• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Southern Ontario Winter '13/'14 Discussion

harrisale

The 80s and early 90s had some awful winters which sort of skewed up the average. What we need now is a string of above normal Winters to bring that average back up. Since the PDO shifted, this is how the Winters have played out in terms of snowfall; 

2007-08: Above normal 

08-09: Above normal

09-10: Below normal

10-11: Above normal

11-12: Dont remind me! 

12-13: near normal

However, despite these statistics, the number of snowstorms (>15cm) has declined considerably since 2008-09. 

Lets see how the next few Winters play out! 

This century has had way more awful winters than the 1990s and 80s. 2001-02, 2009-10, 2011-12, 32.4cm falling in all of calendar year 2006 at YYZ. I mean those are some hideous winters that don't have a lot of competition in the 1980s or 1990s. The 1980s and 90s weren't as snowy as the very snowy 1970s but they, to me at least, represented a return to about normal winters. It's been the last 15 years or so where we've fallen off a cliff. So if anything has "skewed" the numbers it's been the addition of decade 2001-10 (as well as losing the snowy 70s).

Interesting video from CTV Kitchener today says that winters such as this still look to be a thing of the past by 2050. Says that the average January temperature has warmed by 2 degrees Celsius since the 1960s.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=282183

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Momz says 3-4" fell between the overnight clipper and LES band. I asked her to double check and she's sure of the numbers. Not bad at all. 

YYZ as of yesterday is sitting at 63.3cm for the season. After today it will probably be at or above 65cm which would put us above 06-07.   The Vaughan station is sitting at 92.8cm for the season as of yesterday  :lmao:  :mellow:

Monthly mean temperature for January thru yesterday is -8.3C. 

I believe OttawaBlizzard is the closest out all of us to the Vaughan station. I'm interested in his seasonal total thus far. 

YYZ as of yesterday is sitting at 63.3cm for the season. After today it will probably be at or above 65cm which would put us above 06-07.   The Vaughan station is sitting at 92.8cm for the season as of yesterday  :lmao:  :mellow:

I believe OttawaBlizzard is the closest out all of us to the Vaughan station. I'm interested in his seasonal total thus far. 

There is no Vaughan station. Buttonville (which I assume is what you're referring to) is in Markham.

If we don't get a 6"+ storm before this season ends, it will tie last year for me in terms of quality. Right now this season is inching ahead simply due to more cold and sustained snow cover. What really hurts this year is the lack of many 4"+ storms (I haven't experienced one since the 2nd week of December!) and all the juicy storms that have either clipped or completely busted for us. It leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

If we don't get a 6"+ storm before this season ends, it will tie last year for me in terms of quality. Right now this season is inching ahead simply due to more cold and sustained snow cover. What really hurts this year is the lack of many 4"+ storms (I haven't experienced one since the 2nd week of December!) and all the juicy storms that have either clipped or completely busted for us. It leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.

It's going to be hard to swallow the Friday storm if it ends up being mostly rain like the EURO is showing.

YYZ as of yesterday is sitting at 63.3cm for the season. After today it will probably be at or above 65cm which would put us above 06-07. The Vaughan station is sitting at 92.8cm for the season as of yesterday :lmao::mellow:

My snowfall measurements are very consistent with buttonville... 90.8cm thus far in my backyard.

It's going to be hard to swallow the Friday storm if it ends up being mostly rain like the EURO is showing.

Would be surprised if we saw mostly rain given the fact that the PV is not far away and cold air will likely be in place either at the sfc or in the BL in some way, shape or form. Strong WPO/EPO ridging should also keep cold air available. The GFS/EC ENS are further south with thermals when compared to the ecmwf and gem. Favouring a comprimise currently, but when the AO/NAO are positive it can be a red flag for a northerly track.

Would be surprised if we saw mostly rain given the fact that the PV is not far away and cold air will likely be in place either at the sfc or in the BL in some way, shape or form. Strong WPO/EPO ridging should also keep cold air available. The GFS/EC ENS are further south with thermals when compared to the ecmwf and gem. Favouring a comprimise currently, but when the AO/NAO are positive it can be a red flag for a northerly track.

