• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NWS Service Assessment for April 2011 Tornadoes

Wow. A lot of ground covered in there. Looks like another NWS modernization may be in the works?

There wont be another "NWS modernization", but the best practices and recommendations of this survey will be implemented where needed by specific WFOs and Regional Headquarters, etc. These actions/responses are the same as those in conjunction with other storm/flood/aviation/marine/fire assessments performed every year by the NWS.

There wont be another "NWS modernization", but the best practices and recommendations of this survey will be implemented where needed by specific WFOs and Regional Headquarters, etc. These actions/responses are the same as those in conjunction with other storm/flood/aviation/marine/fire assessments performed every year by the NWS.

Oh yeah, by modernization I just meant maybe new standards across the board.

Oh yeah, by modernization I just meant maybe new standards across the board.

Not that either. After reading the recommendations and best practices of that assessment...it looks like different offices failed to follow existing directives and protocols in differing areas. No NWS-wide systematic errors we're deduced.

Just figured there would be some significant changes tabled with procedures following the major tornadoes this year. What with all the hoop-lah this year of eliminating tornado warnings for weak tornadoes, new tornado warning levels, post April 27 discussions about how the system may have failed, etc. Also for the much talked about assessment of the event in the last several months, I thought this would garner more discussions?

I suppose there isn't much beyond the current warning system that needs changing. It's solely up to an individual to act responsibly during a tornado warning and do the best they can to protect themselves.

Just figured there would be some significant changes tabled with procedures following the major tornadoes this year. What with all the hoop-lah this year of eliminating tornado warnings for weak tornadoes, new tornado warning levels, post April 27 discussions about how the system may have failed, etc. Also for the much talked about assessment of the event in the last several months, I thought this would garner more discussions?

I suppose there isn't much beyond the current warning system that needs changing. It's solely up to an individual to act responsibly during a tornado warning and do the best they can to protect themselves.

What we really need is for wide, violent tornadoes to avoid populated areas.  Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

There really isn't much that can be done. Maybe the best thing to do is to improve our forecasting up to the event (both in the hour timescale and day timescale)... for instance, compare the relative levels of preparedness between 4/27 and Joplin. 4/27 was well-forecasted and I think it was a best-case scenario for an event of that magnitude in a populated area where basements are not common in homes, power was knocked out, and mobile homes are prevalent. Whereas for Joplin, EMAs were not as ready and warnings were not taken as seriously amongst the public.

And realistically, we do not have the means to reduce FAR and keep POD constant with the technology and economic resources we have. Not sure sacrificing one for the other is the best option right now; years like 2011 are, after all, anomalies.

I think you're confusing the NWS assessment with the collaborative Impact-Based Warning Team sanctioned by the National Labor Concil in response to the Joplin and other tor events.

The IBWT has spent the last several months researching and accepting input from all WFO's, EMs, media, etc on what procedures will possibly lead to improving the NWS warning system and aide in better decision making by NWS customers during life threatening situations. This team has just concluded recently and they came up with 3 models for enhanced svr/tor warnings. These recommendations are now under review by NOAA and the NWS.

I found this report very insightful and gave a look into what extensive coordination it takes to make the public aware in dangerous situations. It also explores the human element involved and the toll it takes on the people responsible for getting these warnings out to the general public. The recommendations made could have only come about in a bizarre situation like April 27th. The takeaways from that experience will serve as an invaluable tool in the future.

To the NWS in the Southern Region....a belated "job well done."

Archived