• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 Hudson Valley Summer Thread

I assume you found this at your home? 

Thought I would start a new thread since the warm season is upon us. Looks favorable for some strong storms today favoring the western and northern areas.

Came upon my first 17 year Cicada sighting today.

attachicon.gifIMAG0016.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone besides Xram seen a Cicada? Nothing by me. 

There are a bunch around the house now. Less than a 1/4 of a mile away in the woods they are deafening! I can hear them with the house closed up tight. They go silent towards evening and restart at dawn.

I saw just one in my yard, thats it and I'm thankful for that!  We took a drive yesterday, we had the radio blasting and the windows down as we cruised around northern Orange and southern Ulster and there was no doubt when we drove into the areas with large cicada populations.  It was so loud, even with the radio playing and breeze blowing through the windows, it was creepy in spots actually.  I'm thankful I don't live in any of those areas!   

T-Storm tonight was one of the worst I've been through. I was on RT 32 driving from Cornwall into Highland Mills when I experienced about 3" of rain in less than 45 min, hail the size of ping pong balls and flooding that was surreal. Cars were getting pushed off the road by torrents of water and rocks gushing out of the woods. Side streets were rivers filled with trash and debris including someones shed that I ran over. CG lightning was frequent and intense. All I can say is WOW!

Hi guys! I love the part of the country you call home. I'm visiting Oneida Lake, (South Bay/Canastota) area from 7/3-7/9. I'm pulling for cooler than normal weather. Does anyone have some insight on where you think the area ends up that week? I've been model watching and scorching looks very unlikely. I am a bit concerned it will be unsettled and stormy with the trof progged to be in place. I guess my hope is the trof sets up a bit farther east bringing cool and dry conditions.

Any insight as to what's on the horizon at week would be appreciated.

T-Storm tonight was one of the worst I've been through. I was on RT 32 driving from Cornwall into Highland Mills when I experienced about 3" of rain in less than 45 min, hail the size of ping pong balls and flooding that was surreal. Cars were getting pushed off the road by torrents of water and rocks gushing out of the woods. Side streets were rivers filled with trash and debris including someones shed that I ran over. CG lightning was frequent and intense. All I can say is WOW!

Wow indeed! Did you experience any wind? The training cells pasted just south of me in Goshen but we experienced non stop thunder and lightning. They were powerful cells that pumped out high wind, hail, continuous lightning and massive rain. By my count over 6000 O and R customers lost power. I read  on FB that there were water rescues! on the thruway around MM 50, water up to the windows..  Just insane. Did you experience any property damage? Hope all is well.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
833 AM EDT TUE JUN 25 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0627 PM TSTM WND DMG PINE ISLAND 41.30N 74.46W
06/24/2013 ORANGE NY EMERGENCY MNGR

NUMEROUS TREES DOWNED.

0640 PM TSTM WND DMG WARWICK 41.26N 74.36W

NUMEROUS TREES DOWNED.

0644 PM TSTM WND DMG WARWICK 41.26N 74.36W
06/24/2013 ORANGE NY SKYWARN SPOTTER

POWER OUTAGES REPORTED.

0647 PM TSTM WND DMG KIRYAS JOEL 41.34N 74.17W
06/24/2013 ORANGE NY PUBLIC

TREE DOWN ON ACRES ROAD.

0712 PM TSTM WND DMG WOODBURY 41.36N 74.11W

NUMEROUS TREES DOWNED.

0712 PM TSTM WND DMG LAKE CARMEL 41.46N 73.67W
06/24/2013 PUTNAM NY PUBLIC

POWER OUTAGES REPORTED.

0712 PM LIGHTNING HIGHLAND FALLS 41.37N 73.97W
06/24/2013 ORANGE NY BROADCAST MEDIA

LIGHTNING STRUCK A HOUSE IN FORT MONTGOMERY CAUSING A
FIRE AND ROOF COLLAPSE. TIME ESTIMATED FROM RADAR.

0716 PM TSTM WND DMG 1 W PATTERSON 41.51N 73.62W
06/24/2013 PUTNAM NY DEPT OF HIGHWAYS

SOUTHBOUND LANE OF NY 292 BLOCKED AT PATTERSON VILLAGE
COURT DUE TO FALLEN TREE. TIME ESTIMATED FROM RADAR.

0745 PM FLASH FLOOD WOODBURY 41.36N 74.11W

WATER RESCUES ON INTERSTATE 87 NEAR MILE MARKER 49.7

I did not experience the heavy wind as I drove into the line from the northas the leading edge had already gone East. the real damage was North of Route 17and even though I got a good soaking at my house it was nothing like the armageddon that I drove through from Cornwall to Kiryas Joel.

Wow indeed! Did you experience any wind? The training cells pasted just south of me in Goshen but we experienced non stop thunder and lightning. They were powerful cells that pumped out high wind, hail, continuous lightning and massive rain. By my count over 6000 O and R customers lost power. I read on FB that there were water rescues! on the thruway around MM 50, water up to the windows.. Just insane. Did you experience any property damage? Hope all is well.

Hi guys! I love the part of the country you call home. I'm visiting Oneida Lake, (South Bay/Canastota) area from 7/3-7/9. I'm pulling for cooler than normal weather. Does anyone have some insight on where you think the area ends up that week? I've been model watching and scorching looks very unlikely. I am a bit concerned it will be unsettled and stormy with the trof progged to be in place. I guess my hope is the trof sets up a bit farther east bringing cool and dry conditions.

Any insight as to what's on the horizon at week would be appreciated.

Hi  Georgia welcome to NYS. Oneida Lake is out of our region, try posting in the Upstate/north County thread in this section.

Maybrook fired off their fireworks last night right in the middle of the downpours that moved through. I was eating in the Mainline Diner on 208 and got to see it by accident as we didn't realize they were scheduled for last night. Lets just say that the glow of the exploding shells didn't last all that long, LOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A strong thunderstorm moved through the Hudson Valley toward the Berkshires late this afternoon. Were there any reports of hail around Nassau? Radar appeared to be indicating a decent hail core. All I observed was gusty winds and some pretty frequent and vivid cloud-ground lightning.

Either way, there are a few photos and images from the area today...

Mammatus clouds near Niverville:
post-533-0-93874300-1377998622_thumb.jpg

Lightning strike near Nassau:
post-533-0-12469700-1377998648_thumb.png

Radar-indicated hail as the storm reached peak intensity:
post-533-0-96085800-1377998680_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived