• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Port Jefferson family honored for 127 years of weather record keeping

yhbrooklyn

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/weather-service-honors-strong-family-1.3426435

http://online.wsj.com/article/APba253034a57149d38111313fb474e6ec.html

Associated Press

PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. — A Long Island family has been honored for supplying the National Weather Service with weather records for four generations.

The family tradition began in 1885 with Selah Brewster Strong Jr., who set out to record weather data on a small peninsula in Port Jefferson Harbor.

On Tuesday, William Strong Jr. — the great-grandson of Selah Strong — .received a federal commendation at the weather service's Upton facility.

According to Newsday (http://bit.ly/AEH8bO), the Family Heritage Award is reserved for families that have dedicated a century or more to the nation's welfare. It recognized the Strong family's 127 years of weather tracking as a "remarkable achievement."

The Strongs are part of a program of observers who track daily precipitation and high and low temperatures and supply the results to the weather service.

Guest Pamela

Our William?

<Gee, I got an award and they didn't even tell me...no respect, I tell ya...> <Ends R.D. impression>

Unfortunately...my family moved to Port Jeff 109 years later, in 1994...so I've got a ways to go before I can hope to capture such an honor...kudos to the Strong family for their many years of service to the government....

Guest Pamela

I believe that our William's snowfall measurements are more accurate.

Certainly do not wish to be critical in a thread honoring the family...but from the snowfall chart you posted....obviously an enormous amount of missing data...especially over the last 30 years...

Certainly do not wish to be critical in a thread honoring the family...but from the snowfall chart you posted....obviously an enormous amount of missing data...especially over the last 30 years...

Likewise. Keeping a commitment for maintaining any sort of record for that long deserves the recognition that they got. Of course being the climate enthusuast that I am, I always wish for more and better.

Thanks. Here is a summary of the climate records from Setauket. Some of the missing data is significant, but it is still quite an accomplishment for a single family to have mainatained this record.

post-290-0-38653700-1325792222.jpg

Great data. I am sure that there are many on this board who would have liked to have seen February 1934.

February 1934 Setauket Strong

Archived