amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late February/Early March Medium and Long Range Discussion Thread

Dsnowx53

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 144 there is a lot of precip with 850's below zero although BL would be crap with 32 degree line up to southern ulster cty and over NE pa. But at the minimum and wet snow bomb for some of the burbs. If this trended south east an additional 100 miles we'd be more than in business over jere

If this scenario were to verify, I don't think the boundary layer would be a problem with that intensity of precipitation.  Of course, this may not happen at all, but with that 500mb low undercutting the storm, this has potential for sure.

12z Euro is a very heavy and very wet front end thump. 850 freezing line never really makes it further north than I-80 before crashing towards the coast. Surface is warm but massive hit at 144hrs for everyone.

Yes, you can see that all upper levels are very cold, even though surface temps are warm, that is most likely snow at 144 hrs.  At least some heavy snow at the end anyway.

By comparing 00z vs 12z you can see what happened. The s/w over the NW came in much stronger for 12z which is good for 2 reasons...it forces the initial threat further south and east (hence the possibility we see some snow) and 2nd it sets the stage for our next threat. The problem will be with that ULL overhead nothing will be able to turn the corner. So we may have to bank on feb 26-27th pulling a miracle close to what the euro shows (se maybe 50-100 miles)

The dynamics would be incredible with the 26th threat. Huge closed off H5 low to our south with insane amounts of positive vorticity advection. 

I still don't love the "block" for that setup, as the positive heights to the north do just seem to be a ridge. However, it's not an awful look as that ULL to the northeast does a lot of the work. 

I'm intrigued but still very cautious, obviously. 

Archived