SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2013-2014

Rainshadow

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to look more into the potential; but, there is chance for a west-based -NAO to develop in December. I'm not sure yet on the details. If we take that potential away, we generally are dealing with a neutral AO (epo-related) / RNA style in December, dropping the cold mostly into the western states. But, should we see this "bubble" form near Greenland/D.S., it could skew the temperatures in a 1961-fashion or something.

Despite the recent solar activity, +QBO and model predictions for strengthening polar vortex, their effects may be more felt in November. If certain things can occur then, it is possible we get a "NAO burp." I'll know more after I look into things...

I'm going to look more into the potential; but, there is chance for a west-based -NAO to develop in December. I'm not sure yet on the details. If we take that potential away, we generally are dealing with a neutral AO (epo-related) / RNA style in December, dropping the cold mostly into the western states. But, should we see this "bubble" form near Greenland/D.S., it could skew the temperatures in a 1961-fashion or something.

Despite the recent solar activity, +QBO and model predictions for strengthening polar vortex, their effects may be more felt in November. If certain things can occur then, it is possible we get a "NAO burp." I'll know more after I look into things...

This will also determine how I want to handle the potential for a storm 12/21-22 across the eastern US. :)

Originally, I was thinking Midwest/Great Lakes snowstorm and we get a nasty mix or something. But if this bubble can occur...well, not so clear lol

This will also determine how I want to handle the potential for a storm 12/21-22 across the eastern US. :)

Originally, I was thinking Midwest/Great Lakes snowstorm and we get a nasty mix or something. But if this bubble can occur...well, not so clear lol

Based on past performance since 1950, that would nearly guarantee another one later in the winter.

What do you look at to determine that there may a west based -nao developing? 

What do you look at to determine that there may a west based -nao developing? 

Well what's interesting to me is the warming at 30mb and 50mb over NE Asia. I don't know if this is a response from the TC forcing the Aleutian low or something else, but it seems like ensembles also try to developing Aleutian/Bering Sea ridging way out around day 14 or so. On the other hand, most model forecasts seem to kill any warming so not sure what to think. If the analysis is right, I don't see how the warming will just get killed like the models show.

Due to latent heat release I suppose from the aforementioned cause?

Latent heat release forces a Rossby wave train that reinforces the Aleutian Low, which causes the wave-1 response in the stratosphere, which tilts with height, causing the warming in the middle/upper stratosphere over Siberia.

Well what's interesting to me is the warming at 30mb and 50mb over NE Asia. I don't know if this is a response from the TC forcing the Aleutian low or something else, but it seems like ensembles also try to developing Aleutian/Bering Sea ridging way out around day 14 or so. On the other hand, most model forecasts seem to kill any warming so not sure what to think. If the analysis is right, I don't see how the warming will just get killed like the models show.

That's exactly what it is

Its going ot be interesting to see how that plays out. The mjo forcing is going to want to turn the east warmer, so it will be a battle.

Scott, is this the area at 30mb that you are talking about the warming?

going from this 

ecmwf30a12.gif

to this

ecmwf30f192_zps86c02de8.gif

HM

You often mention solar activity in your overall analysis of earthly weather patterns and i think associate it with the polar vortex. Do you have any thoughts on how the approaching solar maximum will affect this winter? Recently there have been some pretty violent X1.7 and X2 flares.

All hail the negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation! Woohoo we're getting some snow this year!!! WOOOOOOO!!!! 

At least that's what this Bloomberg News article imply's

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-24/if-new-york-freezes-in-january-blame-siberian-snow-now.html

this is what happened in 1959 desite a plus AO NAO at the time...In 1959 NYC had snowstorm on 12/21-22...It was on the ground for Christmas...After that the winter was benign until March...1961 is another neutral negative enso analog with a snowstorm just before Christmas but the AO NAO were quite negative at the time...

Eurasian snow cover and Philadelphia since 1967.

When its above average for October, 12 of the 22 ensuing winters were colder than the current normal, when its less than average, 10 of the 23 ensuing winters have been colder than the current normal.

When its above average for October, 11 of the 23 ensuing winters were snowier than the current normal, when its less than average, 4 of the 22 ensuing winters were snowier than the current normal. 

(TU Adam).  Snowfall is a gamma distribution, only 15 of the 45 past winters have been snowier than the current normal. Granted there are more than a couple in the 17-22" range.

The temperature correlation for PHL is a weak leaner, the snowfall is more encouraging (although it failed last winter along the Delaware Valley) given we are going from 33% to about 50%.

I just reprinted the Rutgers web site info and it looks as though some reassessment has been done as the values I wrote from two years ago are not the same. I'll go over them again the next couple of days and see if above changes. Eyeballing their lastest monthly graph, i don't think its going to move  the needle much.

Eurasian snow cover and Philadelphia since 1967.

When its above average for October, 12 of the 22 ensuing winters were colder than the current normal, when its less than average, 10 of the 23 ensuing winters have been colder than the current normal.

When its above average for October, 11 of the 23 ensuing winters were snowier than the current normal, when its less than average, 4 of the 22 ensuing winters were snowier than the current normal. 

(TU Adam).  Snowfall is a gamma distribution, only 15 of the 45 past winters have been snowier than the current normal. Granted there are more than a couple in the 17-22" range.

The temperature correlation for PHL is a weak leaner, the snowfall is more encouraging given we are going from 33% to about 50%.

I just reprinted the Rutgers web site info and it looks as though some reassessment has been done as the values I wrote from two years ago are not the same. I'll go over them again the next couple of days and see if above changes. Eyeballing their latest monthly graph, i don't think its going to move  the needle much.

It looks like the coverage the past several years was reaccessed higher. It did not change categories I posted above for this upcoming winter.

Neutral negative enso Decembers...five warm and eight cold...each neutral negative December had a monthly negative AO index...1996 had a negative nao but still had a mild December...2012 had a slightly positive nao but the negative pna probably was the driving force for those warm Decembers...1959 was the only warm December with a plus pna...But it did have the biggest snowstorm for the warm Decembers...
year.....ave temp.....AO.....NAO.....PNA
1959.....38.4..........-0.043...+0.44...+0.66
1960.....30.9..........-0.343...+0.06...+1.46
1961.....35.5..........-1.668....-1.48....-1.24
1962.....31.5..........-0.711....-1.32....-0.08
1966.....35.7..........-1.401...+0.72...+0.09
1967.....38.2..........-0.347....-0.45....-0.82
1978.....38.9..........-0.980....-1.57....-0.72
1980.....32.5..........-0.057...+0.78....-0.27
1981.....36.5..........-1.216....-0.02....-0.12
1985.....34.2..........-1.948...+0.22...+1.39
1989.....25.9..........-0.644....-1.15...+0.87