I tend to agree. EURO's by its lonesome with the far north track and it's performance this winter leaves a lot to be desired. Just throwing out an ugly what if scenario.

You got it. Nice memory.

North York is officially at 68.6cm through Jan 20. Being generous, add 15cm for the last couple of clippers and that brings them up to 83.6cm. They're usually more towards the high end as it is so I'm thinking you've caught some blowing snow contamination. That being said, as a former imby snow measurer, I know how tough it can be in a residential area to do accurate measurements. If you can keep it to with 10cm of your nearest official climo station, you're doing a good job.

For me unfortunately, my nearest climo station was the nipher at Pearson so keeping it within 10cm was almost impossible.

I tend to agree. EURO's by its lonesome with the far north track and it's performance this winter leaves a lot to be desired. Just throwing out an ugly what if scenario.

Just to confirm, this is for an event on Friday 31st, or the one next week.

North York is officially at 68.6cm through Jan 20. Being generous, add 15cm for the last couple of clippers and that brings them up to 83.6cm. They're usually more towards the high end as it is so I'm thinking you've caught some blowing snow contamination. That being said, as a former imby snow measurer, I know how tough it can be in a residential area to do accurate measurements. If you can keep it to with 10cm of your nearest official climo station, you're doing a good job.

For me unfortunately, my nearest climo station was the nipher at Pearson so keeping it within 10cm was almost impossible.

Ya, your probably right. Curious to see how my backyard amounts will compare to YYZ and north york by the end of the season. Plenty of LR potential coming up as the pac opens up for business and MJO stalls over the western IO.

We have a good chance at getting some decent snow this Friday-Saturday with the first wave but timing is crucial. If the clipper and the S/W phase nicely, a general 10-20cm would be expected across much of Southern Ontario. This storm would be the "appetizer", if the Feb 4th to 8th storm materializes as shown on the models. With a Weak SE ridge in place, a suppressed track is arguable in my opinion. I favor a track just north of the Ohio River Valley with this first wave. 

I'm currently sitting at 80.9cm for the season. Where is the North York Station located btw? North York isnt very far from my house, only a 15-20 minute drive. Pearson's 63.3cm is the lowest amongst all stations in the GTA, lol. No surprise there! haha 

Ya, your probably right. Curious to see how my backyard amounts will compare to YYZ and north york by the end of the season. Plenty of LR potential coming up as the pac opens up for business and MJO stalls over the western IO.

I've been near Steeles and Islington all day today and measured 12cm total on the ground. I don't know what they had before this weekend, but I'm sure they had something, so that would be <10cm that fell over the weekend. I figure Pearson will have similar numbers.

We have a good chance at getting some decent snow this Friday-Saturday with the first wave but timing is crucial. If the clipper and the S/W phase nicely, a general 10-20cm would be expected across much of Southern Ontario. This storm would be the "appetizer", if the Feb 4th to 8th storm materializes as shown on the models. With a Weak SE ridge in place, a suppressed track is arguable in my opinion. I favor a track just north of the Ohio River Valley with this first wave. 

I'm currently sitting at 80.9cm for the season. Where is the North York Station located btw? North York isnt very far from my house, only a 15-20 minute drive. Pearson's 63.3cm is the lowest amongst all stations in the GTA, lol. No surprise there! haha 

Yeah, but the only reason Pearson is lower than downtown is because downtown got smoked with LES on December 14th. Overall, it's tough to blame the nipher for Pearson being the lowest of the 4 main GTA climo stations. This winter at least. 

The first week of February actually looks quite interesting, before another arctic shot the second week, as per the 0z GFS.

Yeah I really like our chances from here to Toronto for synoptic stuff the next few weeks. The pattern goes from extremely progressive to amplified. Which would get rid of this brutal cold, thank goodness!

Yeah I really like our chances from here to Toronto for synoptic stuff the next few weeks. The pattern goes from extremely progressive to amplified. Which would get rid of this brutal cold, thank goodness!

The 0z GFS, along with JB seem to be hinting at one more arctic shot in the 10-15 day period. Likely not as severe as the January ones though.

Seriously, if we can get a snowy February up here, and a Big Dog storm, this winter will be an A+ in my books...well, maybe an A as the ice storm was kind of rough for many people.

Archived