-
Posts
787 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by katabatic
-
Last night it was freezing! Quite literally. 32 on the nose.
-
Another chilly morning 36.
-
Frosty! 34.2 - decoupled nicely. .
-
Breezy, temp remained in the upper 40s most of the day and fog/drizzle from sunup to sundown. Mother Nature took note of yesterday's calendar, jeez. 6.21" of rain this month so things in the ground are at least happy.
-
1.79" since Sunday and 5.85" for the month. I'm hoping our well timed rain this summer means a good leaf season this fall. It'll really begin to show in a week or so.
-
46 glorious degrees this morning. This is more like it - and congrats @mappy for doing even a bit better
-
1.33" total (0.21" since midnight) for a healthy sum of 3.92" so far for the month.
-
1.07" so far. I must say the rain this summer has been well timed and well spaced out (at least imby). Good soaker this afternoon/evening after a truly tropical airmass earlier.
-
I'll take it and am also drooling over the map @40/70 Benchmark published a few days ago. Both of my guest rooms are put together so plan on coming out for the paste bomb
-
Beautiful morning. Just eeked out a low in the 40s (49.8). After a 3 day dousing of over 2 inches, things are fresh and green. Beautiful day today. I hope everyone enjoys it
-
If that even comes close to verifying, uhhhhh f**k yeah!
-
2026 Mid-Atlantic Severe Storm General Discussion
katabatic replied to Kmlwx's topic in Mid Atlantic
DPs yesterday exceeded 75 here in Garrett County which is very high for us. 2 rounds of storms, neither of which amounted to much other than 1.30" of welcome precip. Looking forward to true Chamber of Commerce weather Sunday/Monday and the subsequent calm that will once again descend on the Deep Creek Lake area post Labor Day.- 2,562 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
- severe
- thunderstorms
-
(and 7 more)
Tagged with:
-
We are totally into this. My last chase with @dailylurker the forecast for New York changed and I barged in his room at 3 AM telling him LET'S GO! The band forecast shifted 15 miles! Thank god you have the patience of a saint. @MillvilleWx you are so very welcome. Not only are you a kick ass guy, but you're also pretty damn good at explaining the nuances of weather to me. @dailylurker that squall was unbelievable. I posted a short video to the Garrett County Facebook page (one of them) and within a few weeks, I had over 4,000 views. I'm planning on this winter to be an overall torch but since we travel so well together, it ain't gunna matter much. We will hunt down the best snows and pile in the truck and say LFG! @NorthArlington101 you're welcome any time as well! It was awesome when you visited Garrett County that the two walks we took, it was snowing quite heavily on both. @WxWatcher007 you too! I'd love to meet up and with any luck, be buried up to our waist in LES. I am hoping we have more folks from our area chasing instead of armchair complaining that it's 40 and rainy and missed yet another storm chance.
-
Pretty impressive monthly totals. 3.27" here in Garrett County so a lot lower than most folks but we've done pretty well overall this season. Looks like our hottest day occurred in May of all things - 89.2 looks to be the best summer had to offer this year imby.
-
This is interesting. Meteorology is essentially the study of heat transfer. Winds increase in the winter, in large part, because the temperature difference increases between the mid and upper latitudes. We all know that. So, if we have 3.4 averaging 80 and NPac 52 (just for the sake of argument), what would the heat transfer difference cause the jet stream to do if the NPac was 45? In some ways that 7 degrees equals more stored heat than we could ever imagine, decreasing winds. But in the grand scheme of things, is it a proverbial drop in the bucket? Winters suck here because we're almost always close enough to be in the game yet we rarely score a goal. That's numbingly frustrating to us weather fans (in no small part why @dailylurker and I rented a damn house at the apex of the Tug). But I digress...you said (and I am an admirer of you) that you don't think the STJ would be materially impacted due to the increased temperature of the 'blob'. So, I'd love to figure out a way to calculate at what delta would the reduction in the temperature contrast between ocean latitudes cause the STJ to peter out, nullifying the best part of El Nino......and are we close?
-
You've pointed out something that I've had a question about for a long time. We all know that the NPac is way warmer than normal. But, does that matter (wrt our weather around here)? If the average ocean temp is say, 45, and we're now seeing 50-52, is that enough of a jolt to alter the Nino climactic expectations? I know there are other variables out there, but focusing specifically on ocean warmth, is the 'blob' warm enough (NOT just comparing to average, but total warmth) to cause what we expect (warm northern tier, cooler southern tier, dry Ohio Valley, juiced STJ etc.) to be materially altered? This may be too simplistic but if I go from 17 degrees to 24, that doesn't alter much. If I go from 28 degrees to 35, we have a whole different world.
-
Had a narrow but intense line move through here earlier. Dropped 0.96" in about 45 minutes. High was only 78 but still felt like Florida. I've had 8 of my in-laws from Ecuador visiting for the last 2 weeks and they're like "does it always rain this much" and I'm like nope...you guys just got lucky.
-
I am very intrigued about this winter. There is so much oceanic heat wrt normal (what the hell does that mean anymore) that anything is possible. I've seen more than one long range forecast that depicts areas N of 40 deg being at or even a little below normal due to the wobbly 'polar vortex'. I think that's a long shot but by using the Tug as a base of operations, all else being equal, it's certainly positions us better than most. I did a chase up in Canada two years ago and it was a lot of fun and there are some serious bay effect areas SE of James/Hudson Bay. Ironically, Canada's plowing suuuuucks, so I have what amounts to seat belts for my tires. It's designed to be a bit more pleasant to drive on than traditional chains while still providing traction. I also purchased a Bluetti that will essentially turn my truck cabin into a living room for up to 3 days so @dailylurker and I can be completely mobile. If it's 38 and rain in New York, welp, filler up and head north.
-
@dailylurker and I rented a cabin close to the apex of the Tug Hill from December - February. Elevation will be critical, even in upstate NY so hedging our bets for the winter - my hope is we will be buried from start to finish.
-
I hear ya. I'm in Myrtle Beach and our weather looks shitty tomorrow thru Wednesday. Hoping it's wrong or at least it's not an all day rainer.
-
Yesterday held in the 60s for all 24 hours. That had to be close to a record low max for a day without precipitation, even out here. Hope you have a fun weekend!
-
A beautiful evening to see a free Fleetwood Mac knockoff band at Wisp. 70 with a breeze - heading to the upper 40s tonight. Yes please and thank you.
-
Fortunately, a flush hit this morning. 1.46" which way more than doubled what's been delivered so far this month. Let's see how well we recover today.
-
Like the fact we had 0.15" with our FFW? Beautiful day, sunshine after lunch and temps in the low 70s. Near perfect day for mid summer.
-
After days of relentless rain, 0.17" total.
