• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion- cool season '23-24

mayjawintastawm

Here is my new surface loop of our northern Plains storm. The storm was kind of a combination of upper level troughs. Now, it's stuck between the northern and southern jet streams and there's not a very cold air mass. Because there's never a very cold air mass. But there was a blizzard for some.

https://great-lakes-salsite.web.app/Dec_24_27_2023_surface_loop.html

On 12/29/2023 at 7:18 PM, Chinook said:

last year on 12/21/2022.  Last year had a cold air mass that has not yet existed this winter. Were you ready for the drop to -9 degrees and snowing? Wind chill was -28 at Cheyenne and Denver for the evening hours on 12/22/2022.

Clipboard02a1.jpg

That was the storm that saved Christmas week for the I-70 ski areas. This year, not so much. Lots of dead batteries the morning of 12/22.

3 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

If this were the New England forum we'd already be wringing our hands about whether we'd get 0.5 or 4 or 15 inches of snow. (in fact, they are.)

I spent many a year on the mid-Atlantic forum trying to predict where that rain/snow line would end up.  

El Nino please help. Maybe we will see a big improvement in snow pack values (including the Sierra Nevada in the short term.) Upcoming storms will surely help the drought conditions in the Southeast. But that's not this forum.

help us el nino.jpg

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I spent many a year on the mid-Atlantic forum trying to predict where that rain/snow line would end up.  

I'm sort of glad I don't have to keep redefining "northern and western suburbs", though it would be nice to have something, anything, to talk about.

Snow drought continues up this way, just a frozen 1-3 inches around my elevation and bare ground in Columbia valley, usually there would be 1-2 feet here and 6-10 inch base in the valley. Golf courses are open in valleys further west. On NYD it was near 60F in Vancouver BC and 63F was reached on Dec 29 at SEA. Winter? I don't see it around here. 

a good bit of Colorado has a watch/warning/advisory/blizzard warning now. If you use your imagination, the blob of warnings and watches in the plains looks like a supercell with the blizzard warning colors as the RFD.

new winter storm warnings.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Snow situation much improved here now, 10" fell on Saturday and another 1-2" today, 15-20" reported in alpine ski areas. Full operations possible for first time this winter ere. Temp around 28 F. 

Great news. My home area (Loveland) still is only 20% open and maybe will get another 5-6" by next weekend, an inch at a time. Still waiting for more than dust. All the energy keeps going south and east. Good thing I'm planning an East coast trip to visit relatives next weekend- will experience their bulletproof glacier by Friday with a foot and a half of snow today followed by 2.5" rain on Wednesday then a freeze-up. Don't miss that a whole lot.

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

This snow is going to be impossible to measure due to the wind. Some spots I have nothing, some spots 6+ inches.

My picnic table is affected a lot by NW winds and was mostly scoured clean. Best average I could find around here poking around with my ruler was 2.1". Probably 15:1 ratio. COCORAHS spotters were pretty consistent around 2.5" south, east and west of here by a few miles, so I'd trust this.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I have only been in Colorado for 4 winters so far, but that snow was the lightest and fluffiest I've seen here. Which is good since I found drifts 18"+ I had to take care of

A year or two ago I had 3" of fluff in my driveway that I was able to move by getting down on my knees and blowing. That was probably 30-40:1. Ridiculous.