• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The start of big snowstorms

Amped

Forecasting snow totals on grassy surfaces has improved greatly over the past several years. However the predictions of when snow will start accumulating on roads (AKA the actual important part of the forecast) could still use some improvement to put it politely. A general 50% chance of snow by 3pm is not usefull in deciding whether school or work needs to be cancelled.

I was wondering if there are any presentations or met writups that address the topics such as thump snows, virga, white rain.

A couple of thump events (oops, enjoy your 3 hr 5 mile trip home)

12/30/2000

4/7/2003

12/6/2003

1/26/2011

10/29/2011

White rain events (Oops cancelled school/work for nothing)

2/5/2010 in Maryland. The first 8" of snow melted as it hit the ground. My 28" would have been 36"

2/25/2010 In Philly

Virga events (Oops cancelled school/work for nothing)

12/19/2009 in the NYC metro.

2/17/2003 NYC metro

12/21/95 NYC metro

• 2 weeks later...

Forecasting snow totals on grassy surfaces has improved greatly over the past several years. However the predictions of when snow will start accumulating on roads (AKA the actual important part of the forecast) could still use some improvement to put it politely. A general 50% chance of snow by 3pm is not usefull in deciding whether school or work needs to be cancelled.

I was wondering if there are any presentations or met writups that address the topics such as thump snows, virga, white rain.

A couple of thump events (oops, enjoy your 3 hr 5 mile trip home)

12/30/2000

4/7/2003

12/6/2003

1/26/2011

10/29/2011

2/5/2010 in Maryland. The first 8" of snow melted as it hit the ground. My 28" would have been 36"

2/25/2010 In Philly

Virga events (Oops cancelled school/work for nothing)

12/19/2009 in the NYC metro.

2/17/2003 NYC metro

12/21/95 NYC metro

Cool topic but I feel like this might be the wrong sub-forum. Anyway, 12/19/09 was definitely a memorable virga event. I remember one of the meteorologist's on a local AM station here kept coming on the radio talking about how it would be starting soon and it might be snowing if you're up on a hill :lol:

You did not have 8 inches melt on 2/5.10

So call it 3" if you want. The main point was that the roads weren't a problem until 8hrs after the snow started. The forcast called for snow developing 1-3" by early evening.

Do you let out of work early? Tough call. You would have been fine until 7 or 8pm.

2/25/2010 In Philly

While its probably true that there wasn't much accumulation on the roads in Philly during this event, there was a signficant lack of actual precipitation which probably caused that "fail". Less than half an inch of liquid fell during that whole two-day event. I remember some guidance was predicting an inch or more.

While its probably true that there wasn't much accumulation on the roads in Philly during this event, there was a signficant lack of actual precipitation which probably caused that "fail". Less than half an inch of liquid fell during that whole two-day event. I remember some guidance was predicting an inch or more.

Yes the long duration light snow event struck. One of my least favorites. If its above 30F with February the sun can take care of those 1/4" inch per hour snowfall rates all day.

• 2 weeks later...

So call it 3" if you want. The main point was that the roads weren't a problem until 8hrs after the snow started. The forcast called for snow developing 1-3" by early evening.

Do you let out of work early? Tough call. You would have been fine until 7 or 8pm.

Huge difference between 3 and 8-- just saying.

I tend to ere on the side of caution and let people out.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This:

that storm was awesome! don't remember too much as I was only 10 at the time. part of the reason why I want another 96' redux so I can experience that kind of storm again

anyway, biggest thump of all time was 12/25/02- forecast to get 1-3" after changeover, got 14" in 6 hours in the heaviest snow and also thunder I experienced in my life thus far.

biggest bust- probably for ALOT of people on this board excecpt NE, march 2001- forecast 24 hrs. before event 24-30" only ended up with 8"

Archived