• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Happy 2nd Anniversary of the "Big Dog"

eyewall

This was one of my best local snow chases into an intense meso band in association with a storm we dubbed "the big dog" 2 years ago today. This was the early morning hours of 3/3/10. I was never able to confirm if there was in fact lightning as thunder was never heard but there were flashes that didn't appear to be transformer related.

2009/2010 was an awesome winter in N C.We received a total of 32 in of snow that winter .Tha's the most i've ever saw during a winter season.The snow on March 2nd hit us during the daytime .Stuck to everything and gave us 5 in .I'm sure received more but it was beautiful watching it fall.I hope and pray next winter resembles the 09/10 winter.

I've seen about 150 snow storms in my life and am impressed by the intensity of the snowfall in your video. Because the human eye sees snowfall better than a camera does, it must have been mighty impressive to see in person!

Excellent chase.

Tim in ILM

:pimp:

Thank you and yes you are correct in the camera not capturing it nearly as well as it actually appears in person. YouTube compression is another issue as well. Thank you!

I remember this storm made me incredibly angry IMBY and then even more mad when you posted your video! :axe:

Got 0.8" when RAH said at 6pm:

"...Hourly snowfall rates in excess of an inch per hour may

occur in this band. Due to convective elements... there should be

a high variability in snowfall totals... even from County to

County. Therefore... we will give a range of 2-5 inches... but

local amounts in the 6-8 inch range will be possible."

accum.2010302.gif

I remember this storm made me incredibly angry IMBY and then even more mad when you posted your video! :axe:

Got 0.8" when RAH said at 6pm:

"...Hourly snowfall rates in excess of an inch per hour may

occur in this band. Due to convective elements... there should be

a high variability in snowfall totals... even from County to

County. Therefore... we will give a range of 2-5 inches... but

local amounts in the 6-8 inch range will be possible."

accum.2010302.gif

I know how you feel and I paid the price for it. I sat in that spot in the traffic jam in the video for 3 hours until it was nearly daybreak. When I got back to Southern Pines there was maybe an inch on the ground. As for the totals this map is not entirely accurate. The 8" totals need to be extended into Lee County.

Archived