• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
New Study Shows Extremely Limited Income Increase From Advanced Degrees

Some thoughts from people who obtained advanced degrees in the atmospheric sciences?

http://www.dailyfina...worth-the-debt/

‎"On the low end of the scale, the worst graduate major for salary improvement is meteorology, which only improved wage prospects by 1%."

As someone who applied to attend graduate school this upcoming Fall and will begin hearing back shortly, this is really discouraging. Obviously meteorology is not the field to be in if you want to make big bucks but I figured a Master's in a hard science like this would be easily worthwhile, if not only to earn more than to gain employment chances. I could swear that I've seen plenty of job listings for meteorologists for competitive positions that require a Master's, not only in the NWS but even within the private world. On the other hand, I am toying with the idea of going into research as a career, where an advanced degree is clearly necessary. In addition, I'd be going for free, so I don't see the student-debt angle for graduate school applying to meteorology. Could this simplistic study not capture the reality of our field, somehow?

Is this all for naught?

For what its worth, here is the actual study where I believe they drew their results from. I had no idea only 2.8% of majors were in the physical sciences.

http://www9.georgeto...th-complete.pdf

For the physical sciences overall, "about 48 percent of people with these majors obtain a graduate degree and, as a result, get an average earnings boost of 70 percent." Meanwhile, this study corroborates the earlier study about unemployment rates (could this be the same study?), showing 98% employment rates for meteorologists. Hm.

Within meteorology, the 75th percentile for income is $100,000 (!), and 36% obtain a graduate degree. Still, the study shows a 1% income boost from a graduate degree.

Some thoughts from people who obtained advanced degrees in the atmospheric sciences?

http://www.dailyfina...worth-the-debt/

[/color]

As someone who applied to attend graduate school this upcoming Fall and will begin hearing back shortly, this is really discouraging. Obviously meteorology is not the field to be in if you want to make big bucks but I figured a Master's in a hard science like this would be easily worthwhile, if not only to earn more than to gain employment chances. I could swear that I've seen plenty of job listings for meteorologists for competitive positions that require a Master's, not only in the NWS but even within the private world. On the other hand, I am toying with the idea of going into research as a career, where an advanced degree is clearly necessary. In addition, I'd be going for free, so I don't see the student-debt angle for graduate school applying to meteorology. Could this simplistic study not capture the reality of our field, somehow?

Is this all for naught?

I guess it's discouraging if you are going to base your level of happiness on the income of differential between B.S. and M.S. degrees in meteorology. In that case, your life is ruined! Ahh! If your goal is to work in the government, which is what most people try for at first, then your salary is already laid out for you anyway, so the whole discussion becomes irrelevant anyway. You won't make slightly more than someone with a B.S., you'll make same amount. You'll be a year ahead on the ladder since you'll start higher, but that just means you'll hit the ceiling sooner, and everyone has the same ceiling, so whatever.

I know a few folks who work for the government, with both M.S. and B.S. degrees, and I've never heard about them subtracting their salaries from each other and then getting demoralized about it. This article internet nonsense..

This is not to even mention that met majors are among the most employable graduates in the United States. A lot of people struggle to find jobs for awhile, but they just hang out in the comfort of the never-ending funding of academia until they find something. Higher education in meteorology is a no-lose situation.

From what the NWS mets at LOT and IWX said at their "roadshow" it sounds like, at least for the NWS, salaries are similar whether you have a B.S. or an M.S. (Having the M.S. might bump you up to GS-9 but it might not...I think) but that you almost need the M.S. just to get in the door.

What the article might not consider, although I'll admit I didn't actually read it, is that most or all Met students get grants for grad school. So if you can put up with the studies, it's definitely worth it. Even if it turns out to be all for naught, you didn't lose any money on the deal except 2 years' salary (but salaries are pathetic anyway). This argument can't be made for someone looking at med school, for instance.

Corporations and businesses have more or less made it a necessity to have an advanced degree nowadays in most fields. Meteorology happens to be one of few remaining fields where a masters is not necessary to get by. Even most high school teachers now are required at some point or another to get a masters degree. Its just an overkill due to the fact there are so many college grads now they need some way to be able to distinguish one person from another. The end result though is they pay no better for a position now that requires a masters that didn't require one 20 years ago.

I'm guessing the minimal impact advanced degrees have on broadcast mets plays a part in those numbers. Having an advanced degree is almost a necessity to advance in research.

I had the same thought about broadcast mets but also would stress that if you want a NWS job, you ought to get an MS as the field is no so competitive. Once your in it's true there is no difference once you reach your top but getting in is easier with a masters degree.

I had the same thought about broadcast mets but also would stress that if you want a NWS job, you ought to get an MS as the field is no so competitive. Once your in it's true there is no difference once you reach your top but getting in is easier with a masters degree.

Agree. If you're getting a masters with the goal of making more money in the NWS it wont help. It may help get you into a GS-13/14 SOO/WCM position moreso than others way down the line, but by that tme you're probably a GS-13 forecaster already. I'd recommend getting an MS degree to help get in tho...as the intern ranks are full of MS holders these days. Although qualified experience can match or override that education. Our last 3 intern spots here have all had MS degrees. The best practical goal, imo, of a master's degree should be to gain specialized knowledge in a certain area of interest...which can then be used to pursue a PhD.

If you head into research, air quality, or in some cases the private sector an advanced degree in meteorology helps a lot.

However, the difference may be offset by the energy sector, where a majority of the mets have B.S degrees, but this happens to also be the wealthiest sect of the salary scale for meteorologists.

In general a M.S or PHD helps you tremendously in getting a job, and in most cases in getting a higher salary. But it just depends on the situation.

Archived