• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricanes in Michigan?

wxhstn74

Anniversary of a super windstorm; Hurricanes in Michigan??? Today it would be due to Global Warming...Enjoy.

http://weatherhistor...ichigan_25.html

Sounds a lot like what the remnants of Hurricane Ike did to Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, western Pennsylvania, and western New York, just several hundred miles further to the west. Like the 1941 storm, the winds in the Ohio Valley and lower Great Lakes were not accompanied by rainfall. There was actually a lot of sun and temperatures well into the mid- and upper 80s. There was widespread damage and the largest wind-related power outage in the region, with sustained winds of 50+ mph and gusts to 80 mph.

It might be an interesting exercise to compare the atmospheric set-up for both events. I suspect they would be similar. It would probably help future forecasts for these types of events. Recall Ike was very poorly forecast. Advisories and warnings were not hoisted in many places until after the damaging winds began to occur or were imminent.

Track was a bit different but the 41 storm seems to have behaved similarly to Ike in 2008. Not very often you get these big wind machines so far inland after landfall.

Yes.

I had read about the 1941 storm well before 2008 (when I happened to still be living in SE Michigan), and I thought reading that: "well, that's a once in forever-type event. I can't imagine it ever happening, and I can't imagine what it would be like to experience."

Well, I had moved to Cincinnati by September 2008. Mostly sunny skies, 85 degrees, with wind gusts amazingly also approaching the 85 number. What an event.

• 10 months later...

This storm has recently been reanalyzed by HRD and there were some changes. Here are a few:

-landfall intensity in Texas was increased to Category 3

-post-landfall intensity was increased such that the storm retained tropical storm force winds for its entire track after landfall (though storm character eventually changed from tropical to extratropical)

-track shifted a bit west in IN/MI

Here is a comparison between the old coordinates/intensities and the revised coordinates/intensities, old on the left and new on the right. Notice the substantial increase in winds, which is consistent with reports of widespread high, damaging winds from that day. Winds are maximum sustained in knots.

00z Sep 25: 36.9N, 90.9W, 35 kt ..... 36.0N, 91.1W, 35 kt

06z Sep 25: 39.5N, 88.2W, 35 kt ..... 38.8N, 88.7W, 35 kt

12z Sep 25: 42.2N, 85.5W, 30 kt ..... 42.4N, 85.9W, 40 kt

18z Sep 25: 44.5N, 82.8W, 30 kt ..... 44.9N, 82.6W, 50 kt

The storm intensified a bit more after this with maximum sustained winds of 55 kt at 00z Sep 26 before slowly weakening.

track.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived