• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Month-Early Magnolias in Michigan, and afterwards...

The unprecedented March torch, smashing records daily in the midwest, has caused tree buds are swelling and magnolias are in full blossom, a full MONTH early. Took these magnolia shots today. First one taken around 11am, the rest around 715pm as the sun was starting to set, casting a neat light on the flowers. I have NEVER seen them this early in MI, never.

3164-800.jpg

3165-800.jpg

3166-800.jpg

3167-800.jpg

3168-800.jpg

3169-800.jpg

3170-800.jpg

Great photos, Josh.

Many flowers have been out unusually early in the NYC area. Currently, magnolias are in bloom, some tulips are in bloom, Cleveland pear trees are in bloom, among others. The persistent warmth over the winter capped by the exceptional warmth now underway has led to some memorable untimely spring scenes.

Great photos, Josh.

Many flowers have been out unusually early in the NYC area. Currently, magnolias are in bloom, some tulips are in bloom, Cleveland pear trees are in bloom, among others. The persistent warmth over the winter capped by the exceptional warmth now underway has led to some memorable untimely spring scenes.

Thanks don. I dont think winter had anything to do with it, Ive noticed that greenups here are more to do with the spring weather. We did have some cold blasts in winter of course, and Im sure the snow-melt-snow-melt cycle caused plenty of mold, but had this been a cold spring you better believe wed be dormant til May lol. I was born May 8, 1983, after one our most infamous winterless winters in SE MI (worse than this year for sure), but a cold spring followed, much unlike this year. I have a pic of my mom holding me outside the house, presumably May 10th, and the trees look to be at the same stage they are now, just swelling buds. On the flip side, the brutally cold 1944-45 winter was torched away with an incredible March warmspell (second only to this current one), and vegetation was 5 weeks early, in what sounds like a match to this present greenup (though no such records are kept, I assume 1945 and 2012 are the earliest greenups experienced in the last 100 years in this region).

That's what they look like here as well. Kind of sad actually.

Whats funny is that yesterday they all looked fine even though it did get down to 34F yesterday morning...this morning, lol, the magnolia tree in my comparison pic, the way the sun was hitting it it looked like the rust/brown-colored foliage some trees sport in mid-late October :lol:

Figured Id use this thread for any pics of possible spring destruction due to frosts, etc. Some talk of some cherry crops being completely destroyed in northern MI with the freezes.

Since our March "heatwave" caused the month early greenup....DTW has had the following lows AOB 35F:

3/26: 32

3/27: 29

3/29: 35

3/30: 33

3/31: 35

4/02: 34

4/05: 34

4/06: 30

4/07: 32

While these arent hard freezes officially (some outlying areas have had some), I wonder what if any effect numerous frosts/light freezes will have (as opposed to a few hard freezes). Bugs have been killed off, as have a few flowers, but thats all Ive noticed thus far. My car at 7:30am today (4/7)

3177-800.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This should be the last post in this thread, as the weather looks to warm. This last freeze, April 29th, was probably the worst of them since the growing season got premarturely going. Lows over most of the immediate metro-Detroit area were in the upper 20s, the outlying burbs more in the mid-20s, and further north and where most of the fruit is grown, temps were in the upper teens to low 20s. Damage is very extensive, i didnt like the historic March warmspell as it was, but we ended up with an even higher than usual number of frost/freezes this April, so pretty much every farmers fears have come true. Even here in suburbia, I notice tons of trees with brown tints, Ive never seen this before. As a cold weather lover in the first place, I blame the March warmth rather than the April cold lol

http://msue.anr.msu...._april_30_2012/

The rooftops on April 29th had a more icy rather than frosty look, it was kinda weird lol

3179-800.jpg

Archived