• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Reliability of the Korean Model (KMA?)

This came up in tonights 00z potential Christmas day snow event.

I looked at the KMA a few times last year and I was wondering if anyone knows of any sources (papers, links, etc) with information on the KMA and its reliability?

Alternatively, if someone looks at it consistently I would be interested in hearing your informal opinion as compared to other models.

Link if you've never heard of it:

http://web.kma.go.kr/eng/weather/images/forecastchart.jsp

Global model --> NH Surface view.

USA will be on the top of the map and upside down (find it using Florida or Longitude like I did)

This came up in tonights 00z potential Christmas day snow event.

I looked at the KMA a few times last year and I was wondering if anyone knows of any sources (papers, links, etc) with information on the KMA and its reliability?

The model output from the Korean Met Agency is actually a version of the Unified Model (which is the proper name of the UKMET model) that they started running in 2007. They started using a 4DVAR assimilation scheme (like the ECMWF) earlier this year, and they're planning a resolution increase from the current 40 km to 25 km. The red line on the graph is their 4DVAR-based upgrade...it'll be interesting to see more results from that, especially after the resolution upgrade.

post-35-0-17305800-1292783747.png

The model output from the Korean Met Agency is actually a version of the Unified Model (which is the proper name of the UKMET model) that they started running in 2007. They started using a 4DVAR assimilation scheme (like the ECMWF) earlier this year, and they're planning a resolution increase from the current 40 km to 25 km. The red line on the graph is their 4DVAR-based upgrade...it'll be interesting to see more results from that, especially after the resolution upgrade.

looks like for now it's solidly inferior

Dude, thanks a ton for this!!!! :thumbsup:

looks like for now it's solidly inferior

:lol: it's worse than the JMA

Hard to disgree with Baroclonic Instability.We have enough model guidance; what we need is good forecasting. :arrowhead:

At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to have another "accurate" model out there to increase sample size/confidence. We'll see how the upgrade goes...

BTW, shouldn't we call it the GDAPS since KMA is actually the name of the organization and not the model itself?

:lol: it's worse than the JMA

Hard to disgree with Baroclonic Instability.We have enough model guidance; what we need is good forecasting. :arrowhead:

At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to have another "accurate" model out there to increase sample size/confidence. We'll see how the upgrade goes...

BTW, shouldn't we call it the GDAPS since KMA is actually the name of the organization and not the model itself?

Looks like the new one is the "Um" model? ^_^:;;

That's pretty good..XD

Sorry just seemed funny at the time..

We do the same thing with the ECMWF and UKMET:

ECMWF model = Integrated Forecast System (IFS)

UKMET= Unified Model (UM)

GDAPS is their old version; KMA would also now be called the Unified Model.

Archived