• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tornadoes in North Carolina

WeatherNC

Figured since we just lost 7 years worth of meteorological data at the fail swoop of one admin, why not start here on building another solid foundation. This is not a thread for current events, that is what general disco and situation specific threads are for, but you already knew that. This is a place for general smack about tornadoes in NC. Arguing currently, the bombing TN Valley runner and lee side meso-low is the best set-up for strong tornadoes here. And what is up with Kenly, been hit twice, was over there a couple years back and have some great footage of the damage, left a couple people dead though :( . Will post the shots once my global upload quota increases above 1.95mb.

I remember that March 1984 outbreak really well. It was one of the big tornado events of the 1980s.

Was actually down in Central FL for that one, 4 yrs old btw... EPIC TVS outbreak here though, Shaggy and Downeast have told me about it... Down right scary!!! At-least you know what is coming with a Cat 4 cane, but an F-4 tornado, much more localized and god forbid you are in its path.

Nice compilation of info. :thumbsup:

I remember that March 1984 outbreak really well. It was one of the big tornado events of the 1980s.

I have told this story a million times, this is prolly the one event that shoved me into being a weather freak more than any other event. The huge F4 ( on todays scale it would have been a EF5) missed our house by maybe a mile and half and at that time it was around 1000 yrds wide. The sound was unlike anything I have ever heard ( closest would be the hr or two during the peak Fran winds) and pink insulation, leaves and paper rained down for quite awhile after it hit.

Another couple that are near and dear to me is May 7th 09 cause it the one and only time I successfully chased and saw a tornado

Then of course March 28th 09 when a weak tornado missed my house by 300 yrds, I went out the front door looked to my right and was WTF as several small buildings went airborne and siding and shingles filled the air. Here area few shots luckily the damage was cosmetic all these are taken within 500 yrds of my house.

The March 27th 09 storm for the record it was a low top supercell with zero thunder, my wife was like it looks pretty windy outside and I was like you know it does. I had just woke up since I was working nights and hadnt pulled up any weather info yet.....the actual rotation was huge there is a video I will link that has it but thsi is after the area I live in was hit its more of a funnel here and what I saw was tighter and way more defined....

http://www.erh.noaa....27/20090327.php

http://witn.mycaptur...&Sort=PageViews

http://witn.mycaptur...&Sort=PageViews

Since the date of this event is tommorrow I figured it would be good to bump this......this outbreak includes the longest lived and thus longest tracked tornado in NC history at 160 miles. The thing also in true NC fashion hit between 4-6am amazingly no one died in this storm.

Here is the case study for the event the bolded sentence in this paragraph is chilling and this could have been much worse

The final round of severe weather began when a large supercell thunderstorm developed over eastern Harnett county at around 400 AM. This storm tracked rapidly northeast to near Elizabeth City by around 630 AM. The tornado initially touched down as an F3 tornado at 410 AM between Angier and Coats near the Harnett and Johnston county line. This tornado then moved northeast for 160 miles before lifting (a North Carolina record). The tornado produced a nearly continuous path of F2 and occasionally F3 damage from Wilson Mills in central Johnston County through Wilson, just south of Tarboro in Edgecombe County, through northwest Martin County, across Bertie County including Windsor, finally passing through Chowan, Perquimans, and Pasquotank Counties. In Pasquotank County at Elizabeth City, a school bus in route to school was carried 75 yards, injuring 21 people. The tornado dissipated before crossing the Pasquotank River.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/19921122/

I remember the '84 outbreak well and like you, Downeast, it sparked a near-obsession with severe weather, even at my young age of 8. We were about 15 miles away from the tornado path, but still was a strange weather day at our house. I remember my dad talking about how he could hear the upper-level winds just roaring and how he knew something bad was going to happen. Unfortunately, my dad is a first-class worrier and worried himself right into a heart attack that night not long after the tornado had hit around Greenville - even with his heart issues, the best room he could get that night was a stretcher in the hall of PCMH's emergency room watching people coming in from the tornado injuries. A few days later, after dad got out of the hospital, we all went riding around to look at the damage...I remember seeing insulation in the trees and total devastation by (what is now, I think) Daystar trailer park, and my mom's friend's brick house sliding off the foundation. I had tornado nightmares for years after that, but now I'm kinda obsessed with them. My husband thinks I'm a complete froot loop for wanting to go on a storm chasing vacation. :P Oh - another family close encounter with tornadoes - grandma and uncle both were within a mile of the '88 Raleigh tornado.

I was just re-reading this last night. I remember this very well. I was working in Greenville at the time and living in Windsor. I missed driving into that F3 by no more than a half hour on my way to work. I was in Windsor about 6:00AM. Strobe light-like lightning is what I remember most off to my north as I drove to work.

I was 13 when the '84 outbreak went through. I don't remember as much about the storms themselves as I do the damage they left behind.

Archived