per Howiee

Temperatures-

Dec:-0.5 to +0.5

Jan:+1

Feb:+1

Overall +0.5 to +1.0

Snowfall for DCA: 10-15"

Analog years 1947,51,59,60

So-nowhere near the blowtorch call that proved so right last winter. Believes DCA will not have a snow event exceeding 4".

So to clarify-- is the analog year the first or second half-- EG 47-48 or 46-47??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't this fairly standard?...for height and SST anomalies to have a symbiotic relationship and feed off each other?

Indeed it is and it's resembling 2011, 2008 and 1999 strongly (just the N pac-Atlantic coupling). That's an ugly sign for winter fans but not entirely hopeless.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bump this back up to run alongside CWG outlook.

I still like Keith's outlook..and that he didn't stick his neck out....last year he went for a home run and mostly nailed it...I think his outlook this year conveys the extreme uncertainty and I think using restraint was a good way to go.....it is still early, but I like his December call as of now given the potentially cold start.....I stuck my neck out this year on temps, and I think it might have been a bad winter to do that, even though I may verify....

I still like Keith's outlook..and that he didn't stick his neck out....last year he went for a home run and mostly nailed it...I think his outlook this year conveys the extreme uncertainty and I think using restraint was a good way to go.....it is still early, but I like his December call as of now given the potentially cold start.....I stuck my neck out this year on temps, and I think it might have been a bad winter to do that, even though I may verify....

He and I are close on Dec, he went -0.5 to +0.5 and I went 0 to -1. it's Jan where we really diverge as I went -3 to -5 but added that I had some misgivings that Dec could be the really cold one although I though Jan was the more likely very cold candidate.

He and I are close on Dec, he went -0.5 to +0.5 and I went 0 to -1. it's Jan where we really diverge as I went -3 to -5 but added that I had some misgivings that Dec could be the really cold one although I though Jan was the more likely very cold candidate.

Can I see your forecast?

Can I see your forecast?

It's somewhere here or over at uswxforums.com but I cant remember where.

I went 0 to -1 for Dec., -3 to -5 for Jan and 0 to +2 for Feb, -1 to -1.5 overall. 10-15" snowfall at DCA.

I added that I felt strongly about Feb temps but that Dec and not Jan might be the very cold month but felt Jan was more likely very cold one.

I went 0 to -1 for Dec., -3 to -5 for Jan and 0 to +2 for Feb, -1 to -1.5 overall. 10-15" snowfall at DCA.

I added that I felt strongly about Feb temps but that Dec and not Jan might be the very cold month but felt Jan was more likely very cold one.

Balls out call for Jan.. I give you props Howie

• 4 weeks later...

I went 0 to -1 for Dec., -3 to -5 for Jan and 0 to +2 for Feb, -1 to -1.5 overall. 10-15" snowfall at DCA.

This could end up being a really good call for December. Around -0.7 today after today for the month. We will warm later this week but not sure after that.

• 2 months later...

per Howiee

Temperatures-

Dec:-0.5 to +0.5

Jan:+1

Feb:+1

Overall +0.5 to +1.0

Snowfall for DCA: 10-15"

Analog years 1947,51,59,60

So-nowhere near the blowtorch call that proved so right last winter. Believes DCA will not have a snow event exceeding 4".

Monthlies: C-/D+, Overall temp: B-, Snow: TBD, but B-

Overall grade: C/C+.....He's had better and worse, though this isn't one of his better....mediocre...much better than mine

Archived