• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Could a early warning earthquake detection system be in the works for the west coast?

A recent article out now says it is possible. a few months ago the University of California,Berkeley, The U.S. geological survey and 2 other universities. Started Testing on a Earthquakewarning system not yet in use for the public or real known to the public. The goal is to detect an Earthquake before it happens. by doing so if and when a Major Earth quake hits. People will be known ahead of times and many lives will be saved. The problem is we are till at least 3 years away from this becoming reality and then 5 years from this system becoming operational. Also the cost to get the system up and running is about $150 Million. In a time where the Government is trying to cut back on spending one might wounder where the funding will come from but they say they can do it.

For more on this and the article here it is. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Early+warning+system+closer+reality/5794734/story.html

My take on this is that it is a great Idea. It seams as if the number of Earthquakes in the world have increase recently. To let the public know ahead of time even just by 1 minute can do a lot to save lives. If all goes well with the testing Process and they can get the proper funding they need to get the system up and running do it. It is time we catch up to Japan as they have been 1 step ahead of us in the tech world for years now. It seams as if it is becoming a matter of when and where the next major earthquake strikes.

Just in the past few days there have been some decent sized earthquakes to affect the world nothing too major but close enough to make one wounder.

Time Magnitude Location 16 hours ago 4.0 Off the coast of Northern California 23 hours ago 6.1 Atacama, Chile 4 days ago 5.2 Baja California Sur, Mexico

Who cant forget the unusual activity in the central states Oklahoma just recently experienced a few earthquakes and several aftershocks. if you look back farther onTuesday, August 23, 2011, a 5.8 magnitude Earthquake shook the east coast by surprise even doing damage to the Washington monument and the National cathedral. Where and when will the next moderate to major Earthquake occur? Well no one can really predict the exact date and location but it is like a ticking time bomb bound to happen at anytime.

I am sure many of you have your own Thoughts and opinions on this topic would love to hear them.

I remember talk of the ionosphere warming directly above some major quakes recently. ie Japan, Haiti, Chile. Maybe they can somehow use that signal to predict them in the future. Interesting stuff.

It is True there were Indications of it where the Major quakes hit the past 5 years. Just look at the Japan Earthquake electron buildup the started 40 minutes prior which all had to do with the Ionosphere. Trying to use that factor to predict them would be a great idea.

Here is the Japan emergency earthquake warning system on March 11. They had a minute or two of warning, interrupted the tv, and two minutes after the first warning, the tsunami warnings were out.

That is Awesome the way they cut right in of course over here we would Probably make it part of the Emergency alert system we have now and use the sounds that are accompanied by it.

Looks as if things are heating up on the west coast 3 more Earth quakes have occurred all for the most part small but just more the reason to believe a big one is due to happen soon.

4.2 Off the coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico

3.8 Northern California

4.0 Off shore Northern California

You know nothing about seismology. We are all stupider for reading your posts. May god have mercy on your soul, because no geologist ever will.

--Someone with degrees in geology. Unlike you.

You know nothing about seismology. We are all stupider for reading your posts. May god have mercy on your soul, because no geologist ever will.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

something like the system that exists in Japan would be optimal for the West Coast... even a minute's warning can make the difference between life/death in many situations, especially in larger quakes.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

something like the system that exists in Japan would be optimal for the West Coast... even a minute's warning can make the difference between life/death in many situations, especially in larger quakes.

Different kind of setting so of less utility, particularly in SoCal. In LA, the dangerous earthquakes aren't HUGE (b/c the San Andreas is some distance from the heart of the populated area and while the quakes are big, they aren't OMGMEGATHRUST big). Rather they are merely big, with a particularly damaging kind of ground movement, shallow, and located very close to the populated areas (e.g. the earthquake on Northridge, which, IIRC, was on a blind thrust). The warning you'd get out of an earthquake like that is much less than you'd get out of a megathrust quake, which is big enough to be damaging even though it's some distance offshore and far enough away that you can create an appreciable warning time (tens of seconds). Frankly, the system might have more utility in the Pac NW, though you'd have to accept that you might go hundreds of years without really needing it.

Looks like things continue to heat up regardless of what you are saying. A 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake has now occurred in the western state of Guerrero in Mexico. This makes several days in a row with higher then normal activity out west. Over seas there is activity as well Ryukyu Islands there was a 5.8 Earthquake with multiple aftershocks still occurring.

Looks like things continue to heat up regardless of what you are saying. A 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake has now occurred in the western state of Guerrero in Mexico. This makes several days in a row with higher then normal activity out west. Over seas there is activity as well Ryukyu Islands there was a 5.8 Earthquake with multiple aftershocks still occurring.

It was pretty intense, I can assure you. I am in DF right now, actually. Was on the 2nd floor of an apartment building and it shook a lot. No damage, but easily the strongest I've ever felt.

It was pretty intense, I can assure you. I am in DF right now, actually. Was on the 2nd floor of an apartment building and it shook a lot. No damage, but easily the strongest I've ever felt.

Would be rather odd to be in one that strong for the first time The main thing is that for the most part from what I have heard and seen everything is ok out there. Now you got to wounder what tonight or tomorrow brings. I am no major expert in earthquakes just like to read up and follow up on the matter but multiple days in a row with increased activity along with the earthquakes getting bigger is pretty alarming when you thinking about it.

I know UC Berkley is devloping a system to make an alert system by detecting P-Waves before the S-Waves and L-Waves hit. Since P-Waves travel faster than the other two, it would provide a warning depending on distance from epicenter. There is already a private company that does a similar thing already.

http://www.seismicwarning.com/

Archived