• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 17th-21st Severe Weather Event

HillsdaleMIWeather

That's awesome. Sounds kind of dumb, but on message boards like this, I just think of everyone as user names. Never would expect to run into or meet anyone from the board, especially as I don't personally know anyone on here.

Hell for all I know, some of us have met; but without your username and avatar on your shirt, I would have no idea.

I would put money on the fact that you and I have at least passed each other on 88 headed to work or home.

I know my wife has seen you....she was stuck in traffic during your accident last winter  :cry: (I was about 10 minutes ahead of the accident)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know my wife has seen you....she was stuck in traffic during your accident last winter :cry: (I was about 10 minutes ahead of the accident)

OT and sorry for the thread hijack, but yeah... That screwed up a lot of people's commute that day. Did she get past the accident before everything was closed to land the helicopter? I have buddies are still giving me hell about their 4 hour trip home while I got the express ride in the life flight chopper

I did a survey today of far northern Will and DuPage counties and confirmed 2 more EF-0 tornadoes. http://www.weather.gov/lot/18August2015

That brought us to 4 tornadoes in the LOT CWA for the event and by my count, 28 tornadoes in 2015. I'm gonna check this weekend where that ranks historically for the LOT CWA.

28 tors should be the most on record IIRC, beating out 2004.

I did a survey today of far northern Will and DuPage counties and confirmed 2 more EF-0 tornadoes. http://www.weather.gov/lot/18August2015

That brought us to 4 tornadoes in the LOT CWA for the event and by my count, 28 tornadoes in 2015. I'm gonna check this weekend where that ranks historically for the LOT CWA.

Nice write up. I noticed that you got the ground-scraping wall cloud that you and Danny caught included in the pic section.

Nice write up. I noticed that you got the ground-scraping wall cloud that you and Danny caught included in the pic section.

Thanks! Yep, figured I'd include that one since it's pretty striking. I'm glad we didn't have the extra 5 or 10 mph of surface flow to get that supercell to produce a tornado because it could've gotten ugly.

• 1 month later...

Date: August 18th, 2015

Event: Several Supercells

Summary:

Decided to pull the trigger and chase a marginal day here across Northern Illinois. For the better part of the year I have been at the NWS office for bigger events, so this was a nice break to get back out in the field. Adam, Ricky Castro from NWS LOT, and I decided that Western Illinois saw the best potential for supercells and subsequently ventured out that way just after noon. We made Galesburg by 3 P.M. and started stair stepping storms. A few showed supercellular characteristics [shown below], but due to no surface flow were not able to maintain a favorable balance. The storms out west were not as HP as I thought they would be, but couldn’t establish any inflow. Most of Northern Illinois was under a tornado watch, including our home areas in the Chicago metro. We noticed storms developing near the vicinity of the outflow boundary and made the decision to blast back east toward the I-55 corridor. As we neared Peoria, tornado warnings were issued for the Pontiac area and a few tornadoes were eventually reported and documented. We pressed on east toward Pontiac, but were several minutes too late for the show. To our west a rapidly evolving QLCS was setting it’s sights for our location. We were going to sit in Odell and let the line overtake us, but some renewed rotation developed just south of Morris and we set off for it. As we approached the storm had a few suspicious lowerings that a couple of people have tried to argue was a brief tornado. We were too far out of position to view it, so couldn’t help that argument. As we moved into Morris, the rotation was located over the city, but a new area was forming off to our east near I-55. We took Route 6 out of Morris and core punched the storm until we came into Channahon. At this point we noted beautiful supercell structure and even some broad rotation hovering near the Route 6/I 55 intersection. The storm started to get very well developed at the lower levels and exhibited excellent presentation on the radar. At this point we were basically in constant contact with the NWS as the storm was heading straight for the office. Not only was it headed for the office, it was headed toward my house. As the storm got east of 55 and north of 80, a tornado warning was issued. Sirens wailed as we blasted north of Larkin/Weber Road. A dramatic clear slot carved it’s way around the updraft and we thought a big tornado was about to descend over my neighborhood. As we crossed Caton Farm, a big bowl lowering crossed the road a mile or two ahead of us and dropped. Here we go, big tornado about to form directly near the NWS office. We stopped at Division and Weber and watched as this strongly rotating wall cloud churned over the neighborhoods on Renwick Road. Adam did a live update, Ricky was on the phone with the NWS, and I was giving a play by play. Thankfully the RFD wrapped around and choked off the storms inflow and the rotation began to weaken. I know it is odd for me to be thankful for not witnessing a tornado, but when it is directly over my house I think I am excused! The storm moved deeper into the city and we decided to head back to my house and let the QLCS run us over. It was largely unimpressive, but did have a few embedded circulations that ended up producing a few weak tornadoes in Bolingbrook/Naperville/Downers Grove area. The metro area dodges another bullet. Did the tornado survey afterward with Ricky that he mentioned above. post-13488-0-04654500-1444235982_thumb.jpost-13488-0-62098900-1444236015_thumb.jpost-13488-0-84652000-1444236032_thumb.jpost-13488-0-36886000-1444236044_thumb.j

