Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July Banter and non-weather discussions

DaculaWeather

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meant to respond to your pm, so check it. But for those wondering, it was fosamax

Hey Lookout, just saw this conversation in this thread......sorry to hear about your mom as well. Also offerering help if you need any information.....

I'm a Pharm.D. and can offer some info and advice about what's going on with Fosamax (assume she's probably doing the generic versions) if you would like. Based on some of the studies that I've seen, most of the controversy involves something called osteonecrosis of the jaw, a situation where taking that class of drug can cause deterioration of bone in the jaw causing tooth loss and other problems. This caused manufacturers to put a warning about this and to make sure you let your dentist know if you're taking any meds in this class so they can be on the lookout (no pun intended!) for any problems on radiographs. From what I understand, Merck (the brand manufacturer) has won 5 out of the 6 lawsuits related to this issue......Kaiser did a study and found the condition occured in only 1/10 of 1% of patients taking it, so not a very high %.

The issue of bone fracturs is a little more muddy. One of the main controversies is in regard to the length of time that a patient is on the drug as well as other medications they're on at the same time that could contribute to the condtion more than the fosamax type med. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain there are no concrete studies that link the two together, it's more "evidence" that may be starting to pop up more the longer patients are on it.

That's kind of a quick overview of some of the main points, but can definitely go more into it if you need anything.

The Night Blooming Cereus went off tonight, so I got a picture for your botanical edification. This bloom is as big as a dinner plate. It only blooms at night, and only for one night. This plant was grown from a cutting given to my grandmother sometime in the early 1920's, to our best knowledge, and it is still going strong. It has carried as many as 8 blooms at one time since it came from Atl. In Atlanta we never had more than one bloom at a time, so it appears to enjoy the more tropical climate down here :) T

cereusjuly28.jpg

Hey Lookout, just saw this conversation in this thread......sorry to hear about your mom as well. Also offerering help if you need any information.....

I'm a Pharm.D. and can offer some info and advice about what's going on with Fosamax (assume she's probably doing the generic versions) if you would like. Based on some of the studies that I've seen, most of the controversy involves something called osteonecrosis of the jaw, a situation where taking that class of drug can cause deterioration of bone in the jaw causing tooth loss and other problems. This caused manufacturers to put a warning about this and to make sure you let your dentist know if you're taking any meds in this class so they can be on the lookout (no pun intended!) for any problems on radiographs. From what I understand, Merck (the brand manufacturer) has won 5 out of the 6 lawsuits related to this issue......Kaiser did a study and found the condition occured in only 1/10 of 1% of patients taking it, so not a very high %.

The issue of bone fracturs is a little more muddy. One of the main controversies is in regard to the length of time that a patient is on the drug as well as other medications they're on at the same time that could contribute to the condtion more than the fosamax type med. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain there are no concrete studies that link the two together, it's more "evidence" that may be starting to pop up more the longer patients are on it.

That's kind of a quick overview of some of the main points, but can definitely go more into it if you need anything.

Sweet! I'm starting Pharmacy School next week...didn't know you were a pharmacist. Not too many people are into pharmacy and weather, so I assume.

The Night Blooming Cereus went off tonight, so I got a picture for your botanical edification. This bloom is as big as a dinner plate. It only blooms at night, and only for one night. This plant was grown from a cutting given to my grandmother sometime in the early 1920's, to our best knowledge, and it is still going strong. It has carried as many as 8 blooms at one time since it came from Atl. In Atlanta we never had more than one bloom at a time, so it appears to enjoy the more tropical climate down here :) T

Great pic! Thanks for sharing. Since it only blooms for one night, I'd hate to be out the night it happened: you'd have to wait a whole year for a chance to see it again. Has that ever happened? Does it give some kind of sign that it will bloom on any particular night?

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

Calc. and Rev. you are both welcome!

Calc..... the plant can have many blooms during the summer, but each bud only blooms the one night. More than once I've missed the blooming, by forgetting to check after dark. Usually, I can tell it is getting close when the stem curls up into a fishhook, and then on the day, the tip of the bud will begin to part just a tad about dusk. This pic was taken about 1am, but the bloom doesn't get fully open until about 4 or 5 am. I've had as many as 10 buds on at one time, but several dropped off early, and then only some bloomed the same night, with the rest going off the next two nights. I've seen pics of plants in Fla. just littered with blooms.

They have a pungent aroma that attracts a splecific species of moth, and this moth is the vector for pollination. I've only seen a moth approach one time, and light on the bloom for a spell, but where it went to pollinate, I don't know :) We've given away a million rootings, so maybe it found one of them :) It is a cool plant. Some of my earliest memories are getting to stay up late to see it bloom. It just amazes me to have a plant that's been in the family near 100 years! Tony

Nice job! Just relax and enjoy it, it's not nearly (IMO of course) as bad as everyone talks about. As long as you don't get behind, you'll be fine. Where you going?

Thanks! Campbell University. It's in a small town of NC called Buies Creek. Definitely a change from living near RDU in Raleigh, but it's a nice quiet area but a lot less distractions. haha.

Sweet! I'm starting Pharmacy School next week...didn't know you were a pharmacist. Not too many people are into pharmacy and weather, so I assume.

You're just an early adaptor. If global warming seriously kicks in, most of the people on this board will be mixing weather and pharmaceuticals.

Archived