Jump to content

ChasingFlakes

Members
  • Posts

    549
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ChasingFlakes

  1. "Maybe it’s time to tune up that old snowblower that’s been sitting in your garage" - First line of this NJ.com article. Plus if we bust, its likely to be sleet and heavy snow so you'll probably still want the blower.
  2. Terrible time to have messed up my back! I don't even know what I did, but definitely gonna need to borrow a blower from the neighbor if those clown maps verify. I remember trying to shovel the 28 inches from the 2016 storm and immediately giving up. I've been waiting for a deep enough storm to snowboard the steep valley betwern Mt. Misery and Mt. Joy in Valley Forge again and it looks like I might be out of commission for it! Last time it was possible without hitting rocks was March 2017 with like 8 inches of sleet. Monday's base building event would make it even better. Not sure why the links aren't embedding. https://imgur.com/a/De9sgVJ https://imgur.com/a/hbsIXm4
  3. Seems to be back building behind the blue mountain ridge by Harrisburg/Carlisle. Places where the ridge is more parallel to the westerly flow, like Allentown seem to be out of the snow but places that took longer due to the seeming blocking by the perpendicular ridge this am are holding onto it longer. Something something froude number over 1?
  4. Snowing here, finally. Light snow going sideways with the steady breeze
  5. I agree! Not about the Calc part though.. I'm writing all my final papers this week and then I'm finally done after 7 years of off and on school. My sister in Ashburn, VA said its just verga there despite being under radar snow since 8:30. Looks to be struggling to make it into chesco, hoping for a good flurry. Wunderground wants rain.
  6. Nice sunrise. Definitely dark to my north, radar signature to my west dissipated on cue over French Creek. This second band by Harrisburg looks promising for some region-wide flakes if it can make it over the blue mountain ridge unblocked.
  7. Anyone have any insight into activating a college epic pass? I purchased it in Oct, but did not realize you need to be enrolled for both fall and spring semesters in order to recieve the college discount. I graduate this December and have yet to visit an epic pass mountain. I should have read the fine print more finely, I tried looking but must have missed this point. Am I SOL and have to cough up another 200 at the tix window or can I still get a cash refund (not credit)? I assume they want you signed into the school portal and not just show a screenshot of your schedule. I am good at photoshop. Just unsure of the process as this is my first time purchasing a pass and I dislike all the hoops I need to jump through so far. I feel trapped in vail hell but would like to be able to go to Stowe this year. Thanks in advance.
  8. Since there's no snow in the immediate forecast, I'm back to looking at the damn surfcams. Jenk's death slab resembling Backdoor/Pipeline this morning. Also I think this is required viewing for anyone interested in weather and the ocean in the mid-atlantic region. Towing Hurricane Sandy in OCMD with Will Skudin, who recently opened the Skudin Surf wave pool in the American Dream mall. The last wave in particular has to be the biggest wave surfed in the region. Can I weenie tag my own post?
  9. Great way to start the winter OBS thread with severe discussion.
  10. From that yearly snowfall graph, it seems like a season following a season with snowfall below 12 inches averages over 24 inches. I didn't do any math, since there isn't that many data points under 12 inches anyways, but there is the 40 inch and 60 inch outlier in 92-93 and 02-03. 32-33, 37-38, 42-43, 50-51, 59-60, 71-72, 73-74 and 98-99 all average about 2 feet following a year below a foot of snowfall. There doesn't seem to be any seasons where we received under a foot two years in a row and if anything it appears we either have a slightly below average season or a highly above average season following a season with under a foot of snow.
  11. Seems like the greens always get good right-side up snowfalls due to this. The synoptic event brings the denser low-ratio snow, or rain, with warmer temps and then the storm will transition to the low-density stuff as the upslope kicks in. I've noticed with a base, a 6 inch snowfall can ski a lot deeper just due to the gentle shift between dense and fluffy snow. Even on events that begin with rain, this seems to occur more often than not. Otherwise you get a rain crust, which sucks, but likely helps hold the pack for longer.
  12. Thanks, I looked into it in September and everything seemed pricey or geared towards UVM students. I'd have to keep looking, I have a potential job opportunity in Saratoga Springs, which at least would get me most of the way to NNE. Only tied down by my gf, whose only reason to stay in PA is her terminally ill mother. Thanks, having stayed at a Jay ski in ski out condo as a child, I assume they are expensive since they are so nice. I normally stay at Grampa grunts in Montgomery for 45/night when I go to Jay, obviously not a long-term solution. I'll look into the condos though. Sidenote, Mike Hayes Global head of global marketing at Ben and Jerry's has my dream job, he skis Mansfield all the time. PF might know him, anyways I wish I could work for him.
  13. I've been considering moving up here. I wish I could get a 3-6 month lease or something starting in January. If anyone has any insight into renting or finding a place to stay, that'd be great. I'm graduating in December from the Media Studies and Production program at Temple, a job in Burlington would be sweet. Trying to gtfo of PA.
  14. I remember being at Smuggs around Christmas 2011 and there being no snow aside from man made. Not sure when resorts opened that year, but I assume that was the most recent season to startup late.
  15. How do they prove if you did a 14 day quarantine, either in your home state or in VT? Its not like they're going to know if you went to a grocery store in that time.. From a non-local perspective I'm sure many of us spend hundreds to thousands in Vermont's economy each winter due to skiing, it stinks for everyone involved to miss out on that. I pay for lodging, food, gas, beer and of course a lift ticket each time I visit in the winter. Across all of the visitors each winter, that adds up to a big loss. Granted an infected population doesn't help the economy much either, skiing is such an isolated sport already that I think they can find a better way to make it work in everyone's favor. Edit: “We have no metrics on who’s following our quarantine guidance" - Tracy Dolan, deputy commissioner of VTs Department of Health.
  16. Great pic PF. Stoked I finally pulled the trigger on a pass that includes Stowe. Never have owned a pass and have always gone where the most snow/best terrain will be. Not sure having a pass will change that, but I am excited to save some money on the "down" days.
  17. Great pictures! I live on Chester county and my area definitely hit the jackpot on that storm. Further south and west along the MD border I'm pretty sure there were totals closing in on 40".
  18. I wish I was more in tune with the weather back then. Definitely one of my favorite at-home storm memories. Last January 8-11th, 2019 at Smuggler Notch is definitely the best event I've experienced with 38 inches. That was a huge positive bust with really localized upslope bands. Stowe, 4 miles south reported 'just' 27 inches. What an amazing experience and all-time east coast snowboarding. Also had two 2ft+ storms at Jay last march that were incredible and a few other foot+ pow days in southern vt that were fun but rocky... I got really lucky, especially since I was working full time in PA picking and choosing 7 days in advance on storms. This year has been much slower for me.
  19. I got 28 inches in SEPA from this storm. First time ever seeing thunder and lightning during a snowstorm.
×
×
  • Create New...