• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012/13 Florida dry season

icebreaker5221

With no precipitation occurring anywhere in the state, an RH of only 29% at this hour in Orlando, and a very dry 7-day forecast, I think it's safe to say that the dry season has begun. Let the riveting discussion begin! smile.png

Looks like winter's off to a quick start down here (courtesy strong north-westerlies on the backside of Sandy). Only up to 72 so far in Miami and may not even reach 73. The record low high for the date is 75, so that record looks to be in the books! cold.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a week of seasonable to perhaps slightly coolish temps and no major weather systems. Perhaps a few streamer showers each day but that's about it.

Let's see what this weekend's system can do. Best chance of seeing anything interesting out of it in the Jacksonville area where there is the potential for some light to moderate rain / wind / large waves, but most likely developing too far north to have any appreciable impacts to FL.

Not sure what, if any true aspects weather geeks like about dry season....so I'll ask: is there really any reason to like the dry season over the wet season?

The weather is perfect now for outdoor activities!!! The heat and humidity is unbearable in the summer, especially for someone like me that has an apartment with old and unreliable window A/C units.

This year was a little better with Isaac, Sandy, and a few decent thunderstorms, but 95% of the time the weather is boring in wet season also. In winter there is more interesting weather across the rest of the country.

I love the wet season myself. All the storms to chase and film. I love the humidity too...much more pleasant on the skin and hair. I hate the dried out feeling. I can see the appeal of the dry season for an outdoor aspect (I'm sure I'll be doing a lot more of that this go around in FL). I remember I came once it was so dry my brothers (who grew up in Miami) took me out to the glades and we walked all over the exposed limestone because the wet season never really happened. I want to say that was 1998 to 2000, can't remember exactly. Certainly wasn't the case either time I lived in Miami (2001 and 2004/5).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow really?

Dunedin from overnight of what may have been graupel and around 4am in Seminole with what may have been flurries.

This certainly wasn't out of the question.  Tampa NWS however has their doubts.

From Tampa NWS:

Hearing of a few reports of snow in the area this morning. Also saw one "snow" video which appeared more likely to be light rain given the fall rates of the precipitation. Morning upper air observations in Tampa show the cloud temperature is -1 C (base) to -5 C (top), however these temps need to be closer to -10 C to get ice crystals in the cloud. Further south there is some indication of a dee...per cloud layers with the top of the cloud reaching the required -10 C (evident on the Miami upper air observation). However, in these areas the above freezing layer is 4000-6000 ft deep making it extremely unlikely any snow would reach the ground. That said, we shall see if any more conclusive pics or video surface.

• 3 weeks later...

I still occasionally check this forum from Miami, although I'm moving soon. Looks like a chance for some thunderstorm activity next Thursday-Friday in South Florida.

Sorry to hear that you're moving, this forum needs to keep as many members as it can!

That late-week threat potentially looks very interesting.  Could be a good setup for a high shear / low CAPE squall line type setup with embedded mesos, especially if the GFS verifies, but still much too far out to get into those details.  CMC and Euro not ~quite~ as impressive.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. :)

I'm excited.  It's been a while.  

BY MID DAY SIGNIFICANT BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING SHOULD ENHANCE THE PROSPECT FOR MORE DISCRETE SUPERCELLS ACROSS CNTRL FL...POSSIBLY AIDED BY LOCAL SEA BREEZES...LATEST FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST CONVECTION THAT DEVELOPS DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS WILL BE ROOTED IN SBCAPE ON THE ORDER OF 1700 J/KG WITH POTENTIALLY STEEP SFC-2KM LAPSE RATES. THIS ACTIVITY COULD PRODUCE HAIL THE SIZE OF GOLF BALLS AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS GIVEN THE EXPECTED INSTABILITY. ISOLATED TORNADOES MAY ALSO BE NOTED WITH ANY SUPERCELLS GIVEN THE MOISTURE/SHEAR PROFILES.

Well that severe threat didn't really amount to anything but we got some nice rain totals out of it.  There's a rain mass over South Florida right now and i'm sure it's helping to douse many of the brush fires in the area.  I'll soak it in now because it looks like chamber of commerce weather through the 7 day.

Well that severe threat didn't really amount to anything but we got some nice rain totals out of it.  There's a rain mass over South Florida right now and i'm sure it's helping to douse many of the brush fires in the area.  I'll soak it in now because it looks like chamber of commerce weather through the 7 day.

Yeah, the severe aspect completely underperformed, but the rain overperformed.  The lightning was pretty good too if you were awake (or awoken) last night from 3-4 am.

Yeah, the severe aspect completely underperformed, but the rain overperformed.  The lightning was pretty good too if you were awake (or awoken) last night from 3-4 am.

I was by my cat running atop me with his claws out when a bolt hit across the street. :axe:

This radar loop from last night is very impressive.  Kind of sad I slept through most of it though.  http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/radar/kamx/tmp/MiamiRadar_5Apr2013.gif

Archived