• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Comet Lovejoy

A few days past perihelion now, but Lovejoy should remain a fun target for at least a couple weeks more. Look up and to the right of Orion before moonrise (for the next several days); it's marginally in naked-eye territory for suburban and darker skies.

I took this image with a basic DSLR and tripod rig, ten non-tracked 3-second exposures at f/1.8 and ISO 1600 stacked in DeepSkyStacker, then edited in Lightroom. There are obviously far more impressive photos of the comet, but since most of us don't have huge telescopes with tracking mounts, I don't think it's bad.

XOZOUQ9.jpg

A few days past perihelion now, but Lovejoy should remain a fun target for at least a couple weeks more. Look up and to the right of Orion before moonrise (for the next several days); it's marginally in naked-eye territory for suburban and darker skies.

I took this image with a basic DSLR and tripod rig, ten non-tracked 3-second exposures at f/1.8 and ISO 1600 stacked in DeepSkyStacker, then edited in Lightroom. There are obviously far more impressive photos of the comet, but since most of us don't have huge telescopes with tracking mounts, I don't think it's bad.

XOZOUQ9.jpg

I like it. Many thanks for sharing this image.

Archived