joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range thread

HM

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that 12z euro long range was horrendous. I didn't see the 850s, but it would say snow isn't done for the far nw burbs yet assuming the 850s are cold enough

0z shoved that boundary north about 75 miles. We're still on the wrong side of it for Wed-Thu next week (40's/50's) but the subzero 850's are thankfully north of us.

That pesky NAO block we are dealing with currently is going to retrograde and get stuck. The changing Pacific into a more niña-like state is going to force a trough over western Canada. This means the block will have to head southward. Depending on how exactly this goes down will determine if we see that "weird" snow potential mid-April that I was worried about. This will come in between warm shots so I don't expect it to be anything long-lasting.

The time frame to watch, as you all might know per modeling, would be next weekend and early that following week (like 4/12-4/15ish).

If the block simply absorbs into a building eastern US ridge with nothing undercutting it, then we just get cool for a day or so with no real snowflake potential.

12z euro looks pretty warm into the east at hour 240..

If the dry conditions continue... could any dry condition create feedback for a hotter summer, especially late summer early fall?

Locally it would not hurt, but larger impact would still be based if the central conus remains in drought. I don't know if there is enough time left this spring to alleviate that, its still a pretty big area. 

I didn't look at the precip output... just the 500mb pattern and the 850 temps. Guess the dryness won't be a problem if it verifies. 

Just trying to spark some MR/LR disco here, seems like it goes dead for awhile around here..

This board's first and foremost fan has been the snow hound.  Therefore, its not at all surprising that things quiet down as we head into the warm season.  I know I look at the weather back east less this time of year, since I'm no longer on the lookout for potential archive events ;)

euro caved for a run and is showing warmth in Philly on Wednesday & Thursday.  Euro sniffs out 80+ on Thursday. Burp run or start of a trend?

It's also trying to sniff out some instabilty advection ahead of the front as well since the warmth is established on this run. A low CAPE high shear squall line still not out of the question.  

Been out for the count these past 3 weeks, good to be back!..so bring on the warmth.. Unfortunately i have no hope on the CT coast at this time of the year. What will it take to mix out these blocks, geeees.

I'm glad to see you are feeling better man.

The big question this morning is, "when does this warm period end?" Some of the guidance is insisting on changing the pattern quickly toward 4/20. While this is possible, I think the guidance is just picking up on a nasty cold front/transient trough...quite possibly noise. IOW, I'm not buying the quick change back. :)

I'm thinking the +PNA returns in the final 5 days of April, possibly even waiting for the start of May. Notice the nice strat-trop. connection with the developing -WPO anomaly and the clear retrograding system through mid-April. This is a classic response to the tropical forcing and was well predicted by all. Also note the "final warming"  beginning in the upper levels of the stratosphere 4/16-4/20 with the +AO period coming up being the weak "-20 day" signal to some extent. I think any real legit drop in the AO will wait until early-mid May when the strat breaks down and transitions into summer, mixing with the tropical forcing signal (this is of course never easy to predict).

With springtime wavelengths, the cold may first center west of us once the PNA ridge goes up and retrogression is complete.  

I'm glad to see you are feeling better man.

The big question this morning is, "when does this warm period end?" Some of the guidance is insisting on changing the pattern quickly toward 4/20. While this is possible, I think the guidance is just picking up on a nasty cold front/transient trough...quite possibly noise. IOW, I'm not buying the quick change back. :)

I'm thinking the +PNA returns in the final 5 days of April, possibly even waiting for the start of May. Notice the nice strat-trop. connection with the developing -WPO anomaly and the clear retrograding system through mid-April. This is a classic response to the tropical forcing and was well predicted by all. Also note the "final warming"  beginning in the upper levels of the stratosphere 4/16-4/20 with the +AO period coming up being the weak "-20 day" signal to some extent. I think any real legit drop in the AO will wait until early-mid May when the strat breaks down and transitions into summer, mixing with the tropical forcing signal (this is of course never easy to predict).

With springtime wavelengths, the cold may first center west of us once the PNA ridge goes up and retrogression is complete.  

Thanks man. 

Your first paragraph there makes sense to me considering the Western Canada trough, +AO spike... ensembles have just about the entire conus in above average hghts by day 15 after said transient trough.

Nice over view on the forcing at play now, still trying to catch up on whats happening out there.

Hi guys,

Been pretty busy as of late but I managed to find some time to try something new... let me know your thoughts...

AO.png

Cool. Is that index based on the EOFs of the 500 hPa height field? If you used an EOF analysis, I'm curious to know what the EOFs look like and how much variance they explain.

Archived