• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GR2analyst

blizzardof09

just downloaded my trial of the gr2analyst. i got the grlevel3 ver.2 already and love it. the gr2 analyst though is incredible in the fact it can give you a 3-D view of a storm. im still trying to learn a few thing about it but from what i see its worth the investment in buying the license for it. any opinions as what kind of advantages id have with the analyst over the grlevel3? thanks in advance guys

• 4 weeks later...

GrLevel2ae IMO is better than GR3 if you have a subscription to allison house or something of that sort. The volume tables are great, and there's tons to download if you don't feel like making your own for 3D mode.

Grlvl2ae currently doesn't have the same storm window deal as gr3 v2 or even the satellite aerials (unless you want to pay someone to make you a good bg map for your area).

Since you have both, you probably already know the above but I will say.. Level2 data is huge compared to Level3. So if you're storm chasing, use GRlevel3 and if you're using a broadband connection at home I'd opt for Level2ae.

EDIT: http://support.allisonhouse.com/entries/321124-what-s-the-difference-between-level-3-level-2-and-level-2-high-res-radar-data will in a short story tell you the differences between the different radar formats.

just downloaded my trial of the gr2analyst. i got the grlevel3 ver.2 already and love it. the gr2 analyst though is incredible in the fact it can give you a 3-D view of a storm. im still trying to learn a few thing about it but from what i see its worth the investment in buying the license for it. any opinions as what kind of advantages id have with the analyst over the grlevel3? thanks in advance guys

I didn't see when it first got posted but GR2AE is for those who do research, really like armchair chasing, or are meteorologists doing for profit type things, or if you own a blog and want to increase that "wow" factor.

Besides that GR3v2 is your choice, it offers more products like rainfall and vertical wind profiling (VWP) and with GR3v2 you now get the dual-pol products including the precip type (HCA) product. It's also much more user friendly. Oh and TDWR's!

I have both and I likely spend more time on GR3v2 than GR2AE. GR3v2 is plenty to tackle by itself and unless your just really dying to shell out 250 bucks to have a thunderstorm in 3D, then just go for the GR3v2.

my 2 cents

I didn't see when it first got posted but GR2AE is for those who do research, really like armchair chasing, or are meteorologists doing for profit type things, or if you own a blog and want to increase that "wow" factor.

Besides that GR3v2 is your choice, it offers more products like rainfall and vertical wind profiling (VWP) and with GR3v2 you now get the dual-pol products including the precip type (HCA) product. It's also much more user friendly. Oh and TDWR's!

I have both and I likely spend more time on GR3v2 than GR2AE. GR3v2 is plenty to tackle by itself and unless your just really dying to shell out 250 bucks to have a thunderstorm in 3D, then just go for the GR3v2.

my 2 cents

Price-wise GR Level 3 is the best option, but I prefer AE for winter storms. The finer resolution comes in great for rain/snow lines and frozen precip start / end.

I am wondering if there is a max VIL on GRLevel2AE. On GRLevel3, it is 79.7 kg/m2. I keep wondering if some storms actually have 100 kg/m2.

I have a VIL color table on AE that goes up to 130 kg/m2, but if there has been any storms over that 100 kg/m2 threshold you mentioned on AE, I don't really remember.

EDIT: I do have an old screen capture of a storm last year with VIL up to 111.4 kg/m2 on AE.

Archived