Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New york city snowfall

uncle W

How did Upton do on 12/24/66?

Those two '67 storm totals I posted come from the Kocin Book appendix. I do not know too many individual storm amounts out there prior to the days of PNS's posted on the NWS OKX website.

The Brookhaven website has monthly totals, but not daily ones. I have never located a daily table on the web.

http://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did Upton do on 12/24/66?

Those two '67 storm totals I posted come from the Kocin Book appendix. I do not know too many individual storm amounts out there prior to the days of PNS's posted on the NWS OKX website.

The Brookhaven website has monthly totals, but not daily ones. I have never located a daily table on the web.

http://www.bnl.gov/w...hlySnowfall.htm

However, nearby Patchogue had 7.1" from the 12/24/66 event...and Upton had 9.3" on the month for December 1966...and there was only one other snow event locally that month...when around 2" fell..so Upton likely had in the neighborhood of 7 to 7.5 inches with the 12/24 event...it was more of a hit in N. Jersey.

1966-67 also held the old snowfall record before 1995-96.... great end to winter with over 30 inches of snow in both Feb and Mar at Upton and a seasonal total of 75" It has since been surpassed by 1995-96 (91") and 2004-05 (78").

2004-05 was an amazing winter out here and an even better one in SE MA...with some spots near the Cape with close to 100".

2004-05 was an amazing winter out here and an even better one in SE MA...with some spots near the Cape with close to 100".

Yep, I use that as an example of how a winter can go perfect.... we basically need a combo of 1995-96 and 2004-05 and triple digits would be a reality!

Yep, I use that as an example of how a winter can go perfect.... we basically need a combo of 1995-96 and 2004-05 and triple digits would be a reality!

I believe a year like this only extended deeper into early December and into March could have netted us 100 inches. I mean we got almost 60 inches in about 30 days!

I believe a year like this only extended deeper into early December and into March could have netted us 100 inches. I mean we got almost 60 inches in about 30 days!

I agree-- according to Don S NYC actually approached 100 inches just before records started being kept-- it was sometime in the early 1860s. If only they'd sarted keeping records a few years earlier :P

We've also had close to 100 inches if you count the past 12 months Feb 2010 to Jan 2011.... and that includes the two foot snow storm which missed us by 50 miles and the snowless March from last year.

I agree-- according to Don S NYC actually approached 100 inches just before records started being kept-- it was sometime in the early 1860s. If only they'd sarted keeping records a few years earlier :P

We've also had close to 100 inches if you count the past 12 months Feb 2010 to Jan 2011.... and that includes the two foot snow storm which missed us by 50 miles and the snowless March from last year.

February 5-6th would have been way more than two foot, likely 30 to 38 inches would have fallen here.... Just look at Howard County, Carroll County, Balitmore County Maryland....

1995-96 lost around 31" due to events that were not all snow...If the events were all snow NYC would have gotten 100" or more...

Also that ill fated April 1996 storm that dropped 6-12 inches from here to Suffolk County and 6-10 inches on the Jersey Shore and somehow didnt stick in NYC. Plus Jan 1996 looks like it was undermeasured at NYC by a few inches, going by EWR and LGA numbers.

Also that ill fated April 1996 storm that dropped 6-12 inches from here to Suffolk County and 6-10 inches on the Jersey Shore and somehow didnt stick in NYC. Plus Jan 1996 looks like it was undermeasured at NYC by a few inches, going by EWR and LGA numbers.

Credit again to board member NorthShoreWx:

http://www.northshor...10Snowstorm.gif

I think the entire area...from Cold Spring Harbor...across northern sections of Syosset...the Brookville's...East Norwich....rate among the snowiest spots in Nassau...with a true mean of around 32 to 33 inches annually.

That's in line with my thinking. Basically, northeast Nassau is in the same zone that extends out along the north shore of Suffolk. It's hard to say as you mentioned in a different post, where someone gets an inch more, but 32-33 is a good solid number along much of the north shore. Over the past 10 years the higher totals have definitely been skewed towards central Long Island, but I believe at times the reverse is true and in those years the western part of that "snow belt" does better than the eastern part (this year so far is looking like such an example). I am not comfortable yet calling east or west snowier than the other. It's all noticeably snowier (on average) than the south shore or east end (or NYC).

