Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

ValpoVike

1 hour ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Smokeybandit, yours was the highest in the Metro area, looking at COCORAHS. Everywhere within the 470 extended beltway was <1" and the only 6" totals outside of the foothills were at the top of the Palmer Divide from Black Forest on west. Congrats!

CoCoRAHS, invented in Fort Collins, after the 1997 flood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The reported totals near me seem ridiculously low.  One report from this morning is 3" about 10 miles south of me, yet I had 3" by 6pm yesterday.

Precip totals around the Metro area were also lower than predicted, 0.1" to 0.3" generally (we had 0.13" and the point forecast was 0.51" yesterday morning). You were probably under a couple of micro-bands that did the job. Driving around yesterday evening, the snow intensity was incredibly variable just over a mile or two in Lone Tree-Centennial-Greenwood Village. I wonder what causes those effects- subtle convection?? Lake effect from Cherry Creek Reservoir? :P

2 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Nice 2.5" of snow last night, the most moisture at one time in a couple months. Pretty.

IMG_4103.jpg

Cool and happy you finally got some snow. Next week looks interesting, especially for the foothills. Both GFS and Euro show a dumping across the Boulder and Larimer foothills.  The lower elevations may get a nice soaking. But we’ll see if it survives the next day or two…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

Cool and happy you finally got some snow. Next week looks interesting, especially for the foothills. Both GFS and Euro show a dumping across the Boulder and Larimer foothills.  The lower elevations may get a nice soaking. But we’ll see if it survives the next day or two…

3.2" for the final today as we were under that very last band of snow that only quit around 1 PM. The next week system looks really interesting- sometimes (May 21 last year anyone?) they wind up colder than billed, which could make for a notable Tuesday night/Wednesday. Good thing few trees have leaves yet.

After this week we can make a warm season thread, but maybe not yet.

06z GFS actually puts the heaviest north and west of Denver bullseye on Larimer and Boulder. Euro likes Denver and loves the Palmer divide. Clearly someone is gonna get pasted :snowing:

edit: holy smokes look at the 06z GFS QPF, broad 3” with some crazy 4”+ amounts. NAM is trending similarly thru the end of its run. 

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

GFS, NAM and Euro are all on board with an impressive spring snowstorm for south of Denver with very sharp cutoffs north.

Smokeybandit, I think this one's for you... I'll be right on the hairy edge at 5650'. Honestly big snow this time of year doesn't excite me quite as much as it would in March, but I'll take it.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Euro with a big jump south.

something looks weird to me though with that- I can only see Euro ensemble with free pivotalweather, but the maximum QPF (like Pueblo/Walsenburg) looks to be too close to where the 500 mb low tracks, which is not too far from where it tracked last run, though it is faster this time. But I certainly do not speak fluent modelese.

The NWS has issued a winter storm watch effective for many areas above 6000 ft and the Palmer Divide. Here is the text. I havent' really looked into it. I'm not sure 6000ft would be the cutoff, but they do include the Palmer Divide in the watch, just above 5500-6000ft I believe.

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow likely. 1 to 2 feet of snow expected, with
  locally higher amounts possible.

* WHERE...Front Range mountains, including Rocky Mountain NP, the
  Indian Peaks Wilderness, and the Eisenhower Tunnel, as well as
  foothill communities such as Estes Park, Nederland, and Evergreen
  above 8,000 feet.

Here is the NWS update from today. (it's in a pdf format or something.) For areas below 6000ft, it's kind of what was expected, I suppose. Rain will be pretty helpful, as the high plains are still in drought. This will bring plenty of rain to eastern Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma over the next few days.

Clipboard02jklp.jpg

Two things really surprised me about that storm: 1) the snow level for real accumulation was much higher than forecast- looks like about 7500 feet; and 2) the total precip was much, much less than forecast south and east of the Metro area. Heavy precip over 2 inches was confined to the Pueblo area. Even SE Colorado got shafted. If it hadn't been for the convection earlier in the day, it would have been bust-o-rama for everyone.

3 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Two things really surprised me about that storm: 1) the snow level for real accumulation was much higher than forecast- looks like about 7500 feet; and 2) the total precip was much, much less than forecast south and east of the Metro area. Heavy precip over 2 inches was confined to the Pueblo area. Even SE Colorado got shafted. If it hadn't been for the convection earlier in the day, it would have been bust-o-rama for everyone.

That’s about right. I am at 7310 and about 100’ above me got light accumulation. Around 8500 it looks like considerably more from what I can see today.  Does anyone know how much rain fell north of DIA?  It looked like some very slow movers in that area. 

32 minutes ago, ValpoVike said:

That’s about right. I am at 7310 and about 100’ above me got light accumulation. Around 8500 it looks like considerably more from what I can see today.  Does anyone know how much rain fell north of DIA?  It looked like some very slow movers in that area. 

There was a narrow N-S band of 1.4-1.8 inches just north and south of DIA from Weld County south to SE Aurora, according to COCORAHS.