• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Quake Swarm in SoCal

Southern California has been having a quake swarm recently-- and a few of them have been very close to home! :D

A 3.2 occurred in Beverly Hills late Sunday night, about 1 mi SSW of my house. I was in the Desert over the weekend and missed that one-- but just a few minutes ago, a 3.5 occurred in Beverly Hills, about 1 mi SW of my house. It was close enough that it felt quite sharp-- enough to get me up out of my chair and hurrying for a doorjamb.

A 3.5 in itself is no big deal-- whatever-- but it's a small reminder that we're eventually going to get another big, violent one like we had in 1994, when L.A. was smashed by the great Northridge Earthquake. The fact that we're getting so many recently raises concerns that these are foreshocks to a significant event.

Summer 1992, living in apts near the old Mesa Marin NASCAR track in BFL, woken up by the Joshua Tree earthquake. Not violent at all, long, slow swaying. After another quake that morning, Lucille Jones was on the LA local news saying the 2 quakes were two legs of a triangle and San Andreas would be third leg, predicted something like a 40% chance of a major on the S.A w/i 72 hours.

Never happened.

Lucy Jones, the JB of the seismology/geology community.

Southern California has been having a quake swarm recently-- and a few of them have been very close to home! :D

A 3.2 occurred in Beverly Hills late Sunday night, about 1 mi SSW of my house. I was in the Desert over the weekend and missed that one-- but just a few minutes ago, a 3.5 occurred in Beverly Hills, about 1 mi SW of my house. It was close enough that it felt quite sharp-- enough to get me up out of my chair and hurrying for a doorjamb.

A 3.5 in itself is no big deal-- whatever-- but it's a small reminder that we're eventually going to get another big, violent one like we had in 1994, when L.A. was smashed by the great Northridge Earthquake. The fact that we're getting so many recently raises concerns that these are foreshocks to a significant event.

You're killing me, Josh! Flying all night and driving god knows where to places mere feet above sea level just to place yourself in the middle of a 110 knot eyewall, well that takes serious serious brass. But then you go and dive for the doorjamb over a measly little 3.5. You've set my world a kilter, and I don't know how to continue my day. This reminds me a bit of Syndrome talking to Mr. Incredible:

Syndrome
: You, sir, truly are Mr. Incredible. You know, I was right to idolize you? I always knew you were tough, but tricking the probe by hiding under the bones of another super? Oh, MAN! I'm still geeking out about it!

[
sigh
]

Syndrome
: And then you just had to go and ruin the ride. I mean, Mr. Incredible calling for help?

[
Mocking voice
]

Syndrome
: Help me! Help me! Lame, lame, lame, lame, *lame*!

All kidding aside, I know all too well how earthquake swarms bring out fears of another big quake. It's been almost 20 years since the last large quake (Northridge) hit the Los Angeles area, and it makes one think the area is ripe for another. I lived through Northridge (about 13 miles from the epicenter), and that was the scariest 30 seconds of my life. I kid you about diving for the door, but the first jolt isn't always telling of the entire event, so moving to the door just may end up saving your life if the earthquake turns out to be something damaging.

Archived