• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2013-14

The Weather Challenge (WxChallenge) begins in a few weeks on September 30th.

Who's in this year?
For those of you who are not familiar with the Challenge, it's a forecast contest spanning an entire school year (contestants can participate in only one semester if they choose) and students, faculty, staff and alumni can participate. Cities are selected from around the country, so it's challenging for just about any forecaster. Don't forget to forecast though, because penalty points can rack up very fast! 

Click here for more information:
http://wxchallenge.com/

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fall 2013

Houston, TX KHOU September 30 - October 10

Cheyenne, WY KCYS October 14 - October 24

Norman, OK*** NRMN October 28 - November 7 (OK Mesonet site)

Concord, NH KCON November 11 - November 21

Grand Rapids, MI KGRR December 2 - December 12      

Spring 2014   

Atlanta, GA KATL January 27 - February 6 (AMS-2013)

Fairbanks, AK PAFA February 10 - February 20

Baltimore, MD KBWI February 24 - March 6

Redding, CA KRDD March 10 - March 20

TBD* TBD March 24 - April 3

Springfield, MO ** KSGF April 7 - May 3

• 2 weeks later...

In charge of the Ohio State group and down as mike14 again!  Super pumped!  I'm going to really try to not miss days this year...Even if I have to forecast like 4 days out and lose some accuracy, those climo penalties really kill you!

Missing days really hurts your score very quickly, especially if you miss more than one or two days. What you said is the best suggestion, submit forecasts in advance if you have to and you can always go back and change them later.

I'll be participating as QUINCY / Category 0. (alumni) This time around I'm doing the entire school-year for the first time since I was in school back in 2008-09.

Just FYI before we start in regards to what you can post pre-0z. Post 0z you can do whatever you want with the forecast you just made. 

• Acceptable Forms of Collaboration
    • Discussions regarding meteorological conditions affecting the forecast, whether as part of a formal classroom setting or an informal briefing.
    • The use of suggested ranges in forecast variables (e.g., by a briefer), provided these suggested ranges are reasonably wide and accompanied by a meteorological justification that the forecaster critically agrees with.
    • Use of specially developed forecast tools developed "in-house", if such use is voluntary.
  • Unacceptable Forms of Collaboration
    • Having another person or a group of individuals enter forecasts.
    • The copying of specific forecast numbers provided by other team members.
    • Entering or editing of forecasts based on team consensus, individual team member forecast numbers, or forecast ranges suggested by other forecasters that are not reasonably wide announced prior to the 0000 UTC deadline. (NOTE: Although reasonably wide forecast ranges may be given if accompanied with a meteorological justification, specific forecast numbers should never be posted or announced prior to the 0000 UTC deadline in any circumstance.)

question: i was switching between 2 temps at around 00:00 UTC. I had one forecast in before then, but then when I tried to switch at 00:01 UTC, it said it was late. Will the old one still count and I will not be penalized, or does the new one count + penalized?

The breakpoint is 00:01:00z. Anything before is today's forecast, anything after is put towards tomorrows forecast. The late message is just telling you we're late for tonight forecast, but since you entered one prior to 00:01z then that forecast is accepted and no penalty will be applied for today's forecast.

Archived