• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
New England Weather Memories

HalloweenGale

We all have particular memories of past weather events in New England. What are some of your favorite wx memories from New England?

Here are some of mine:

Winter

Winter of '95/'96: This is the first winter I really remember from start to finish. Back to back to back events. It made this wx lover giddy with delight. This leads to a sub memory.

Weekend of the Blizzard of '96: I remember this weekend like it was yesterday. On the 4th of January the second "forgotten" storm departed (This was the 2-4 January event.) We got our snow on the back end. In all, we received 4 inches. The next day was a Friday, and we had a very powerful cold front plow through. My mother and I went to a friends house that night and the winds shook the house. I still remember the full moon going behind the stable air cumulus clouds and coming out again. Saturday was brutally cold. Again, my mother and I went to a friends house that night. Her boyfriend picked us up. We were listening to WPXC 102.9 (Pixy 103) and the DJ was going apes*** over the fact that there was a HUGE storm coming. All that night, the talk at the dinner table was the impending storm. There were a couple of snow weenies among us that night. We had pot roast btw. Sunday, my mother and I went to Finast (Remember them?) and then went home. The snow started at about 2:30 and I still remember how innocent it looked. It stayed that way until dark, then the winds kicked in.

Summer

The severe outbreak of Jun. 30-Jul. 1, 2001: My father and I went to New Bedford that weekend to see his girlfriend (currently his second wife.) It was brutally hot. Saturday was hotter, but the hottest day was Sunday. We were on the way back to Nantucket when we were overtaken by the squall line.

Severe outbreak of June 22nd, 1997: Grandparents and I were on the way back from Sturbridge. At about 6 that night, we had a few thunder boomers.

Thunderstorm complex that formed TD 2 in 1992: My mother has pictures of the squall line as it was passing over our house. Eventually it moved out to sea and then headed southward becoming a tropical depression.

...MICROBURST /STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE/ CONFIRMED NEAR

TOLLAND IN TOLLAND COUNTY CT...

LOCATION...TOLLAND IN TOLLAND COUNTY CT

DATE...JULY 10 2013

ESTIMATED TIME...427 PM EDT

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...80 MPH

MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...50 YARDS

PATH LENGTH...1.25 MILES

BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.86N / 72.41W

ENDING LAT/LON...41.85N / 72.42W

* FATALITIES...0

* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON MA HAS CONFIRMED A

MICROBURST /STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE/ NEAR TOLLAND IN TOLLAND

COUNTY CT ON JULY 10 2013.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DOWNED SEVERAL TREES AND LARGE BRANCHES IN

TOLLAND CT. SEVERAL EYEWITNESSES REPORTED SEEING A FUNNEL CLOUD

HOWEVER THE SURVEY TEAM DID NOT FIND ANY EVIDENCE OF A TORNADO

TOUCHDOWN. ALL OF THE DOWNED TREES WERE BLOWN DOWN IN THE SAME

DIRECTION WHICH IS INDICATIVE OF A MICROBURST.

We all have particular memories of past weather events in New England. What are some of your favorite wx memories from New England?

Here are some of mine:

Winter

Winter of '95/'96: This is the first winter I really remember from start to finish. Back to back to back events. It made this wx lover giddy with delight. This leads to a sub memory.

Weekend of the Blizzard of '96: I remember this weekend like it was yesterday. On the 4th of January the second "forgotten" storm departed (This was the 2-4 January event.) We got our snow on the back end. In all, we received 4 inches. The next day was a Friday, and we had a very powerful cold front plow through. My mother and I went to a friends house that night and the winds shook the house. I still remember the full moon going behind the stable air cumulus clouds and coming out again. Saturday was brutally cold. Again, my mother and I went to a friends house that night. Her boyfriend picked us up. We were listening to WPXC 102.9 (Pixy 103) and the DJ was going apes*** over the fact that there was a HUGE storm coming. All that night, the talk at the dinner table was the impending storm. There were a couple of snow weenies among us that night. We had pot roast btw. Sunday, my mother and I went to Finast (Remember them?) and then went home. The snow started at about 2:30 and I still remember how innocent it looked. It stayed that way until dark, then the winds kicked in.

Summer

The severe outbreak of Jun. 30-Jul. 1, 2001: My father and I went to New Bedford that weekend to see his girlfriend (currently his second wife.) It was brutally hot. Saturday was hotter, but the hottest day was Sunday. We were on the way back to Nantucket when we were overtaken by the squall line.

Severe outbreak of June 22nd, 1997: Grandparents and I were on the way back from Sturbridge. At about 6 that night, we had a few thunder boomers.

Thunderstorm complex that formed TD 2 in 1992: My mother has pictures of the squall line as it was passing over our house. Eventually it moved out to sea and then headed southward becoming a tropical depression.

How much snow did you get in the blizzard of 96? were you on nantucket then?

How much snow did you get in the blizzard of 96? were you on nantucket then?

I was on Nantucket. The airport measured 13 inches. My grandmother recorded 15 inches in an open area of her yard. It snowed from 2:30 PM on Sunday the 7th to just a little after midnight on the 9th. Of course I also remember the clipper on the 10th. The sunset that night on the 10th was amazing, although I don't think it was sunset. I just remember the sun shining brightly through a gap in the stratus, kind of like the scene in The Perfect Storm when the Andrea Gail enters the "lull". That winter seemed to have storms that occurred on Full Moon dates (although the Blizzard of '96 didn't directly occur on the full moon, but was two days after it. The February 2-4th storm did however, occur on a full moon date.

Archived