joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/29-3/2 Storm Threat

Grothar

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EC is milder compared to 12z...tiny burst of snow on the front end just northwest of Philly at the onset and then the snow/no snow line quickly retreats to above the Lehigh Valley

Yeah its milder and the initial low comes off the coast slightly farther to the north than the 12z run. The ensemble mean (which has been the case the last three runs) is running slightly farther to the north than the op. Lots of uncertainty around the 850mb 0C field which I'm suspecting is N/S displacement. BTW high confidence about the placement of the surface high in Quebec,

BTW high confidence about the placement of the surface high in Quebec,

Placement, yes, but this forecast is a lot about the strength of it, too, right? The GFS is about 5mb weaker with it and doesn't dam nearly as much, which is why you don't see the snow getting much farther south than the NY border.

Placement, yes, but this forecast is a lot about the strength of it, too, right? The GFS is about 5mb weaker with it and doesn't dam nearly as much, which is why you don't see the snow getting much farther south than the NY border.

I should have put strength too, the Euro freebie site both have 1030+ highs. I was just comparing op Euro vs ensemble mean Euro.

The 06z GFS still gives MPO about 0.4" of non-liquid w/e at the start, ABE around an inch or so of some slop.

verbatim, phl intl sees basically nothing in terms of snow per gfs if you go off soundings.

The last few runs of a few of the models have been trending slightly colder. I think the N/W suburbs are slowly increasing thier chances of seeing some frozen precip. However, what does fall will not last long. The Lehigh Valley may have some icing problems.

The last few runs of a few of the models have been trending slightly colder. I think the N/W suburbs are slowly increasing thier chances of seeing some frozen precip. However, what does fall will not last long. The Lehigh Valley may have some icing problems.

Actually the 6Z NAM and 0Z EC trended warmer.

Am I missing something? I haven't seen ANY model that brings precip in by 12z Wed. Not that it can't happen (it often starts earlier than many models). But a categorical "snow before 8am" as close to Phila. as Montgomery Co, PA? Not even "chance"? Even the coldest model, the NAM keeps measurable snow well north of even our N&W burbs. Our own RPM model doesn't even have it snowing in the Poconos (and it was the best model, by far, in the Friday Fiasco-only brought PHL to 48, while NAM had 71 and GFS 68!)

Again, my question is less about the specific forecast than the certainty with which it appears (both in forecast and discussion).

Glenn

Am I missing something? I haven't seen ANY model that brings precip in by 12z Wed. Not that it can't happen (it often starts earlier than many models). But a categorical "snow before 8am" as close to Phila. as Montgomery Co, PA? Not even "chance"? Even the coldest model, the NAM keeps measurable snow well north of even our N&W burbs. Our own RPM model doesn't even have it snowing in the Poconos (and it was the best model, by far, in the Friday Fiasco-only brought PHL to 48, while NAM had 71 and GFS 68!)

Again, my question is less about the specific forecast than the certainty with which it appears (both in forecast and discussion).

Glenn

That would have to be a helluva push of moisture early and often to get it in by 8 AM...an no model has anything in near Philly by 8.

Not an easy storm to forecast...especially for Minneapolis. You wanna see a storm snowfall forecast change faster than Bolaris changes girlfriends?

http://www.minnesotaforecaster.com/2012/02/capricious-models-blamed-for-changing.html -- link to post...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Appevum3PEdzdEYyRHJRc0FDVks4aktPbkhDRmw5NHc -- link to forecasts....

Not an easy storm to forecast...especially for Minneapolis. You wanna see a storm snowfall forecast change faster than Bolaris changes girlfriends?

http://www.minnesotaforecaster.com/2012/02/capricious-models-blamed-for-changing.html -- link to post...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Appevum3PEdzdEYyRHJRc0FDVks4aktPbkhDRmw5NHc -- link to forecasts....

thats a neat google link.

i've never seen that before.

Archived