• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Blizzard of 1996

Chris L

the memories. I have a lot of things to be posted for it which I will try to do it.

Reading had 37 inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGgilSw5LPY&list=PL313C35102354950B&index=18&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNzzY8Kyn7I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59WNaCZIu0&feature=related

go to 4:04, shows the snow totals so far as high as 32 inches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nKk77zH-PA&feature=related

: JAN 6, 1996 snow forecast amounts by Hurricane. Very low for now... then we all know what happened.

From a pure snow perspective, the perfect storm. In Jan 1996 I was 19, and it was as if every failed storm of my childhood was resurrected in this one epic dumping. I knew it was for real when I Ieft for work my work in Madison NJ, and Philly was all snow, already a foot, and temp was dropping...growing up in North Jersey, the Philly changeover had been the harbinger of every epic fail of the 1980's, and to hear that Philly was getting hammered with no changeover, I knew this storm was different.

One of my favorites as well. This was a Sunday storm I think? Eagles beat the Cowboys that day if I have the right year. Monday was declared a State of Emergency in PA. I recall Tuesday morning finally venturing out to work with some roads closed due to drifting. I took the main highways of course armed with a shovel in the back seat. The drifts!

My 2nd would be Feb. 1983. My one and only witness of thunder and lightining during a snow storm.

Brings back memories.On thursday and friday there was uncertainty about how far north the storm would get with philly on the north edge. I have never anticipated a model run more than the ETA on friday night. The friday AM run had been very promising but didn't go out far enough in time. Things looked good as the early time steps trickled in on dial-up. Then the 48-hr prog finally came-in. A massive hit with a big omega bullseye literally overhead. Surprised that Boleris was so conservative on Saturday.

Brings back memories.On thursday and friday there was uncertainty about how far north the storm would get with philly on the north edge. I have never anticipated a model run more than the ETA on friday night. The friday AM run had been very promising but didn't go out far enough in time. Things looked good as the early time steps trickled in on dial-up. Then the 48-hr prog finally came-in. A massive hit with a big omega bullseye literally overhead. Surprised that Boleris was so conservative on Saturday.

All week long, Elliot Abrahmns of Accu weather was talking about a potential big snowstorm the upcoming Sunday and Monday. My local TV mets kept saying we might get flurries but Virginia and North Carolina were going to get hit hard. That Friday morning before leaving for work,again my local TV met said the storm would be no big deal for the Lancaster area. I remember listening to Elliot on the radio that morning on 910 WSBA at 8:45 and he said there was one computer model, if it was right, we would be going no where come Monday morning (that model was the Euro and for most of the week was the model showing this storm) Still that night my local TV mets were not calling for much, light snow at the most. I watched Weather World and Lee Grenci said eastern Pa was in for a big snowfall. Saturday morning, accu weather on 910 was calling for 6-12". At noon time i remember their update. A storm rivaling the Blizzard on 1983 was on the way with snow fall amounts of 12-24" with considerable blowing and drifting. My local TV met on the news that Saturday night ( who happened to be Heather Tesch who at the time, worked at WGAL channel 8)) called for several inches. We all know who ended up being right!

I was on the swim team at Drexel University at the time. We were on winter break and while I was at home in Bear, DE at the time, the rest of the team was on a training trip in Southern California. I was too poor to go. My uncle loaded me and my stuff up in his giant pickup and drove me back to the dorms in the middle of it. The rest of the team was stranded in SoCal so I just played some football on the astroturf field they have with other students that were able to make it back.

Archived