• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
200th anniversary of Mount Tambora eruption

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of the eruption of Mount Tambora, which significantly cooled the earth. It brings to mind how volcanoes can impact our weather and climate. Part of me wonders if the volcanic eruptions in Iceland in both 2010 and 2011 have had some sort of impact upon our weather over the past few years. Europe had a long, cold winter in 2011-2012 (while we were having our mild winter) while the past two winters have been exceptionally cold in eastern North America. I believe the eruption of Laki in Iceland in 1783 had an impact upon the weather, resulting in the winter of 1783-1784 being exceptionally cold.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21647958-two-hundred-years-ago-most-powerful-eruption-modern-history-made-itself-felt-around

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of the eruption of Mount Tambora, which significantly cooled the earth. It brings to mind how volcanoes can impact our weather and climate. Part of me wonders if the volcanic eruptions in Iceland in both 2010 and 2011 have had some sort of impact upon our weather over the past few years. Europe had a long, cold winter in 2011-2012 (while we were having our mild winter) while the past two winters have been exceptionally cold in eastern North America. I believe the eruption of Laki in Iceland in 1783 had an impact upon the weather, resulting in the winter of 1783-1784 being exceptionally cold.

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21647958-two-hundred-years-ago-most-powerful-eruption-modern-history-made-itself-felt-around

Wasn't Tambora followed, a few years later, by the "year without summer" in the Northeast U.S.? Usually the lag is about 1 1/2 years or more. For example, Pinatubo in 1991 probably chilled the 1992-3 and 1993-4 winters. Mt. St. Helens and one whose name escapes me probably cooled Super  El Niño winter 1982-3 enough to allow the Megalopolis Blizzard, and probably resulted in 1981-2 being gelid.

Archived