That's in line with my thinking. Basically, northeast Nassau is in the same zone that extends out along the north shore of Suffolk. It's hard to say, as you mentioned in a different post where someone gets an inch more, but 32-33 is a good solid number along much of the north shore. Over the past 10 years the higher totals have definitely been skewed towards central Long Island, but I believe at times the reverse is true and in those years the western part of that "snow belt" does better than the eastern part (this year so far is looking like such an example). I am not comfortable yet calling east or west snowier than the other. It's all noticeably snowier (on average) than the south shore or east end (or NYC).

Where do you think the snowfall drop off begins? Like, as you go east along the northshore, somewhere around Wading River? That's my thinking. As far as westward extent, I think as long as there is elevation then you have elevated totals. East Hills-Great Neck area. Not sure it extends all the way back to Port Washington but it might.

Where do you think the snowfall drop off begins? Like, as you go east along the northshore, somewhere around Wading River? That's my thinking. As far as westward extent, I think as long as there is elevation then you have elevated totals. East Hills-Great Neck area. Not sure it extends all the way back to Port Washington but it might.

I think distance from the ocean is a much bigger factor than elevation. William and I have discussed his speculation, which I find very reasonable, that in spots in the West Hills with elevations near 400 feet, elevation probably counts for somethng and there is some potential that you can find a 35" average there, but for most of the island, the difference between 50 feet and 250 feet isn't going to mean a lot in terms of snowfall.

Port Washington is trickier. They definitely have a north shore climate pattern in winter, but they are probably outside of the max region (more like 30"). Now in a western LI type of winter (if they ever come back in style, which they will) they can do quite well, but they are on the edge of the NYC heat island and I think it has an effect. Thats my gut feel, and is consistent with the 10 winters in PW that I observed personally.

To the east, I think the drop off begins east of the William Floyd Parkway...possibly even farther west than that despite the pattern of the past decade or so. The drop off steepens east of Riverhead. The north fork can be an exception in certain types of winters due to increasing lattitude (Orient is about he same as BDR or Ossining, NY..41.17 I think), but they are still way out of the sweet spot (depite the fantastic reports that seem to show at the top of every PNS). Other winters, they just suck up the joint compared to points west (this may be one of them). Think KGON with water on three sides instead of only one.

The climate of the forks is just plain too maritime to maintain a long term average snowfall equal to points west along the north shore. The Bridgehampton coop is quite a decent record and I think they are a smidge above 28", so its not like we are talking double the totals. My guess is that Orient averages a hair less than Bridgehampton, but thats just a guess.

I think distance from the ocean is a much bigger factor than elevation. William and I have discussed his speculation, which I find very reasonable, that in spots in the West Hills with elevations near 400 feet, elevation probably counts for somethng and there is some potential that you can find a 35" average there, but for most of the island, the difference between 50 feet and 250 feet isn't going to mean a lot in terms of snowfall.

Port Washington is trickier. They definitely have a north shore climate pattern in winter, but they are probably outside of the max region (more like 30"). Now in a western LI type of winter (if they ever come back in style, which they will) they can do quite well, but they are on the edge of the NYC heat island and I think it has an effect. Thats my gut feel, and is consistent with the 10 winters in PW that I observed personally.

To the east, I think the drop off begins east of the William Floyd Parkway...possibly even farther west than that despite the pattern of the past decade or so. The drop off steepens east of Riverhead. The north fork can be an exception in certain types of winters due to increasing lattitude (Orient is about he same as BDR or Ossining, NY..41.17 I think), but they are still way out of the sweet spot (depite the fantastic reports that seem to show at the top of every PNS). Other winters, they just suck up the joint compared to points west (this may be one of them). Think KGON with water on three sides instead of only one.

