joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually enjoy severe weather, but we got a LOT of hail damage in our neck of the woods this afternoon. Hail was around 1.5 inches, a couple inches deep in most spots. Pretty widespread, with 5-6 spotter reports of 1 to 1.75 inch hail around Centennial per NWS. Damage was mostly "minor", i.e. small amounts of roof damage on shake roofs and any car outside was decorated with lots of dents... also our neighborhood lost probably half its leaves in an hour. But then I went to my local car dealership on Arapahoe Rd near Havana to take care of some paperwork, and the usually bubbly staff looked like they were at a funeral. They were estimating the damage to each car in the lot at around $10K to fix... times a few hundred cars... times half a dozen dealerships in the immediate area. Yikes.

This was a pretty notable severe weather day in NE Colorado, especially with hail in the metro area. This was kind of a surprise for me. I thought Colorado would get missed my much of the heavy rain. The SPC didn't even give us a slight risk outlook yesterday. I don't think CAPEs were predicted to be very high. I think my area got 0.4" to 0.6" so far (not sure) with almost no lightning.

post-1182-0-10101000-1412049158_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-38019100-1412049399_thumb.jp

I usually enjoy severe weather, but we got a LOT of hail damage in our neck of the woods this afternoon. Hail was around 1.5 inches, a couple inches deep in most spots. Pretty widespread, with 5-6 spotter reports of 1 to 1.75 inch hail around Centennial per NWS. Damage was mostly "minor", i.e. small amounts of roof damage on shake roofs and any car outside was decorated with lots of dents... also our neighborhood lost probably half its leaves in an hour. But then I went to my local car dealership on Arapahoe Rd near Havana to take care of some paperwork, and the usually bubbly staff looked like they were at a funeral. They were estimating the damage to each car in the lot at around $10K to fix... times a few hundred cars... times half a dozen dealerships in the immediate area. Yikes.

Wow, sorry to hear about that! We got about 1/3 inch of rain and gusted to 32 mph this morning. Woke up to snowy peaks!

8ZZFyEq.jpg

I usually enjoy severe weather, but we got a LOT of hail damage in our neck of the woods this afternoon. Hail was around 1.5 inches, a couple inches deep in most spots.

Sorry to hear that your car got hit. I have actually repaired my car 2 or 3 times in Colorado, for hail sizes smaller than that. Even the small stuff takes a lot of money, more than my deductible.

Records broken at Denver on the 15th and 24th

---

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOULDER CO215 PM MDT FRI OCT 24 2014...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT DENVER CO...A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 81 DEGREES WAS SET AT DENVER CO AT 135PM MDT THIS AFTERNOON. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 80 SET IN 2011.

---

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER, CO200 PM MDT WED OCT 15 2014...RECORD DAILY MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT DENVER...A RECORD MAX TEMPERATURE OF 83 DEGREES WAS SET AT DENVERINTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 82DEGREES SET IN 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

The 12z NAM has 0.5" to 1" total QPF in 48 hours, about 0.5" at Loveland, and 1.0" at Cheyenne. The GFS has about 0.5" for Fort Collins, Loveland and Cheyenne. This could turn to snow, but the GFS says temperatures will stay in the 40's during Monday morning.  I don't expect anything big. There is a winter weather advisory for high country (Larimer County). The high mountains have not been very snowy yet. We had a warm October.

Fort Collins forecast

Scattered rain showers before 3am, then scattered rain and snow showers.

Rain and snow showers likely before 11am, then a chance of rain showers.

The West was all warmer than normal in October, and most of the Rocky Mountains had below normal precipitation. The snowpack levels are quite low, considering the warm/dry October. It is generally nice to see a normal Oct/Nov snowpack for our mountains. I guess we will have to wait.

Starting to approach record territory for lack of snowfall in Denver.

post-384-0-02137700-1415195769_thumb.png

The Euro says we'll only have to wait another week. BOU isn't as confident.

LATER SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY THE BACK SIDE OF A MEAN
TROUGH/CLOSED LOW IS PROGGED TO MOVE INTO COLORADO WITH A
COLDER AIRMASS. STRONG WEST-NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT IS PROGGED
FOR THE CWA MONDAY AND TUESDAY WITH A COLD AIRMASS IN PLACE.
MOISTURE IS LACKING...BUT THE COLD AIR AND UPSLOPE COULD MEAN SOME
SNOW. IT WILL BARE WATCHING.

Archived