Jump to content

Jed33

Members
  • Posts

    1,148
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jed33

  1. There is some pixie dust here so far this AM, but it’s so light it’s just blowing right off. Edit: Flake size is actually a little better now and I can begin to see a very light dusting on cars
  2. Yeah this system is way bigger than what most, if not all models had indicated
  3. Well I think the answer to the thread title turns out to be right! It will. That is a wall of snow entering the state of Mississippi down almost the entire western side of the state.
  4. JAN has a very detailed afd this AM about the system. Mentions that this is a non traditional setup for snow with the Sfc low in the gulf and the upper and mid level lows displaced to the north. This is “throwing off” as they say, many of the normal winter storm conceptual models. The afd goes on to talk about a lot of the other unusual things related to this system. Worth a read, even if it doesn’t impact your area, as there is a lot of interesting wording there.
  5. Don’t look now, but the RGEM at 0z is trying to stretch the snow NE even into E TN now. Light event, but at 18z it didn’t have that. Used to be, when you’d see these depictions like this, you’d know that it would move into NE MS northeastward through N AL and into E TN. So, I’ve kept this in the back of my mind so far and wondered about it. Now, it may have been a fluke run, as nothing else really shows that much frozen. However, I think the euro and NAM, to a degree have been toying with that idea. So, for what it’s worth, here’s the 0z RGEM.
  6. That band up around Kingsport looks like it has unloaded pretty good. @Carvers Gapyou get anything from it?
  7. Snowfall has varied wildly around here. I had between 1/2-1in earlier, but it’s melted down a little now. Meanwhile, there are places on the SE side of the county that have bare grass!
  8. Approaching 1/2in on the grass now. It whitened up in a hurry for sure!
  9. I just woke up, bc you know I couldn’t sleep haha! Anyway, we have nice big fatties coming down. Temp is 32. Now a nice dusting forming on the grass cars, etc.
  10. Got some sleet mixing in with the rain. Maybe a flake or two.
  11. My old stomping grounds literally! That is right where our family farm is. Too bad the highest hills in that area are just barely over 500 ft. Edit: Talking about the radar image from NE MS. Not the plateau.
  12. Yeah it’s really bad, but the regular gfs finally started to come around a little at least for NE TN down to just NE of Knoxville at 12z
  13. It’s always good to have a NE flow when your looking for snow! At least it seems to be.
  14. Knowing the GFS, it probably won’t find it tonight. For the Christmas storm, it literally took it till the day before, before it began to understand what was going to happen. Really it was 12z the day of the event before it fully caught on. That model struggles so bad these days!
  15. RGEM also coming back some from 18z. Looks better for NE TN. Also better for the plateau and some other areas of eastern Middle TN
  16. Looks like we have been at or below freezing since about 4:30 Thursday afternoon. Today should warm up into the 40’s, so it will end the streak of freezing or below freezing temps. I’ll have to look back, but I’m thinking it’s been since 2018-2019 since we had a stretch below freezing of that length or greater.
  17. Ran into a brief snow shower on the way into work this morning. Nice to see, albeit very short lived.
  18. It was also that way here in town earlier this evening and around 2 or so there was a brief sleet/graupel shower
  19. I saw those clouds earlier and thought they were cool. I’ve seen them before in the winter months. Ironically it seems that maybe they coincide with times that we’ve either had snow on the ground or it was about to be? There was still a pretty good bit of snow in the shade around here this morning, but now only the most dense shade and a few eves and roofs in the shade have any left.
  20. Man John I hate to hear that. Do you have any left worth trying to salvage? Aside from putting a couple guard dogs there to protect it, another trick my grandfather and I used to use on our melon patch was urine. Now before anyone laughs me off and thinks I'm crazy, it actually works. The human scent will repel animals. Just have to save enough containers like milk jugs and cool whip containers to scatter around the patch. Of course it requires a strong stomach to do this, but if you do this and keep it out there, you will be surprised at how it helps. You will have to replace it if it rains and or after about a week, but it was always worth it to do for our melon patches. We had several 5-10 acre sized fields that we raised watermelons and cantaloupes on when I was growing up. We always sold them to grocers and wholesale buyers. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Taught me a lot about hard work and the benefits of doing it. Something a lot of kids are missing these days. Brings back a lot of memories, but I digress though. Fwiw though that technique will work.
  21. Well, I mentioned I'd update y'all on this vine okra. It's been coming in ever so slowly but finally looks as though it's gonna come on and produce well. Here is an example of what it looks like. This particular pod is laying right on the ground actually in the grass. I have some more pods up off the ground and will try to get a pic of a bigger one tomorrow. The fruit tastes a lot like okra but is a little sweeter, a little crunchier, and definitely goes a lot further, as the pods grow over a foot long and are still tender at 10-12in long. I would definitely grow it again, just need a better trellis and setup than what I have.
  22. Looks good Stove! I put up 2 quarts of pickles yesterday also
  23. I can vouch for Neem oil, it works well on aphids and whiteflies, but I hate the smell of it. It's kind of sticky too, I guess that's the soap component in it. At any rate, it has saved my tomato plants on more than one occasion
×
×
  • Create New...