-
Posts
2,312 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Posts posted by tunafish
-
-
22 hours ago, tunafish said:
0.83 + 2.45 = 3.28" event total
+0.93" = 4.21" event total
Looking at my five years of CoCoRAHS data, 3 of my top 10 rainfall obs are from this year - all around 2.50" for the 7am-7am period.
All that despite being still well BN on the year.
-
3
-
-
9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
0.58" Pretty infuriating given models had 2-3", but where then revised to 1-2", so likely won't even hit 1". not going to do much.
Ouch. Looks like you were just a little too far north and east.
0.83 + 2.45 = 3.28" event total
-
2
-
-
-
-
-
-
12 minutes ago, BrianW said:
Around 81-82. Yeah it's been a really crazy summer on the sound with all kinds of tropical fish being caught and pods of dolphins.
Even some hammer heads are coming up..
Hammerhead shark spotted off coast of Niantic
Experts said shark sightings in the sound are not rare, but hammerheads are a different story.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/middlesex/hammerhead-shark-spotted-off-coast-of-niantic/amp/
Hammerhead is absolutely wild!
-
1
-
-
12 minutes ago, BrianW said:
Yeah. Some really warm water still in the sound.
We saw 2 pods of bottle nose dolphins this morning
Bottlenose dolphins are increasingly spotted in the Long Island Sound as they follow schools of fish into the warming waters.
Recent Sightings and Encounters:
Branford and Stony Creek: On September 4, 2026, a pod of more than 20 bottlenose dolphins surrounded a boat piloted by a wildlife refuge worker traveling from Falkner Island toward Stony Creek.
Norwalk and Western Sound: Multiple pods have been documented by local boaters and fishermen off the coast of Norwalk and neighboring towns.
General Distribution: Sightings occur with regularity near Milford, Bridgeport, Stamford, Greenwich, and the Connecticut River
Wild stuff. What'd the water temp peak at this season?
-
-
4 hours ago, dendrite said:
0.74” overnight. We take.
Muggy this morning. Min of 65°
Not 100% from the migraines so still limiting screen time. I’ll try to tackle PM responses when I can.
0.66" here*
*Asked the wife to check/empty the gauge for me when she went out for the chicks. When I later asked her for the total she went blank. And 0.66" was the best she could guess.
Unfortunately it's double any nearby station.
I've seen that happen, legitimately, but looking at the radar overnight, it doesn't really support that.
-
1
-
-
17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
Gutner says more to come, but not holding my breath
Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
Ha if I get more than 0.01" today I'll eat my hat.
-
40 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
0.17". As expected
Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
0.09" what the actual fuck.
-
1
-
-
23 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
Local mets touting 0.5-1.0". Lost track of how many times this has happened in last 2 months. I'll predict 0.2" or less for our hood.
Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
-
-
1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:
Perfect weather day. 74/51F. Great vis.
Drought situation. Assuming we don't get a shower tomorrow night the grand August total is 1.66". For July it was 1.64". Amazingly dry. Thankfully we did get .80" on August 23rd. In my general area I know Brian has been extremely dry too. He got a nice thunderstorm a little while back that I missed. Brian, what is your total for July and August?
3.77" here in PWM for Jul/Aug total.
Unfortunately, that includes the 1" I recorded in only 10 minutes on the 13th (1.19" event total).
-
1
-
1
-
-
2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:
Lot of energy Mets using last 10-20 years as baseline. 30 yr almost irrelevant. We accelerate warmth.
Not all Mets https://x.com/TheTKWeatherXp/status/2090612723746828461
-
1
-
1
-
-
3 hours ago, dendrite said:
-2 to 4 last winter was epic cold, but +2 to 4 in summer is nbd. I’ll agree…there hasn’t been any big heat, but it goes to show you where our baseline is right now.
But but but https://x.com/TheTKWeatherXp/status/2090612723746828461
-
1
-
-
32 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:
Big boy wind.
You can see what a mess wind like this going through a forest would make when trying to figure out if it is tornadic or not.
On the velocity front, keep in mind that it is radial velocity, so some component of that wind was not being sampled since it was not directly parallel to the radial. I would say 60 mph would be the lower bound of the estimated wind.
Interesting, thank you. Definitely had that extra bite. I'm also happy the hail spared the gardens and plants for the most part.
-
Not sure I'll experience a thunderstorm better than today's storm - at least not IMBY.
I've never seen wind like that, not from a t-storm. Plus 0.96" in 13 minutes. Legit white out at times.
Lots of massive oaks and pines down around town, and fortunately most were not on cars or homes. Half were uprooted and half were just snapped off at the base. Not sure how accurate RadarScope is with estimated velocity, but 60-65 mph smells in the ballpark. Power out about 6 hrs.
Some phil from local news.
-
8
-
1
-
-
Heavy phil on the trees here in South Portland. 70mph gust at PWM.
-
3
-
-
-
10 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
all the good ones go south of us and over the lake
Those that miss to your south inevitably find a way to whiff me too.
-
-
17 minutes ago, dendrite said:
Surprised you thought construction...
"Nearby thunder? Can't be. It's more likely the sound of Stein crushing my hopes and dreams. Back to bed."
Hoping it makes it to the coast. I'd take .25" at this point, as I've got 1.43" MTD but that was all back on 8/3.


October Comes Early: Late September Multi-Hazard Hybrid Storm
in New England
Posted
I heard your wx station is one of those non-scientific ones. Sorry bud, we toss.