• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Gloria: Sept. 27, 1985

Quincy

Connecticut remembers Gloria as the last hurricane to make a direct landfall in the state.

From the information I have seen, the storm was re-classified as a (weak) Category 1 Hurricane at landfall near Milford, CT. The strongest winds in New England were felt across Connecticut. Still, with the storm moving at a pretty good clip (45 MPH from the reports I have seen), strong winds were also felt inland. It looks like Blue Hill had a wind gust to 83 MPH.

I'm sure more will chime in, especially since the anniversary is officially tomorrow. :P

post-533-0-22297200-1348694733_thumb.jpg

I remember the storm well. Only on the fire department for 6 months, my engine company ran for almost 24 hours straight to downed wires, trees across roads and on houses, and numerous flooding incidents. Most of the power restored within 5 days. We did not see another power failure like that until Irene and the October storm of last year. The winter after Gloria gave us a spike in chimney fires. Seemed many people burned the still green wood that had fallen only a few months earlier.

Def remember the smell of fallen trees after it went by and lots of yellowjackets buzzing around

These two things seem to be the most vivid memories of my parents/family. I wasn't born until two years later.

Gloria could have been far worse, but it was moving at a fairly fast clip and from what I've read, it hit near low tide. The heaviest rain was displaced west of CT/LI as well.

I was fifteen & a sophmore in high school. We were living in the Seacoast area of SE NH back then and I certainly remember the media hype leading up to it. I think we may have only recently gotten cable TV too, so tuning into the Weather Channel was a whole new world, lol. I remember it really wasn't too bad of a storm where we were but there were certainly some pretty strong winds and power outages. We lost power for a couple days if I recall correctly and I also remember cooking beans & franks on the woodstove. The other thing that stands out in my mind was the song 'Gloria' being played all over the airwaves. ;)

Archived