HRS. OUTAGE LENGTH IS UNKNOWN..

Topic: *GOES-15 West data outage.

*Date/Time Issued**: *March 22, 2012, 1113 UTC

*Product(s) or Data Impacted: *GOES-15**West Imager and Sounder Data*

**Date/Time of Initial Impact:***March 21, 2012, 2045 UTC**

*Date/Time of Expected End:*Unknown **

*Length of Outage:*TBD

*Update: #4 *The GOES West data outage status has not changed. LRIT

TEXT EMWIN DCS NWS are still red. GOES-15 recovery activities continue and all payloads and services remain off. The estimated return to service for GOES-15 West is undetermined at this time. Engineering continues to run recovery procedures. GOES-13 East is operating in a Full Disk imaging mode while GOES-15 is out of service.

*Update: #3 *The GOES West data outage status has not changed. LRIT

TEXT EMWIN DCS NWS are still red. GOES-15 recovery activities continue and all payloads and services remain off. The estimated return to service for GOES-15 West is undetermined at this time. Engineering continues to run recovery procedures. GOES-13 East is operating in a Full Disk imaging mode while GOES-15 is out of service.

*Update: #2 *The GOES West data outage status has not changed. LRIT

*Update: #1 *The GOES West data outage status has not changed.

Engineers are currently investigating this outage.

*Details/Specifics of Change:* ESPC is currently not receiving GOES-15

West data due to a bad momentum unload. GOES-15 went into a sun

acquisition mode and is unable to do any imaging. Operations personnel

are trying to place GOES-13 into a full disk imaging mode.*

Perfect timing. We're going to have a cut-off low off the coast of California starting late tomorrow night, and I have no vis., water vapor or infrared. Should make forecasting for Northern California fun .

Looks like UofW has started populating some of their western loops with Goes-E images starting with the 14:14 UTC image. Goes out to 135W. Lot's of parallax, for sure, but it's a start. Nothing on IR or WV yet but keep checking back.

http://www.atmos.was...1km_west_full+1

Latest update:

Update: #6 GOES-15 (GOES-West) recovery is underway. The problem has been isolated; however, the estimated return to service will occur no earlier than 1600 UTC on Friday, March 23, 2012. In addition, a comprehensive list of products impacts is provided in this message. Lastly, we are currently experiencing some challenges that are impacting our group e-mail notification distribution. We will return to normal operations as soon as possible, and regret any inconvenience this outage may cause.

Update: #6 GOES-15 (GOES-West) recovery is underway. The problem has been isolated; however, the estimated return to service will occur no earlier than 1600 UTC on Friday, March 23, 2012. Please note: GOES-13 East is operating in a Full Disk imaging mode while GOES-15 is out of service.

Here is a comprehensive list of products impacts.

GOES-15 Imager (Specific Images):

Super National Image (truncated in west)

NO West CONUS Sector Imagery

NO Alaska Regional and National Sector Imagery

NO Hawaii Regional and National Sector Imagery

GOES-15 Sounder Imagery: There is NO sounder data for any GOES-West regions (GOES-15 Sounder Products including DPI, ASOS SCP, vertical profiles and GOES-15 Derived Products)

LRIT: Out on GOES-West; however, users can re-point their antennas to GOES-East (GOES-13) if they can "see" the spacecraft. In addition, depending on vendor for LRIT station, some users can point to MTSAT (Japanese satellite)

EMWIN: Out on GOES-West

DCS: Out on GOES-West; however, we have switched the feed for GOES West to GOES East. Those of users within the footprint of GOES East will most likely get the data. Those users outside the footprint of GOES East, or with an angle that doesn't reach GOES East, will not.

SARSAT: With the INSAT satellite and GOES East we cover most of the area under GOES-W. There is a gap in coverage from 150W to 170E about 40 degrees where there is no GEOSAR detection at this time. This area will only be covered by LEO satellites which will likely increase latency of any alerts that might occur. New Zealand, Fiji, New Caledonia and several other smaller islands are in this region.

