• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Radar Scanning Techniques by WSR-88Ds (AVSET and SAILS)

How is this the first time I am hearing about this? This seems like an obviously good idea that should be employed during dire weather situations such as a severe weather outbreak.

http://thevane.gawker.com/this-one-little-programming-tweak-will-save-thousands-o-1592764166

Apparently SAILS was activated yesterday for the Sioux Falls, SD radar with obviously beneficial results of having radar scans every 2 minutes! This has pretty big implications for better warnings lead times! The change in the radar program means we lose some of those higher level scans (e.g. 19.5 degrees) when reflectivity at those higher scans is below a specific threshold. Thus when there is hail nearby a radar tower it still will be using those upper radar scans, but when they aren't useful at all, we can take advantage of the lower tilt scans more frequently! 

773830743512396326.gif

I'm just kinda surprised it hasn't gotten very much press... this is definitely the most substantial upgrade to radar scanning the since going to Dual Pol and its applications could be just as important! 

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=mkx&storyid=102796&source=0

It looks like its been in development for a while, but only has more recently been sent out as an upgrade to the RPG. Either way, cool stuff that should have obvious utility!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe AVSET was added to RPG 13.x so it has been around for awhile. SAILS is what got added in 14.x. And yes, wicked cool. KOAX had it in time for the twin Pilger tornadoes.

I think you are correct... its just the combination of the two that allow a temporal resolution up to 1 minute 45 seconds, which is quite incredible considering VCP 12 temporal resolution is somewhere north of 4 minutes. 

Archived