts to LI (50 inland) which may cause some damage. Recent experience with the storm of the 16th-17th suggests to me, that we will need at least 60 MPH gusts to see significant damage along the coasts and ridges. It's possible - IF the 850MB southerly jet can exceed 75 knots, preferably 85 knots. The 18z/18 GFS has 80 knots for e LI and the 12z/18 EC has near 100 knots for all of LI. IF the ECMWF were to verify, it would be lights out for many and not a pleasant Christmas morning. Timing of the event probably sometime at night (6P/24-6A/25 EST) Snow: Backside snow doesn't often accumulate significantly with temperatures falling rapidly from the 60s to near freezing. Thinking best chance I84 corridor high terrain sometime Friday morning the 25th. Graphics: 1) 12z/18 EC 850 wind. EC surface gusts, GEFS chance of 60 MPH wind gusts early Christmas and finally, the WPC qpf forecast from ~18z/18. 608P/18