The climate of the forks is just plain too maritime to maintain a long term average snowfall equal to points west along the north shore. The Bridgehampton coop is quite a decent record and I think they are a smidge above 28", so its not like we are talking double the totals. My guess is that Orient averages a hair less, but thats just a guess.

I agree, I've always thought Orient had a KGON type of climate.... for Port Washington I associated it with Bridgeport, CT.... do you think that would work, or would there be a significant difference? We have a co-op in Centerport, so hopefully as data accumulates, we can build a decent dataset of north shore climatology. Looks like Northport and Mt Sinai are now recording snowfall totals also. We already have the south shore pretty well covered between FOK, Islip, Farmingdale and JFK (inaccuracies and all.)

I've always wondered why there arent any airports on the north shore-- is it because they didnt want to create a flight pattern over more land than absolutely necessary? Im not including LGA (its more of a city airport and doesnt seem to typify north shore climatology.) Maybe if there were a north shore airport, we would have had some decent data already.

The climate of the forks is just plain too maritime to maintain a long term average snowfall equal to points west along the north shore. The Bridgehampton coop is quite a decent record and I think they are a smidge above 28", so its not like we are talking double the totals. My guess is that Orient averages a hair less than Bridgehampton, but thats just a guess.

One storm I'd be dying to see totals from Orient and Montauk for would be the Feb 1978 blizzard-- I imagine they had some amazing totals out that way.

To the east, I think the drop off begins east of the William Floyd Parkway...possibly even farther west than that despite the pattern of the past decade or so.

Having lived here 17 years but also having looked at historical patterns in books such as the two volume Kocin set, the true drop off line might be very close to where I'm located...near Route 112.

I agree, I've always thought Orient had a KGON type of climate.... for Port Washington I associated it with Bridgeport, CT.... do you think that would work, or would there be a significant difference? We have a co-op in Centerport, so hopefully as data accumulates, we can build a decent dataset of north shore climatology. Looks like Northport and Mt Sinai are now recording snowfall totals also. We already have the south shore pretty well covered between FOK, Islip, Farmingdale and JFK (inaccuracies and all.)

I've always wondered why there arent any airports on the north shore-- is it because they didnt want to create a flight pattern over more land than absolutely necessary? Im not including LGA (its more of a city airport and doesnt seem to typify north shore climatology.) Maybe if there were a north shore airport, we would have had some decent data already.

I'd say BDR is a little snowier than PW. I know the climo for Sikorsky isn't all that impressive, but I'd have a hard time saying they are the same.

Having lived here 17 years but also having looked at historical patterns in books such as the two volume Kocin set, the true drop off line might be very close to where I'm located...near Route 112.

William, how much of a difference would you say there is between your current location and your old haunts around Plainview?

I'd say BDR is a little snowier than PW. I know the climo for Sikorsky isn't all that impressive, but I'd have a hard time saying they are the same.

Latitude thing... so I guess if BDR is a bit snowier than Port Washington, then GON should be a bit snowier than Orient? That makes the guy who measures there look even worse lol.

William, how much of a difference would you say there is between your current location and your old haunts around Plainview?

I'd guess around 3 or 4 inches in an average winter. Though given the different eras in which I lived in both locales, it seems like about a foot...

Montauk only had 12" in '78. I believe they mixed for a time. Orient probably did better than Montauk, but I don't know what happened there.

Wow, I was too little to remember anything about that storm, but I saw some old newspaper clippings that said "The snowfall got heavier the further east you went on Long Island, which is unusual." Haha, that got me upset even back when I read it, because I knew they were wrong about the "unusual" part.

I'd guess around 3 or 4 inches in an average winter. Though given the different eras in which I lived in both locales, it seems like about a foot...

And Plainview is center island.... I imagine it gets 3 -4 inches more than my location does per year, on average.

I can't argue with that. I may have given too much weight to the past decade. OKX is in a decent spot, but I think they are an inch or two off the mark for the main snow belt. East of there I have no doubt that averages fall off.

Riverhead (which is more like central LI) got 25.0 inches.

Everyone on the Island got more than 20" save for way out on the South Fork.

Archived