• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Seasonal Snow to Date - PHL burbs

ChescoWx

Yeah I know it was just 1 freak October storm that accounted for most of the total...but for most of us North and West of I95 it has been a strong (by the numbers) start to winter 2011-12. For perspective I have recorded 9.4" of snow so far this season. That is the normal snow for the season through January 15th here in Chester County.

Of more interest is how little snow there has been my comparison for places that should have a lot more snow to date

East Nantmeal - 9.4"

Minneapolis - 8.4"

Portland Maine - 6.9"

Buffalo NY - 3.0"

Green Bay WI - 2.2"

Rochester NY - 2.1"

Chicago IL - 1.7"

Boston MA - 1.0"

Excellent viewpoint. Summer drought maybe for the midwest? Groundwater recharge will be an issue this spring. I hope things turnaround in January. Rainfall does not matter at this time- ground is frozen now for most of the these cities

Most of the Midwest gets significantly more precip in the summer than winter. I wouldn't say they are in serious danger yet.

Syracuse is the most amazing... they have normally had 30.7 inches of snow by this point. So far they've had 1.7". That's a 29" departure.

Reminds me a few years ago when Buffalo and the lake effect cities go walloped in January under similar conditions with 30 inch snowfalls. Very ironic- was that a La Nina year as well?

I mean in a more general sense, how are these numbers calculated? If I added up the 81-10 average daily rainfall for each of 365 days of any year in the period 81-10, would it equal the 81-10 yearly average total precip?

Like, over 30 years, if we find the average by adding 30 yearly totals and dividing by 30, would it be different than adding up the climo normal of each day of the year?

If so...how accurate is it to say that we're x inches below normal for snow this winter? Are we adding the climo avg snowfall of each day since 12/1, or are we taking a fraction of the average seasonal total that corresponds to the fraction of met winter that has passed?

Does that make any sense at all? This is really more a general climo/stats question than a question that specifically pertains to the thread topic, so I apologize for going OT.

I mean in a more general sense, how are these numbers calculated? If I added up the 81-10 average daily rainfall for each of 365 days of any year in the period 81-10, would it equal the 81-10 yearly average total precip?

Like, over 30 years, if we find the average by adding 30 yearly totals and dividing by 30, would it be different than adding up the climo normal of each day of the year?

If so...how accurate is it to say that we're x inches below normal for snow this winter? Are we adding the climo avg snowfall of each day since 12/1, or are we taking a fraction of the average seasonal total that corresponds to the fraction of met winter that has passed?

Does that make any sense at all? This is really more a general climo/stats question than a question that specifically pertains to the thread topic, so I apologize for going OT.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/normals/usnormals.html

Archived