e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
1/24 to 1/26 threat...

NaoPos

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still do not like the location of the 850mb low, it worries me that the surface might eventually trend farther north...but hey, if the GFS verified I'd take it and be happy with winter. 

the 850 and 925 low are both worrisome on that gfs run. I would def think mixing would come into se pa with the track of those lows to the north. But its 4 days out, it will continue to evolve.

I still do not like the location of the 850mb low, it worries me that the surface might eventually trend farther north...but hey, if the GFS verified I'd take it and be happy with winter. 

Normally we would change over with a track like that. The very cold air before the storm saves us.

the 850 and 925 low are both worrisome on that gfs run. I would def think mixing would come into se pa with the track of those lows to the north. But its 4 days out, it will continue to evolve.

would be thrilled with a 50 mile shift south...if that happens, almost everyone wins.

I'm not thrilled being one of the "almost everyone" group. PA above I-78 would be on the light side.

I'm not saying this will happen with the next storm. But look at what areas did tonight. .05 qpf lead to 1-2 inch snows. The airmass on friday should be colder assuming the low tracks south and .25 qpf could turn into 4-5 inches of snow.

I'm not saying this will happen with the next storm. But look at what areas did tonight. .05 qpf lead to 1-2 inch snows. The airmass on friday should be colder assuming the low tracks south and .25 qpf could turn into 4-5 inches of snow.

I went through this in the NYC thread... but the atmospheric profile will be significantly different on Friday, depending on what model you are looking at.  Here's the sounding for today's event... notice its down near -20 at 700... while also, here's Friday's prog from the 18Z GFS... with a 700 temp above -10.  That will significantly affect snow:water ratios.  Might still get some 12:1 or 13:1 ratios, but the 20-35:1 ratios from today are highly unlikely if the sounding verifies.  Of course, we still have a dozen or so model runs for things to change ;)

post-39-0-41487400-1358826046_thumb.gif

post-39-0-64877600-1358826044_thumb.gif

Yeah, I know. was attempting light humor. I had several plowables here so I hope more south of me finally get into it.

I went through this in the NYC thread... but the atmospheric profile will be significantly different on Friday, depending on what model you are looking at.  Here's the sounding for today's event... notice its down near -20 at 700... while also, here's Friday's prog from the 18Z GFS... with a 700 temp above -10.  That will significantly affect snow:water ratios.  Might still get some 12:1 or 13:1 ratios, but the 20-35:1 ratios from today are highly unlikely if the sounding verifies.  Of course, we still have a dozen or so model runs for things to change ;)

attachicon.gif130122033814.gif

attachicon.gif130122033741.gif

good post Ray, thanks for the explanation. Should still do better than 10:1 and also, the gfs is the warmest i believe. Do you have soundings for the euro? I would think that 700mb temp would be colder since overall its a colder storm. The euros 850s are heck of a lot colder than the gfs, granted i know that means nothing in snow growth, but the thicknesses in general on the euro were colder.

Also to note on ray's post is the total totalts #. 47 tonight compared to 16 on friday. Tonights squall had some convecte elements today as HM was alluding to earlier this week (good call fella). So that too will impact ratios.

good post Ray, thanks for the explanation. Should still do better than 10:1 and also, the gfs is the warmest i believe. Do you have soundings for the euro? I would think that 700mb temp would be colder since overall its a colder storm. The euros 850s are heck of a lot colder than the gfs, granted i know that means nothing in snow growth, but the thicknesses in general on the euro were colder.

Yes, the latest EC was colder, -15 or -16 at 700 at ABE and -12 or -13 at 700 at PHL... so you'd get better ratios with that.  Don't have access to soundings (SV maybe?)

Archived