Not sure I have done one of these before - confidence is low

Overall M/A/M Temps: Normal

Overall M/A/M Precip: 10.50-11.50", normal/slightly above

March: Normal to +1

April: -1

May: Normal to +1

Warmest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Brownsville/Orlando

Coldest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: International Falls/Fargo/Montana

Wettest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Memphis/Little Rock - Just east of that corridor

Driest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Central Plains/Front Range

Analogs: 1975, 2002

EDITED: 2/24

Nice outlook. I see you say your confidence is low. I don't think analog's are a good predictor of what is to come this year.

I agree with you on march and may. I do not think April will end up 1-2 below though. I think april is -.5 to +.5.

Good luck :popcorn:

my confidence on the monthlies couldnt be any lower....so I don't disagree with you...it honestly wouldnt surprise me if it torches....2 of my 7 analogs torched in April, but in 2002 we were in a drought, so I'd temper it a bit...that's part of the reason I threw in the CONUS stuff...If I miss locally, but do well with my anomalies in the places with the strongest signal I won't feel as bad

Overall M/A/M Temps: Normal to -1

Overall M/A/M Precip: 9-10", slightly below normal

April: -1 to -2

May: Normal to -1

Warmest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Tucson/Brownsville/Orlando

Coldest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: International Falls/Fargo

Wettest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Memphis/Little Rock

Driest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Sacramento/Miami/Southern New England

Analogs: 1939, 1950, 1975, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2008

Early Peek at summer (not a summer outlook): slightly above overall, Hot June, equal chances on July/August

nice forecast.......I heard WEATHER53 is going COLD and Snowy for June and July

Wettest Spring Anomalies for CONUS: Memphis/Little Rock - Just east of that corridor

I tweaked it lol...confidence is still in the basement

2000 is a good enso, ao, and noa match. Teleconnection behavior during the winter of 99-00 is very similar to this year so far. The Nina was a lot stronger but it faded during spring/summer.

I might be misreading your analogs though. Is your 1999 analog for the 99-00 season for the spring of 1999?

It was 98-99, but I tossed it

It was 98-99, but I tossed it

Gotchya. I ran temp maps for Mar-May for 2000 and they look alot like your forecast so it may not be a bad analog. When I dug into the AO stuff back in December, 99-00 stood out as one of the best analogs for this winter but the weenie in me didn't want to believe it. Other than some cold weather in Jan 2000, the winter ended up being quite similar.

If we have another Nina, 00-01 could be a really good analog for the upcoming winter. MBY had 11" of snow that year and it would feel like a blockbuster after this year but this discussion is for a future thread and then Ji can cancel it.

Gotchya. I ran temp maps for Mar-May for 2000 and they look alot like your forecast so it may not be a bad analog. When I dug into the AO stuff back in December, 99-00 stood out as one of the best analogs for this winter but the weenie in me didn't want to believe it. Other than some cold weather in Jan 2000, the winter ended up being quite similar.

If we have another Nina, 00-01 could be a really good analog for the upcoming winter. MBY had 11" of snow that year and it would feel like a blockbuster after this year but this discussion is for a future thread and then Ji can cancel it.

2000-2001 had good snows from philly north. I do think based on all factors 2000 is the best analog.

• 1 month later...

temp call so far is awful...precip call pretty good.....wettest anomalies so far just west of my corridor and including Little Rock....Driest pretty good too, prediction a little south of where the driest is

• 1 month later...

so far pretty bad....March was a D, I don't feel that bad about April...There was a mean trough in the great lakes and Mid Atlantic...We are just battling against antiquated norms to some extent so I should have gone warmer....generally the region was right around normal, though on the high side usually so I give it a C....my conus temps anomalies have been an F...precip not that bad...just push everything west a bit (wet plains, dry rockies)...but May perhaps could shift it all east though not as far east as my prediction I think..all in all pretty rotten but could be worse I guess

Archived