joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a look at the big picture in terms of snow liquid equivalent.  Seems that CO and UT have done ok.  The Sierras, Pac NW and high desert SW (think Flagstaff) have all performed terribly so far. 

Overall a good year for WY and MT, with not too many big storms but many steady light snows associated with frontal passages if I recall correctly.

The Cascades and Olympics have been too warm for some of their large events, leading to low snowpack. Perhaps more rainfall flowed into the reservoirs and perhaps river flooding was a bigger issue. On the other hand, some basins of Montana has been up to 130% of normal SWE in recent days.

there were some decent snow totals around the Denver foothills and Colorado Springs. It looks like Colorado Springs got hit with 4-9", and they had snow all day yesterday. I think the Pikes Peak area and the Wet Mountains got a lot.

It looks like we could see 60-65 degrees Monday with relatively light downslope winds. This a drier-than-normal winter so far.  Fort Collins snow total is about 15". We should have up to 28" by the end of January, but we won't, with this heat wave.

jan%2021%2022%20storm%20reports%20CO.jpg

All I can say is- I am just so jealous. I think they get more shovelable snow in Georgia than here recently.

FXUS61 KBOX 261756
AFDBOX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA
1256 PM EST MON JAN 26 2015

.SYNOPSIS...
A HISTORIC WINTER STORM WILL AFFECT THE REGION TONIGHT INTO
TUESDAY NIGHT...TRAVEL MAY BECOME IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING.
DRIER WEATHER FOLLOWS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO EARLY THURSDAY...BUT
LOW PRESSURE WILL BRING ANOTHER CHANCE FOR SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT AND
FRIDAY. VERY COLD AIR LIKELY FOLLOWS FOR NEXT WEEKEND.

And it's funny to see the NWS forecasters get all amped up...

From the evening BOX AFD, written (I think) by Dick Vitale:

LOTS OF OFFSHORE LIGHTNING ACTIVITY INDICATIVE THAT THIS STORM IS GETTING
BEEFY/INTENSIFYING. ITS BOMBOGENESIS BABY!

And further on in the same AFD:

CONSIDER ANY AND ALL POSSIBILITIES NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK THE OUTCOMES MAY BE.

Hmmm... any and all possibilities? Maybe a tornado? Plane crash? Asteroid? Zombie apocalypse? Yeah. that's it... consider a zombie apocalypse.  Do they have watches and warnings for those?

:snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing: 

Fort Collins-CSU most likely broke record highs yesterday and today. I believe that we broke the monthly record. Looking at NOWDATA on the NWS web site, the January highest temperature for Fort Collins is listed as 73. It was in the month of January 1996. We got to 75 yesterday. I think 75 is the highest temperature in any city that I have lived in, in the entire climatology, for January.

Edit:

The GFS analyzed 850mb temperature at the Front Range was 3 standard deviations above normal. We have pretty high standard deviations, too

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/

I think 75 is the highest temperature in any city that I have lived in, in the entire climatology, for January.

Actually, me too. I've been to Florida a couple times in January for a few days, and I don't think it got to 75 then either where I was.

Meanwhile back where my family lives they got 31 inches of snow in about 20 hours. Cold enough that it was actually not hard to shovel/snowblow, comparatively- though 31 inches of anything is hard to get rid of. They have off from school/work tomorrow, time to play!

This southwestern storm system should produce 4"+ for New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah mountains. It is a weak setup for snow at Denver, with temps around 32 if it even snows on Saturday.

Darn. I will go more than a month without 1" of snow at my backyard, if it doesn't snow 1" before Feb 3rd. The last 1" in Fort Collins city limits was Jan. 11th-12th. The last 1" in my backyard was Jan. 3rd.

Wow, it is really dry up there. At least we got 3" last week with the wave as it moved south. If it wasn't for Christmas week and the week after, we'd be doing really poorly with snow.

I looked at the SFO climate data last night and they've had a whopping 0.00" since Christmas Eve. Good thing they had 10+ inches of rain the 23 days before that.

Saw an article today in the Denver Post that mentioned January was the least snowy statewide since at least 1986. I looked all over for any sign that this might change and all I found was indications of the western ridge strengthening, if anything, maybe moving east a little (good for bits of northern CA, not for us). Wow. And my relatives back in MA need to find extensions for their snowblower chutes with another foot of snow coming on Monday. We need a superhero to break this persistent pattern.

We've probably had at least 3 inches here in Stapleton - no signs of letting up.

This will be the least-hyped 3+ inch snow event in my 3 years here in Denver. As late as midnight last night, forecasts and models seemed to be pretty bearish on any real snow accumulations over an inch or two.

Chinook, you might be able to explain better what's changed so quickly in the atmosphere to amplify this system - any thoughts?

It is 70 F with a dewpoint of 7 F here, now. 37 years ago today, the formative weather event of my life started... the great northeast Blizzard of '78. Nothing to compare since, even though the recent blizzard was similar in terms of snow totals. People say there may never be another one in terms of impact either, as the ability to cope with such a storm has grown significantly.

Anyone out here remember that one?

official records broken in January at Fort Collins-CSU. I'll have more records to list when I get the climate update for February!

26 January 2015: The maximum temperature of 75F broke the previous record of 71F set in 1982.

27 January 2015: The maximum temperature of 72F broke the previous record of 65F set in 1987

Archived