• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
4th Longest Stretch of Continuous Snow Cover Before Christmas in NW Philly Burbs in 65 years

ChescoWx

The snow cover (greater than 1") which finally melted away yesterday was on the ground for 14 consecutive days....this marks the 4th greatest such streak before Christmas Day in Chester County PA since 1948. Below are the all-time greatest stretches of consecutive snow cover of greater than 1" of snow on the ground before Christmas Day. These kind of stats always bother my Dad who is one of the dwindling few that still believe in Global Warming or...Climate Change or whatever they are calling it now. He swears snow never melted when he was a kid. Below are the stats

1989 - 18 days

1995 - 17 days

1960 - 15 days

2013 - 14 days

1963 - 14 days

The snow cover (greater than 1") which finally melted away yesterday was on the ground for 14 consecutive days....this marks the 4th greatest such streak before Christmas Day in Chester County PA East Nantmeal since 1948 I've lived here. Below are the all-time greatest stretches of consecutive snow cover of greater than 1" of snow on the ground before Christmas Day. These kind of stats always bother my Dad who is one of the dwindling few that still believe in Global Warming or...Climate Change or whatever they are calling it now. He swears snow never melted when he was a kid. Below are the stats

1989 - 18 days

1995 - 17 days

1960 - 15 days

2013 - 14 days

1963 - 14 days

Fixed

Would it be nitpicking to suggest that the thread title read something like "4th Longest Stretch of Continuous Snow Cover in NW Philly Burbs in 65 years (Before Christmas)"? My 1st thought seeing the thread title was what about 76-77 (and others)?

Having said that, thanks for the comparisons. Glad we didn't tie 1989, that's the only year that didn't have a pretty good winter to follow, if I recall correctly.

thanks Kamu....good point

quote name="KamuSnow" post="2570185" timestamp="1387762707"]Would it be nitpicking to suggest that the thread title read something like "4th Longest Stretch of Continuous Snow Cover in NW Philly Burbs in 65 years (Before Christmas)"? My 1st thought seeing the thread title was what about 76-77 (and others)?
Having said that, thanks for the comparisons. Glad we didn't tie 1989, that's the only year that didn't have a pretty good winter to follow, if I recall correctly.

Maybe "officially" "uncompatible" but with 110 of the 120 years of data or 92% of the data from within 4 miles of each other - I think it is the best source of such longtime data we have and this topic on snowcover is indeed valid and accurate for this area

Especially since he's using two sites which I've already told him are climatologicaly incompatible.  But that's not important to him, as long as he can argue there's no warming.

Maybe "officially" "uncompatible" but with 110 of the 120 years of data or 92% of the data from within 4 miles of each other - I think it is the best source of such longtime data we have and this topic on snowcover is indeed valid and accurate for this area

That doesn't mean you can compare them.  That's why they are considered "incompatible".  They are "incomparable".  Compared to where the station has been, your house is obviously going to be colder and snowier, with a longer period of snow cover.

Now, if you want to get someone to re-establish a COOP in Coatesville, ideally close to the old location, then maybe we can make comparisons.

I was actually at KMQS (near the coop observer) on Saturday and their snowcover was indeed the same as here....not surprising as same elevation etc. - incompatible....possibly...... incomparable.....I would not go that far - anything can be comparable with caveats not everything is compatible - 2 different concepts

That doesn't mean you can compare them.  That's why they are considered "incompatible".  They are "incomparable".  Compared to where the station has been, your house is obviously going to be colder and snowier, with a longer period of snow cover.

Now, if you want to get someone to re-establish a COOP in Coatesville, ideally close to the old location, then maybe we can make comparisons.

I was actually at KMQS (near the coop observer) on Saturday and their snowcover was indeed the same as here....not surprising as same elevation etc. - incompatible....possibly...... incomparable.....I would not go that far - anything can be comparable with caveats not everything is compatible - 2 different concepts

Then where are your "caveats" in the original post??? 

Also, using data from one location to try and disprove Climate Change reflects very poorly on you.  Just saying.......

Thanks Haz!....trust me I am unconcerned as there is certainly no reflection poor or otherwise on me. I can neither prove nor disprove AGW or global warming or Climate Change or whatever folks are putting out there. My point is by the time any of us figure out if there is or is not "climate change due to humans" you and I will have long vanished from this mortal coil. What is clear is this area is certainly not  becoming Atlanta type climate anytime soon....despite what some climate "experts" were putting out in the early 90's. The snow cover facts I put out are valid for Chester County - if someone has better data feel free to share....can someone show me data that contradicts my data for here in the county??

Regarding the dataset for Chester County I put a lot of personal effort into this set of records (long story and a lot of manual conversion from the handwritten records that were not available in one source for the County until I converted in the late 90's.....but I do stand by that it is by far the best representation of data for the County that we have. It is not perfect  but no data set is (I will take 92% of 120 years of data from within 4 miles as not too shabby!) If someone has better data over 120 years for Chesco.....please share

Thanks!
Paul

Then where are your "caveats" in the original post??? 

Also, using data from one location to try and disprove Climate Change reflects very poorly on you.  Just saying.......

Archived