• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather Newbie - General Questions!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and could use some advice. I'm a broadcast journalist considering a move over to the weather world because I'm so passionate about it. With that said, I want to start studying the art of forecasting and the language and techniques that go along with meteorology before I make the official switch over. I'm looking for very basic weather explanations at this point. Any advice as to the best way to get my feet wet would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and could use some advice. I'm a broadcast journalist considering a move over to the weather world because I'm so passionate about it. With that said, I want to start studying the art of forecasting and the language and techniques that go along with meteorology before I make the official switch over. I'm looking for very basic weather explanations at this point. Any advice as to the best way to get my feet wet would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Are you looking to go into broadcast meteorology (strictly TV/radio), or are you looking to switch over to a full-on Atmospheric Science B.S. degree?

The one key question you must ask yourself when considering making the transition is "doing I really want this as a career, or is this strictly hobby material?"

The best way to start learning the basics, besides reading this forum and reading other material online, is to take a basic weather course (101 or a forecasting course) at your university to use as a gauge as to how much you really want to be involved in weather in addition to picking up on the basics. Read discussions from here and from the NWS (usually the Area Forecast Discussion, or AFD) and do a google search for terms that you don't know as they pop up in the discussion... or just ask on here.

A good thread to read through (though quite long) is the "Reconsider majoring in meteorology!" thread, as it has a lot of insight into the field of professional weather forecasting and its ups and downs: http://www.americanw...in-meteorology/

There is also a recently-added Meteorology 101 sub-forum that you can read and ask questions on: http://www.americanw...eteorology-101/

Welcome......I don't intend to go "into" meteorology but I'll say that this forum alone is a huge resource of expert knowledge and good discussion on just about anything you could encounter weather wise.....from basics to model interpretation and storm tracking......I am addicted to it and would literally die if it went away......sometimes I think about changing careers but get nervous my passion may wane if it became my job but maybe.....read here a lot and follow links provided too.....that Meteorology 101 subforum is good too.....again welcome

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/index.php

UCAR's MetEd is a great resource to learn about the art of forecasting. You have to sign up, but it's completely free of charge. It's been a great help to me as I polish my forecasting skills for the insurance company I work for.

A great book for an introduction into weather patterns and subsequent severe weather is "Severe & Hazardous Weather".

Forecasting is a science as much as it is an art. If this is a career move, I'd recommend a degree in meteorology, or at least start taking some atmospheric science classes...thermodynamics, synoptic meteo, mesoscale meteo, etc. etc.

Weather forecasting is highly subjective and something that is learned and improved upon through experience and training. What works for one person may not work for another. In any case...it sounds like you want an intro to the basics, on which there are many good books out there. One that is great for novices and covers many angles and terms of basic weather forecasting is Tim Vasquez's Weather Analysis and Forecasting Handbook.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/waf/

Archived