Date: August 18th, 2015

Event: Several Supercells

Summary:

Decided to pull the trigger and chase a marginal day here across Northern Illinois. For the better part of the year I have been at the NWS office for bigger events, so this was a nice break to get back out in the field. Adam, Ricky Castro from NWS LOT, and I decided that Western Illinois saw the best potential for supercells and subsequently ventured out that way just after noon. We made Galesburg by 3 P.M. and started stair stepping storms. A few showed supercellular characteristics [shown below], but due to no surface flow were not able to maintain a favorable balance. The storms out west were not as HP as I thought they would be, but couldn’t establish any inflow. Most of Northern Illinois was under a tornado watch, including our home areas in the Chicago metro. We noticed storms developing near the vicinity of the outflow boundary and made the decision to blast back east toward the I-55 corridor. As we neared Peoria, tornado warnings were issued for the Pontiac area and a few tornadoes were eventually reported and documented. We pressed on east toward Pontiac, but were several minutes too late for the show. To our west a rapidly evolving QLCS was setting it’s sights for our location. We were going to sit in Odell and let the line overtake us, but some renewed rotation developed just south of Morris and we set off for it. As we approached the storm had a few suspicious lowerings that a couple of people have tried to argue was a brief tornado. We were too far out of position to view it, so couldn’t help that argument. As we moved into Morris, the rotation was located over the city, but a new area was forming off to our east near I-55. We took Route 6 out of Morris and core punched the storm until we came into Channahon. At this point we noted beautiful supercell structure and even some broad rotation hovering near the Route 6/I 55 intersection. The storm started to get very well developed at the lower levels and exhibited excellent presentation on the radar. At this point we were basically in constant contact with the NWS as the storm was heading straight for the office. Not only was it headed for the office, it was headed toward my house. As the storm got east of 55 and north of 80, a tornado warning was issued. Sirens wailed as we blasted north of Larkin/Weber Road. A dramatic clear slot carved it’s way around the updraft and we thought a big tornado was about to descend over my neighborhood. As we crossed Caton Farm, a big bowl lowering crossed the road a mile or two ahead of us and dropped. Here we go, big tornado about to form directly near the NWS office. We stopped at Division and Weber and watched as this strongly rotating wall cloud churned over the neighborhoods on Renwick Road. Adam did a live update, Ricky was on the phone with the NWS, and I was giving a play by play. Thankfully the RFD wrapped around and choked off the storms inflow and the rotation began to weaken. I know it is odd for me to be thankful for not witnessing a tornado, but when it is directly over my house I think I am excused! The storm moved deeper into the city and we decided to head back to my house and let the QLCS run us over. It was largely unimpressive, but did have a few embedded circulations that ended up producing a few weak tornadoes in Bolingbrook/Naperville/Downers Grove area. The metro area dodges another bullet. Did the tornado survey afterward with Ricky that he mentioned above. attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice write up. Those photos near the NWS office show how close we were to having a devastating tornado on the ground in the southwest burbs. Chicago metro keeps ducking and weaving, but it is only a matter of time before luck runs out.

And I agree completely with the "love tornadoes until it is your house" sentiment. While watching the storm that ultimately produced the fairdale EF4, I was waiting for it to pull a classic "hard right" and barrel down the I-88 area into the DeKalb metro area (i use

metro area loosely). Was some butt puckering for a brief time as I watched how intense the GTG was on radar, and its overall presentation. Luckily, that hard right turn never occurred, and it continued in a NE direction. Move that tornado 15 miles SE, or the Coal City tornado 20 miles north, and we would still be sifting through rubble in many neighborhoods.

Nice write up. Those photos near the NWS office show how close we were to having a devastating tornado on the ground in the southwest burbs. Chicago metro keeps ducking and weaving, but it is only a matter of time before luck runs out.

And I agree completely with the "love tornadoes until it is your house" sentiment. While watching the storm that ultimately produced the fairdale EF4, I was waiting for it to pull a classic "hard right" and barrel down the I-88 area into the DeKalb metro area (i use

metro area loosely). Was some butt puckering for a brief time as I watched how intense the GTG was on radar, and its overall presentation. Luckily, that hard right turn never occurred, and it continued in a NE direction. Move that tornado 15 miles SE, or the Coal City tornado 20 miles north, and we would still be sifting through rubble in many neighborhoods.

I concur. As noted above, if we had anything more than even 10 kt of surface flow, we'd be looking a much more significant tornado event in the southwest suburbs. Slow moving supercell didn't utilize the favorable llvl shear that the faster moving QLCS was able to an hour later. June 22nd was making a bee-line for the same areas (my house/NWS) but thankfully each recycle of the meso was further south (or to the right) as would be expected. Really bad for Coal City, really good for WxDanny Estates :)

Archived