GINI Products: GOES-West was switched into a "WEST-LOOK-EAST" mode at 2105Z. This means that the West GINI started using GOES-East data for processing/creating products. There is a gap of data after 2030Z on 3/21/2012 until 2115Z. After that, every half hour using GOES-East data starting at 2115Z.

Super National Blended TPW Sector Imagery (truncated in west)

Low Cloud Base

GOES Sounder DPI

Cloud Top Pressure

Effective Cloud Amount

Lifted Index

Total Precipitable Water

Skin Temperature

Winds

ASOS SCP

Soundings

I was thinking the same thing. I bet we'll see a dip in skill scores across all models, with the magnitude of the dip of course dependent upon how long it takes to get back up.

Here at NCEP we are missing about 10 out of nearly 100 satellite products we ingest...only three deemed "critical" to the models. Might have a minor impact but hard to say.

An uncommanded satellite response-I wonder if it could have been due to a SEU (Single Event Upset) brought on by the Van Allen dumping event of high energy electrons that has been occurring in conjunction with and in the wake of the recent Geomagnetic disturbance. Such dumping episodes in the past have done a number of some Geosats including killing them entirely.

Steve

I'm writing 17 TAFs over the Anchorage CWA with no satellite data! Lovely! Thank goodness the weather is rather quiet over all but the Bering Sea.

Our SOO used to work there and told us of the huge aviation forecasting demands for that area. I don't envy you guys. Have you incorporated aviation grids yet? Also, is a NWS met still doing the daily TV show up there?

Our SOO used to work there and told us of the huge aviation forecasting demands for that area. I don't envy you guys. Have you incorporated aviation grids yet? Also, is a NWS met still doing the daily TV show up there?

The Aviation Weather Unit, which is situated beside the WFO in the same room, has just started incorporating Aviation Weather Grids in the last few months. And, yes, we still run a daily TV show up here. It is the #1 watched program out in the Bush.

The Aviation Weather Unit, which is situated beside the WFO in the same room, has just started incorporating Aviation Weather Grids in the last few months. And, yes, we still run a daily TV show up here. It is the #1 watched program out in the Bush.

Wow, I didn't realize AWC used GFE. I'm pretty sure Kansas City doesn't.

So do you guys get tasked for the show, or is someone appointed the TV focal?

Wow, I didn't realize AWC used GFE. I'm pretty sure Kansas City doesn't.

So do you guys get tasked for the show, or is someone appointed the TV focal?

We just hired a full-time TV Met (I think equivalent to a Lead Forecaster position) from the Lower 48 who does nothing but the TV stuff., and we have an associate TV Met (equivalent to a Journeyman Forecaster). However, any forecaster in our office who is interested in doing the TV program can volunteer for it.

The TV Met on duty for that day draws up the graphics....then drives across town to the local public television station and does the show live from there at 530 in the evening. The show runs in three segments, present weather and public forecast, the marine forecast, and the aviation forecast.

We just hired a full-time TV Met (I think equivalent to a Lead Forecaster position) from the Lower 48 who does nothing but the TV stuff., and we have an associate TV Met (equivalent to a Journeyman Forecaster). However, any forecaster in our office who is interested in doing the TV program can volunteer for it.

The TV Met on duty for that day draws up the graphics....then drives across town to the local public television station and does the show live from there at 530 in the evening. The show runs in three segments, present weather and public forecast, the marine forecast, and the aviation forecast.

Cool info, thanks.

An uncommanded satellite response-I wonder if it could have been due to a SEU (Single Event Upset) brought on by the Van Allen dumping event of high energy electrons that has been occurring in conjunction with and in the wake of the recent Geomagnetic disturbance. Such dumping episodes in the past have done a number of some Geosats including killing them entirely.

Steve

That would be my guess at this juncture. The sensor BUS is well protected but can't stop everything. GOES-R will be an absolute fortress with both passive and active protection. Again, will not stop everything but will further reduce the risks.

I had to learn more about Sun Acquisition Mode and here's what I found.

