• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 1905-1906

I've found a winter which looks remarkably similar to this current winter in Toronto in terms of mildness and snowlessness. 1905-1906. Remarkable warmth and lack of snowfall.

December 1905:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=5051&mlyRange=1840-01-01|2006-12-01&cmdB1=Go&Month=12&Year=1905&Day=7

Was this a La Nina winter? Look at the snow totals! 15.5 cm in December, 10.9cm in January, 9.3cm in February!

I've found a winter which looks remarkably similar to this current winter in Toronto in terms of mildness and snowlessness. 1905-1906. Remarkable warmth and lack of snowfall.

December 1905:

http://www.climate.w...Year=1905&Day=7

Was this a La Nina winter? Look at the snow totals! 15.5 cm in December, 10.9cm in January, 9.3cm in February!

You have alot of free time lol.

Hmm based on the data I have it was a moderate-strong Nino.

March 1906 is the snowiest March on record for Indianapolis with 30.4". Matter of fact, it's the second snowiest month ever (#1 is January 1978 with 30.6").

Concur with Snowstorms though, it was a mod Nino...though slowly fading in Jan, Feb, and Mar.

I wonder if that was a single storm or something?

I just peaked at the data here and i am near certain it was one of the least snowiest winters ever for this part of MI. Heck Here, Lansing and even Grand Rapids ( which is incredible considering their location to the lake and seasonal average ) ended up with just 18.0" for the season. Per GRR it was a very warm winter.

I just peaked at the data here and i am near certain it was one of the least snowiest winters ever for this part of MI. Heck Here, Lansing and even Grand Rapids ( which is incredible considering their location to the lake and seasonal average ) ended up with just 18.0" for the season. Per GRR it was a very warm winter.

Looks like this is the early 20th century equivilent to 2011-2012...so far.

No, it wasn't a single storm. Until 1960 came along, it was the coldest March on record for Indy. That being said...

My data that I've researched for the LAF area has these events (3"+) in March of 1906:

3/11-12: 8.2"

3/13: 3.2"

3/15-16: 5.9"

3/19-20: 13.5"

March daily record snowfalls broken in 1906 for Indy:

3/13: 5.0"

3/19: 12.1" (highest calendar day snowfall of any month on record)

You have alot of free time lol.

Hmm based on the data I have it was a moderate-strong Nino.

Haha. Not really. What happened was that I read on Tom Skilling's blog that the only other time since 1870 that Chicago had got this far into winter without a reading below 0F was 1905-1906. I then cross referenced that to Toronto using EC's data and discovered the incredible similarity to this winter in terms of both temperature and snowfall.

there was a fading El Nino in 1905-06 that peaked in the Summer of 1905...The winter of 05-06 was a torch in NYC until February...only two snowfalls before Feb...1.0" on 12/9-10...1.5" on 1/8...December and January were well above the average for that time...February and March were colder with a 6" snowfall on 2/9...A 6.5" snowfall on 3/15 and a 5" snowfall on 3/19...The coldest temperature for the season was seven on 3/7...That is near or is the record for the coldest temperature so late in the season in NYC...20" of snow fell for the season which is about 70% of average...

Archived