• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential winter threats

tombo82685

and also the regeneration of the night crew watching the 6z gfs and nam runs lol

I think I am, unofficially, two nights from staying up for 6z runs. Definitely seems to be a lot of potential as another NAO block develops and slides west over Canada at the same time we see the development of a southern stream shortwave. Looks plenty cold for everyone involved since basically all of Canada's cold air has been rerouted to the East, what little is left of it, that is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro is kicking out that SW low at 168-192 really fast wrt to all the other guidance. My question is, where is the kicker?

Odd to me considering it's tendency to keep energy there too long. The kicker may be the pattern--very fast flow across the CONUS in general. But you're right..most models have that ULL rotting in the SW states for a week.

The Euro is kicking out that SW low at 168-192 really fast wrt to all the other guidance. My question is, where is the kicker?

hr 150-162 it has a storm in between hawaii and the cali coast, which pumps a ridge up that looks like is aiding to eject it out, as the storm in the pacific moves east. Could this be the culprit?

You're telling me..I had trouble staying up even when the storm was on it's way. Thanks for texting me the 06z GFS a few of those nights by the way, bud. I now consider it good luck.

NP. BTW, I don't have battery on my phone right now... I probably should charge it... so if u sent a text, it's the reason I haven't responded.

I have selected my schedule for winter term (which begins on Tuesday) to not have a class earlier than 1:45 p.m. so I can stay on late night crew.

i didn't and still don't get what they were doing.

They were probably payed off by the NYC Sanitation Department to delay the word of the storm

Just ask algreek or sundog...did you hear the streets arent plowed?

Just wanted to make sure you knew in case you didn't read one of the 15 threads it was posted in.

Odd to me considering it's tendency to keep energy there too long. The kicker may be the pattern--very fast flow across the CONUS in general. But you're right..most models have that ULL rotting in the SW states for a week.

hr 150-162 it has a storm in between hawaii and the cali coast, which pumps a ridge up that looks like is aiding to eject it out, as the storm in the pacific moves east. Could this be the culprit?

Euro is definitely farther S with the Pac NW S/W and apparently it is just enough to disrupt the upstream height field in the SW low to kick it out. That said, it is weird how it progresses that SW low into a very non-favorable confluent flow 168-192 with no detrimental effect on it. Interesting potential event, but those cutoffs are tricky bastards for the models to handle, especially this one since there will be a "phase" between two cutoffs at 72-96 hours.

A bit off topic, but my friend asked me what first comes to mind when I think of the Dec 26, 2010 blizzard..and my response was

"INITIALIZATION ERRORS IN NUMEROUS DIAGNOSTIC QUANTITIES..."

I just talked to my friend in Boulder, he works at NCAR and is from the EC, and we got a good laugh discussing the silliness of that HPC decision.

Euro is definitely farther S with the Pac NW S/W and apparently it is just enough to disrupt the upstream height field in the SW low to kick it out. That said, it is weird how it progresses that SW low into a very non-favorable confluent flow 168-192 with no detrimental effect on it. Interesting potential event, but those cutoffs are tricky bastards for the models to handle, especially this one since there will be a "phase" between two cutoffs at 72-96 hours.

You're right about it being a weird evolution. I'm surprised the s/w doesn't weaken as it gets embedded into the flow over the US ejecting eastward from MX.

The GFS is much more dominant with the PV and the s/w just rots over the southwest US. Certainly a viable solution..we have a long ways to go with this one.

They were probably payed off by the NYC Sanitation Department to delay the word of the storm

Just ask algreek or sundog...did you hear the streets arent plowed?

Just wanted to make sure you knew in case you didn't read one of the 15 threads it was posted in.

:lmao:

During stormmode times, the 6z crew is honestly the best..Quality over quantity and no weenie posts haha

Lets roll -- Round 2 :scooter:

You're right about it being a weird evolution. I'm surprised the s/w doesn't weaken as it gets embedded into the flow over the US ejecting eastward from MX.

The GFS is much more dominant with the PV and the s/w just rots over the southwest US. Certainly a viable solution..we have a long ways to go with this one.

CMC prolly won't be right, but it shows a retrograding cutoff. Interesting because if the CMC did kick out that low, the overall look would be favorable were the kicked out SW phase with the northern stream.

i dont know if i have ever seen purples in the baffin island area in that timeframe

It was there no longer than two weeks ago. It's amazing to see the pattern try to repeat itself like this, but according to most mid range modeling, it's happening..at least to some extent. Obviously the pattern will never be exactly the same, but the longewave pattern, height fields..and height departure anomalies are pretty darn close. Hopefully we can yield some similar results.

CMC prolly won't be right, but it shows a retrograding cutoff. Interesting because if the CMC did kick out that low, the overall look would be favorable were the kicked out SW low phase with the northern stream.

That's actually a weird but pretty cool solution to watch unfold. When you loop it, you can see the Pac Ridge just build from west to east over the top of the retrograding ULL over the southwest.

That's actually a weird but pretty cool solution to watch unfold. When you loop it, you can see the Pac Ridge just build from west to east over the top of the retrograding ULL over the southwest.

It would be weird, and prolly won't happen haha. Honestly not even sure how the CMC retrogrades it because it is advecting very small values of planetary vorticity on the backside of the low...I doubt it will retrograde like that.

That said, I am rooting for another EC hit. After this plains storm, we are dead in the water for a long time over here.

It would be weird, and prolly won't happen haha. Honestly not even sure how the CMC retrogrades it because it is advecting very small values of planetary vorticity on the backside of the low...I doubt it will retrograde like that.

That said, I am rooting for another EC hit. After this plains storm, we are dead in the water for a long time over here.

yea usually whats good for us, is bad for you. Unless its a clipper or a west to east bowling ball.

yea usually whats good for us, is bad for you. Unless its a clipper or a west to east bowling ball.

This storm was mostly a big disappointment except for the folks in ND/SD and western MN. The double wave solution did not play well for us. We needed this storm to come in one big chunk with rapid non-linear amplification and a bombed plains low. Instead we got a dual wave solution with a torching today and another torching tomorrow. I love intense storms like this one now, but we had a lot of potential. Oh well.

Back to your EC discussion.

This storm was mostly a big disappointment except for the folks in ND/SD and western MN. The double wave solution did not play well for us. We needed this storm to come in one big chunk with rapid non-linear amplification and a bombed plains low. Instead we got a dual wave solution with a torching today and another torching tomorrow. I love intense storms like this one now, but we had a lot of potential. Oh well.

You drew me back in for one more post. I would be extremely annoyed if I lived in ND/SD/MN given the potential here..you can see the first shortwave flying northeast currently and the new cyclongenesis near the TX Panhandle. The second wave will probably still produce some good snows but man, what a load of potential you have here that may have not been totally realized.

f06.gif

You drew me back in for one more post. I would be extremely annoyed if I lived in ND/SD/MN given the potential here..you can see the first shortwave flying northeast currently and the new cyclongenesis near the TX Panhandle. The second wave will probably still produce some good snows but man, what a load of potential you have here that may have not been totally realized.

f06.gif

You just said it! I mentioned in our forums too, but the dual wave solution doesn't add up. In other words, the first wave is a killer, and the second wave coming in has MUCH less potential energy to work with. And guess which one was way more impressive with way more potential? The second ejecting PV. Ugh.

Archived