Safehold: Sun Acquisition Mode

Sun Acquisition Mode (AQM) is the ACE-control mode that puts the spacecraft into a

safe-hold configuration (i.e. a power/thermal-safe attitude). AQM may be either

manually commanded or autonomously commanded by the on-board fault protection

logic. While AQM is designed to place the spacecraft in a safe state without the use of

thrusters, it may also be ground-commanded to use thrusters, as during the solar array

deployment acquisition sequence. The spacecraft can safely remain in AQM for at least 2

days without operator intervention, at which time the spacecraft should be transitioned

into Storage Mode, as described below.

Except for the initial sun acquisition, AQM is invoked when the spacecraft loses stellar

inertial attitude control or detects a situation that might endanger the spacecraft or

spacecraft components. AQM is capable of controlling the spacecraft to attain and hold a

sun-pointing attitude, and furthermore guarantees the safety of the primary imaging

payload for a broad set of initial attitudes and rates. The fault protection design ensures

that no anomaly, including an operator error in combination with a single latent failure,

can cause the spacecraft to acquire a combination of attitude and rate that is unsafe for

the payload. Using the output of the KSSs and ACSS in conjunction with control

provided by the reaction wheels, AQM orients the spacecraft pitch axis perpendicular to

the sun and places the sun midway between the spacecraft roll and minus yaw axes (see

Figure 2-3). During the process of sun acquisition, but after the spacecraft is brought to a

safe sun attitude with respect to instrument coolers, the solar array is slewed to face the

sun while the spacecraft is simultaneously brought to a final safe sun attitude. In steadystate

operation, the AQM rotates the spacecraft about the sun line in order to provide

thermal, power, and attitude safety, as well as maximum telemetry and command

access. Unlike STM, however, AQM does not control spacecraft momentum through

periodic adjustments to the spacecraft sun-line rotation rate and solar array offset from

sun normal.

I found these PDF's for anyone looking for more information about a GOES satellite.

There are 20 Sections which means 20 PDF's. The first one is http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/text/GOES-N_Databook_RevC/Section01.pdf and the last one http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/text/GOES-N_Databook_RevC/Section20.pdf

Good information with lots of detail.

A priority scan feature allows improved scheduling of small area and mesoscale scans

for short range forecasts and storm warnings. Imager large area scans of 3000×3000 km

(1864×1864 statute miles) are accomplished in 3 minutes; small area scans of

1000×1000 km (621×621 statute miles) can be made in 41 seconds; the full earth can be

imaged in 26 minutes. A 3000×3000 km area can be sounded in 43 minutes.

GOES-15 is producing images and Spaceweather data again. Now we know what Sun ACQ mode is but Why it happened is the question that's why I brought up the possibility of the SEU which can cause satellites to do things like that without any commands. The high energy electron flux has been high now for at least a week. As an aside, recent studies indicate that dumping in the wake of intense gemag events can also extend to the inner belt as well which can pose a risk to lower orbit satellites.

Steve

GOES-15 is producing images and Spaceweather data again. Now we know what Sun ACQ mode is but Why it happened is the question that's why I brought up the possibility of the SEU which can cause satellites to do things like that without any commands. The high energy electron flux has been high now for at least a week. As an aside, recent studies indicate that dumping in the wake of intense gemag events can also extend to the inner belt as well which can pose a risk to lower orbit satellites.

Steve

Wasn't an SEU. It was an error during regular housekeeping maneuvers.

A question for ohleary or dtk, which would have a greater impact on the operational models: a goes satellite outage, the possible future polar orbital satellite gaps, both? Thanks!

For global NWP, most certainly a gap in the polar orbiters would have a larger impact. The biggest impact from geos satellites actually comes from the assimilation of AMV products (we do assimilate sounder as well as some imager radiances, but the impacts are very small).

This may change as newer technology comes online such as GOES-R, improvements to height assignments for AMVs, etc.

For global NWP, most certainly a gap in the polar orbiters would have a larger impact. The biggest impact from geos satellites actually comes from the assimilation of AMV products (we do assimilate sounder as well as some imager radiances, but the impacts are very small).

This may change as newer technology comes online such as GOES-R, improvements to height assignments for AMVs, etc.

Thank-you !!!

Archived